What are you riding on your Skunk Ape? 2014/15 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 50
Default What are you riding on your Skunk Ape? 2014/15

Howdy All, first time caller, long time listener...

Sorry to start a new thread on this, but I wanted to get some insight on 13/14/15 bindings....

Just put my first day in on a new Skunk Ape and it was fucking awesome. I was using '14 missions on the thing and it was fine, but I figured, why not splurge on some kick ass bindings for the thing, eh? (And also take advantage of end o' season deals...)

Been boarding on and off since my Kemper Rampage 150 in 1988. I rarely leave the ground anymore, been looking at the Genesis but I'm worried its too soft, worried the diode is too stiff... Don't want to F around with NOW or Flux as it appears they don't fit my US 14 Imperials...

I'm 6'4" 240, with a 165 Skunky, and just wondering what binding any of you similar freeriders are using on your Skunk Apes, or comparable boards...
booron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 6,173
Default

I have large Flux DMs and I'd be surprised if they wouldn't fit 14s. They're adjusted almost as small as possible to fit my 10.5s and there's a ton of adjustment left in them.
__________________
"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowDogWax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slip Fusion, PA
Posts: 776
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Just got SkunkApe HP 165 plan on Union Contact Pro's
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
Just got SkunkApe HP 165 plan on Union Contact Pro's
You have big feet? I've heard those Union heel cups are too narrow for big boots....
booron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowDogWax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slip Fusion, PA
Posts: 776
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booron View Post
You have big feet? I've heard those Union heel cups are too narrow for big boots....
12 Solomon heel cup seems to be ok, would check it out before buying.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
destroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 365
Default

Got a '14 Skunk Ape 165 HP in the mail... should arrive this week. I rode a 2015 165 Ape HP with my Now Drives and loved it.

I ride size L 2014 Now Drive's with size 13 2014 DC T Rice boots. I've still got some room left on the straps and could definitely fit a larger boot in. More room that my size L 2013 Burton bindings. I also strap my shit down absolutely as tight as it goes.

I'd highly reccomend the 2015 Selects or the Drives from Now on the board. They're fantastic and all the good things anyone says about them is true. They work together very well.

I'm not sure how wide a boot the Imperial is though. Burton generally doesn't make any really wide boots, and their boots are really small profile wise with the "shrinkage tech" they use. So you should be able to fit...
__________________
2007 GNU 11up 162w / 2012 GNU Carbon Credit 162w / 2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic 158w / 2013 GNU Eco Genetics 162 / 2013 Lib Tech Birdman 180 / 2013 Lib Tech T. Rice Banana Hammock 164
2007 Burton Custom Brew / 2013 Burton Malavita / 2013 Malavita Restricted / 2014 Now Drive
2013 Burton Ambush / 2014 DC Travis Rice

Last edited by destroy; 03-23-2014 at 01:37 AM.
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowDogWax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slip Fusion, PA
Posts: 776
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy View Post
Got a '14 Skunk Ape 165 HP in the mail... should arrive this week. I rode a 2015 165 Ape HP with my Now Drives and loved it.

I ride size L 2014 Now Drive's with size 13 2014 DC T Rice boots. I've still got some room left on the straps and could definitely fit a larger boot in. More room that my size L 2013 Burton bindings. I also strap my shit down absolutely as tight as it goes.

I'd highly reccomend the 2015 Selects or the Drives from Now on the board. They're fantastic and all the good things anyone says about them is true. They work together very well.

I'm not sure how wide a boot the Imperial is though. Burton generally doesn't make any really wide boots, and their boots are really small profile wise with the "shrinkage tech" they use. So you should be able to fit...
Herd others talking up the Now Drive's, My boots are Van's Acura 11.5 has a reduced footprint. Solomons 12 which are huge have been reduced to backup and will probably never see the slopes again. How do you like the SkunkApe HP .
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy View Post
Got a '14 Skunk Ape 165 HP in the mail... should arrive this week. I rode a 2015 165 Ape HP with my Now Drives and loved it.
...
So you didn't want to hold out for the 2015 with the Satanic/metal graphic, eh? I love this board so much that I think when I fully trash this current one, I might pony up the $700+ for the custom shop model in blank white to avoid any more "Quincy Quigly" top sheets...

Has anyone paired a Diode or a Genesis with the Ape? I hate to admit that this is a Minnesota board, and I'm worried that the stiffness of the Diode will kill me in the tracked out shit that happens after 9:30AM around here....
booron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowDogWax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slip Fusion, PA
Posts: 776
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Info that is not well known at least never mentioned by the freaks at TheGoodRide or any other reviews on the SkunkApe HP,
TRS pro TRS HP = Both have Extruded Bases
SkunkApe = Extruded Base
SkunkApe HP = Sintered Base

You bet I love the SkunkApe HP.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
destroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
Herd others talking up the Now Drive's, My boots are Van's Acura 11.5 has a reduced footprint. Solomons 12 which are huge have been reduced to backup and will probably never see the slopes again. How do you like the SkunkApe HP .
I demo'ed it with my 2014 Now Drives and DC T Rice boots back in February and it was daaaa shit. Little heavier than I'm used to (other than my big Birdman), but it rode like my other favourite Lib boards. I wasn't getting quite as much air as on my shorter boards, but it had so much stability and grip I loved it. I'm tempted to buy a 169 too! Now bindings are stellar, try 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booron View Post
So you didn't want to hold out for the 2015 with the Satanic/metal graphic, eh? I love this board so much that I think when I fully trash this current one, I might pony up the $700+ for the custom shop model in blank white to avoid any more "Quincy Quigly" top sheets...

Has anyone paired a Diode or a Genesis with the Ape? I hate to admit that this is a Minnesota board, and I'm worried that the stiffness of the Diode will kill me in the tracked out shit that happens after 9:30AM around here....
Hey, if you can't hang with the Quig and the true gnar top sheets, then maybe you're not a real Ape after all... and you should stick to the little sticks. I reccomend you try another sport...

Actually, I went for the 2014 'cuz I liked the topsheet on this year's better than next year's... that and it was like 30% off and I can still use it this season. We got another two months left up out here!

Only thing is... next year's HP model has a way sicker base! The perfect board never seems to line up with these things. It's been the case with a few other Lib boards in the past too. My Banana Magic is a boring base compared to the non-wide versions. With the Apes it's always either the regular version or the HP version has the nicer top or base, just something! Or in my case... I was gonna get a custom waterjet split done of the 169 HP Ape early this season, then I find out they're coming out with one next year... only it has plain, boring graphics on the top and the bottom! It's a stupid, silly problem... but it's nice to be fully stoked on something you're spending that much money on, even if it's something almost completely inconsequential like the graphics.

The custom shop ones will also not be made with Horsepower construction, something that matters to me personally. But if you're in Minnesota... you'll never get to appreciate gnarly freeride stuff anyway! Get out to the big mountains man!

But I stick by my reccomendation for the Now's. They handle the chop unbelievably well.
__________________
2007 GNU 11up 162w / 2012 GNU Carbon Credit 162w / 2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic 158w / 2013 GNU Eco Genetics 162 / 2013 Lib Tech Birdman 180 / 2013 Lib Tech T. Rice Banana Hammock 164
2007 Burton Custom Brew / 2013 Burton Malavita / 2013 Malavita Restricted / 2014 Now Drive
2013 Burton Ambush / 2014 DC Travis Rice
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skunk ape

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums