Best step in alternative - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Switch will have a performance downside once you progress, however. There's a reason everyone abandoned strapless step-ins en masse over the years. With the Switches your response is directly controlled by how tightly you lace into your boot. With straps, you can crank it down - how firmly you strap in becomes the factor. Granted, how well you lace in is still very important.

I swear by my NXT-AT's, and I liked my Cinches when I had them, but they both had straps over the boot. My very first board I bought as a used package and it had the Burton SI's with matching boots. I loved them.... until I progressed.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
.... until I progressed.
looking at your default just made me chuckle

Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless
Mr. Polonia is offline  
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah, I forgot, you're the boarder that never falls.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline  
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Member
 
ready2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
I had very little trouble with Switch step ins, at times you had to clear the boot so it could fully engage, but a quick swipe across the board cleat was usually all it took. I had little to no trouble with engagement using the Switch system. If it was still available I would choose it over straps or Flows. IMO it was more user friendly with no performance downside, at least not at my level.
alrite dude sorry im not trying to be that guy and cause trouble in your thread. you're just lookin for advice, my bad. flow makes good bindings and anything is better than step-ins. they have no highback so theres no heal edge support(i learned with them). whatever floats your boat dude as long as you're having fun, thats what shredding is about.

later
ready2shred is offline  
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM
puffnstuff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
there is a company thank still makes click in bindings in japan

edit: the company is Yonex http://en.item.rakuten.com/juiceinc/10yn073-076/

Last edited by puffnstuff; 03-13-2010 at 06:10 PM.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Marshmellow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've boarded a total of 8 years over the past 11 years. Granted I was a little one for the first 5 years (7-13), I still road enough to know a good amount about the different kinds of bindings.

I started with regular strap in bindings. Liked them, but didn't have the balance at first to really stand up and strap in. Then I moved into the craze of the strapless step ins. They were about the only ones that I never had to sit down to get in, however I would inevitably sit down when they would unlatch from my boot. Now I'm using K2 cinches. Very smooth to use, although sometimes I tighten my streps a little too tight and end up loosening them so I can lock the binding. Occasionally I end up sitting down simply because I loose my balance, but not often.

Long and drawn out: I guess what I'm saying is that Yes, balance has a lot to do with whether you need to sit down with any binding. However, step in's require less balance to "strap on" then regular strap ins. Experience also goes a long way too.

Also, about the plastic design of the Cinches: I wouldn't fret too much about them. Even though its plastic, its not chinsy plastic in the least. It honestly "feels" as strong as aluminium, even though it may not. Compared to my friends burton bindings, the plastic feels of a lot higher quality.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
PassTheDutchie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I rode the Flows for 7 hours yesterday, here's my experience. I had adjusted them at home and spent quite a bit of time getting them just right. That was worthwhile as I only had to add a click or 2 more on a couple buckles. I had very little trouble getting into the Flows standing up, felt like I wrestled with the a bit more early on, and got much smoother after an hour or two.
Performance wise I felt like these were kinda vague feeling compared to the 2010 Ride EX's I ran last week. That feeling of vagueness wore off after a couple hours, they just feel different than strap-ins IMO. I suspect there is a little feedback you give up to run Flows, and even at my beginer level I could feel it. However, as the night progressed I got used to the feel and I don't think they were holding me back at all.
The comfort on these are superb, many Flow reviews talk about how the pressure is distributed accross the large top-strap, which IMO is very true. Absolutely no pressure points and I was boarding for 7 hours.
So at the end of the day, these bingings accomplished what I expected them to. Get in and out of them easily w/o having to sit down, all day comfort (more so than straps in my experience), and don't cost me much (if any) performance. If maximum performance was my main concern, I would likely look to some kind of strap binding, but for what I've got going on, I like these.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
PassTheDutchie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2shred View Post
alrite dude sorry im not trying to be that guy and cause trouble in your thread. you're just lookin for advice, my bad. flow makes good bindings and anything is better than step-ins. they have no highback so theres no heal edge support(i learned with them). whatever floats your boat dude as long as you're having fun, thats what shredding is about.

later
That's big of you to say so, thanks. I agree, we're all just looking for ways to leverage technology to improve.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
PassTheDutchie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
I've boarded a total of 8 years over the past 11 years. Granted I was a little one for the first 5 years (7-13), I still road enough to know a good amount about the different kinds of bindings.

I started with regular strap in bindings. Liked them, but didn't have the balance at first to really stand up and strap in. Then I moved into the craze of the strapless step ins. They were about the only ones that I never had to sit down to get in, however I would inevitably sit down when they would unlatch from my boot. Now I'm using K2 cinches. Very smooth to use, although sometimes I tighten my streps a little too tight and end up loosening them so I can lock the binding. Occasionally I end up sitting down simply because I loose my balance, but not often.

Long and drawn out: I guess what I'm saying is that Yes, balance has a lot to do with whether you need to sit down with any binding. However, step in's require less balance to "strap on" then regular strap ins. Experience also goes a long way too.

Also, about the plastic design of the Cinches: I wouldn't fret too much about them. Even though its plastic, its not chinsy plastic in the least. It honestly "feels" as strong as aluminium, even though it may not. Compared to my friends burton bindings, the plastic feels of a lot higher quality.
I may try Cinches down the road, they look very nice. K2 is obviously very strong on engineering, so I'm sure it's a very sound design.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Member
 
Nitrogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
there is a company thank still makes click in bindings in japan

edit: the company is Yonex Rakuten - 09-10 YONEX YAB-XTR STEP IN BINDING ACCUBLADE binding step Akyubureido Yonex
LOL Yonex? Seriously? I always thought these guys were in the badminton department.
Nitrogen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome