Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Bindings (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/)
-   -   Binding angles question (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/124313-binding-angles-question.html)

63falcondude 02-01-2014 10:28 PM

Binding angles question
 
Hi everyone, I am experimenting with different binding angles and would like some advice. It is difficult for me to do jibs and jumps with my front binding > 9į. My board comes out from under me when I land (maybe I am leaning too far back). When I have them set at +/- 9į (duck) I feel more confident doing jumps but my front foot wants to go counterclockwise (regular stance). I tried +15/-12 and it just feels top far.

Mr_Orange 02-02-2014 01:51 AM

15/-15 is the most common stance. I use it at 23 inches, but i know people that use it with up to a 25 inch stance. It took me a second to get use the the whole 50/50 angle thing, but it feels pretty normal now.

If your board is sliding out from under and you're falling on your ass a lot, get your binding disks set up so you can shift your bindings from edge to edge and move them more towards your toe edge.

I got a gnu pickle and at first the asymmetrical heel cut thing tripped me out and i kept slipping out all the time too. I shifted the bindings and it was much better.

readimag 02-02-2014 08:07 AM

You might also be landing strait legged, with more pressure on one side so you are starting a turn right when you land. With out video I can’t really tell what you are doing but remember when you come off the rails or jumps have those knees bent.

63falcondude 02-02-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Orange (Post 1494001)
15/-15 is the most common stance. I use it at 23 inches, but i know people that use it with up to a 25 inch stance. It took me a second to get use the the whole 50/50 angle thing, but it feels pretty normal now.

If your board is sliding out from under and you're falling on your ass a lot, get your binding disks set up so you can shift your bindings from edge to edge and move them more towards your toe edge.

I got a gnu pickle and at first the asymmetrical heel cut thing tripped me out and i kept slipping out all the time too. I shifted the bindings and it was much better.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to move them forward but then my toes were way too far out. Ill play around with it and see if I can come up with anything.


Quote:

Originally Posted by readimag (Post 1494129)
You might also be landing strait legged, with more pressure on one side so you are starting a turn right when you land. With out video I canít really tell what you are doing but remember when you come off the rails or jumps have those knees bent.

Maybe... I might even be coming off the jumps like that. Ill post a video on YouTube and copy the link to here. Lol it's a bad one.

63falcondude 02-02-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readimag (Post 1494129)
You might also be landing strait legged, with more pressure on one side so you are starting a turn right when you land. With out video I canít really tell what you are doing but remember when you come off the rails or jumps have those knees bent.

Here's your video
Snowboard jump [FAIL] - YouTube

Mr_Orange 02-03-2014 07:04 AM

Oh i see. You're already getting lopsided in the midair. Few things that helped me with jumps. (I had a hard time with it):

One thing i tried when learning jumps early on is actually doing the jump slightly diagonally going from the left side of the jump to the right side (im regular too). As soon as i land i would immediately go into a slight toe side turn. As i got better i would do the diagonal less and less exaggerated. Then i would get comfortable landing more heel side heavy and riding away at a heel side turn. It made it easier than thinking about it in terms of trying to land perfectly straight for some reason.

Another thing i noticed was that later in the day the jumps would have grooves carved out at the take off from everyone jumping out the same spot. This can sometimes send you off in a specific direction. I usually try to take off jumps at a spot that's still flat and untouched.

I also practiced going straight and ollieing really fast 2-3 times right before the actual jump to get you warmed up.

A big game changer for me was grabbing method (but not a really tweeked one). My friend told me to try it, and i literally did all the jumps better than i ever have in one run. Even now, i tend to grab method if im airing something kind of sketchy. It seems to align you perfectly in the air.

You should also try to do an ollie at the takeoff. This makes you feel like you can control where your body position ends up at the peak of the jump. Try coasting through one jump with no ollie at all and then do the following jump with a hard ollie and a grab at the peak and feel the difference.

63falcondude 02-03-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Orange (Post 1496209)
Oh i see. You're already getting lopsided in the midair. Few things that helped me with jumps. (I had a hard time with it):

One thing i tried when learning jumps early on is actually doing the jump slightly diagonally going from the left side of the jump to the right side (im regular too). As soon as i land i would immediately go into a slight toe side turn. As i got better i would do the diagonal less and less exaggerated. Then i would get comfortable landing more heel side heavy and riding away at a heel side turn. It made it easier than thinking about it in terms of trying to land perfectly straight for some reason.

Another thing i noticed was that later in the day the jumps would have grooves carved out at the take off from everyone jumping out the same spot. This can sometimes send you off in a specific direction. I usually try to take off jumps at a spot that's still flat and untouched.

I also practiced going straight and ollieing really fast 2-3 times right before the actual jump to get you warmed up.

A big game changer for me was grabbing method (but not a really tweeked one). My friend told me to try it, and i literally did all the jumps better than i ever have in one run. Even now, i tend to grab method if im airing something kind of sketchy. It seems to align you perfectly in the air.

You should also try to do an ollie at the takeoff. This makes you feel like you can control where your body position ends up at the peak of the jump. Try coasting through one jump with no ollie at all and then do the following jump with a hard ollie and a grab at the peak and feel the difference.

This is perfect, I am going again this Saturday and will try it. Thank you!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2