Burton Cartels breaking - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Dutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 50
Default Burton Cartels breaking

Has anybody had any problems with 2014 cartels? I bought a pair, and they are pretty decent bindings functionally, but they have broken twice in the ~10 days I have used them. First time the plastic piece on the ratchet broke, and I just picked up a new one in the mountain rental shop. Seemed like a cheap part, but no biggie, easy to replace.
Then yesterday, my highback lean adjuster broke through the highback. It ripped totally through the foam and came out. The construction just doesn't seem very sturdy.
Anybody else had similar problems? Not sure if I should call Burton for new parts or just send the things back to Backcountry and get some 390 Bosses instead. I really don't want to wait 2 weeks with Backcountry for the return.
Dutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12
Default

I had a problem with the 2013 Cartels highback foam ripping off after 3 days on the mountain. Swapped them out for 2014s at my local shop and they've actually been fine.

My understanding is that Burton's warranty is awesome. I would give them a call and they'll fix you up. Hopefully just a fluke- they sell so many of these things that I think if there was a widespread problem we'd be hearing more about it.
Teslatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 297
Default

Call burton and they should hook you up. Their customer service is pretty good.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 135
Default

Burton warranty service is indeed awesome. Which why you likely will NOT hear about a widespread problem. I almost got a pair of cartels. I am fanboy for these:

THE REPUBLIC

Hinge disc is awesome and since the company is owned by Burton you get great binding and burton standing behind them.
scottb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 339
Default

If the bindings were a season or more old.. then yeah, having great customers definitely shines, but having new gear break on you while on the mountain can definitely leave a bad opinion. I had a similar problem with Rome, my 390's kept breaking left and right, I had to go through their customer service 3 or 4 times for new parts for practically new bindings. I'm glad they "took care of me", but unless they were to really go out of their way (ie. Replacing the entire binding, considering I keep having issues with a new set) then chances are, I won't be buying a Rome product for a while.

OP, this is your second problem in short time. Let them know you aren't too happy about it. I'd ask them about replacing the entire set for the same thing, if not this time around, at least if another issue pops up in short time. Either way, good luck.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Dutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 50
Default

I called Burton and they are sending me a new highback. Sadly, they said it would take 5 business days to ship, which means they aren't expediting the shipping. Pretty lame considering this is the second time they've broken and I had to pay to fix them the first time.
I have a feeling these will go back to Backcountry next time I have a stretch where I can't get on the mountain for a few days or if they break again. I just hope Burton has to foot the bill on that and not Backcountry.
Dutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NZRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 146
Default

Heaps of people on here rave about great Burton customer service, but I've read several where it has been crap. They should have something in place to get you up and running faster than 5 days.
I just brought some new Rome 390 Boss's, after a good run with old 390's. Hopefully they turn out to be good in the binding lottery.
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
kwillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Whistler/Australia
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutty View Post
Has anybody had any problems with 2014 cartels? I bought a pair, and they are pretty decent bindings functionally, but they have broken twice in the ~10 days I have used them. First time the plastic piece on the ratchet broke, and I just picked up a new one in the mountain rental shop. Seemed like a cheap part, but no biggie, easy to replace.
Then yesterday, my highback lean adjuster broke through the highback. It ripped totally through the foam and came out. The construction just doesn't seem very sturdy.
Anybody else had similar problems? Not sure if I should call Burton for new parts or just send the things back to Backcountry and get some 390 Bosses instead. I really don't want to wait 2 weeks with Backcountry for the return.
How did you break the high back lean adjuster? I ride with a group of guys where we mostly use cartels and I've only seen them break once when a guy hasn't folded his high back down at the chairlift and between the the lift and the ground it's ripped that thread out.
kwillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutty View Post
I called Burton and they are sending me a new highback. Sadly, they said it would take 5 business days to ship, which means they aren't expediting the shipping. Pretty lame considering this is the second time they've broken and I had to pay to fix them the first time.
I have a feeling these will go back to Backcountry next time I have a stretch where I can't get on the mountain for a few days or if they break again. I just hope Burton has to foot the bill on that and not Backcountry.
Compared to most of the other binding companies 5 days ain't bad, believe me. Also, you can just return these to backcountry and request a refund which will take 2 weeks. At the same time, order another set of cartels and get them sent out in 2 days. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRide View Post
Heaps of people on here rave about great Burton customer service, but I've read several where it has been crap. They should have something in place to get you up and running faster than 5 days.
I just brought some new Rome 390 Boss's, after a good run with old 390's. Hopefully they turn out to be good in the binding lottery.
Burton's customer service pisses all over Rome's...good luck with your 390s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwillo View Post
How did you break the high back lean adjuster? I ride with a group of guys where we mostly use cartels and I've only seen them break once when a guy hasn't folded his high back down at the chairlift and between the the lift and the ground it's ripped that thread out.
This.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Dutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 50
Default

I wouldn't say Burton's customer service pisses all over Romes. I had a set of 2008 Rome arsenals where the straps wore out after 5 seasons. They sent me a new set of straps, no charge. I didn't ask for them to be expedited, so I have no idea if they would have shipped them faster if I requested, but that at least puts them equal to Burton in my experience.
I have no idea how the adjuster came out, it looks like it just ripped through the foam. I always put it down before I get on the lift, and I never felt it catch on anything. It could have been anything that happened to it, but there is no other sign of damage on the binding other than where the adjuster busted through the foam.
Dutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums