Flow M9 vs NXT-AT - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flow M9 vs NXT-AT

Wondering which binding would be better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're both more for freestyle ride?

I do pretty much only free-riding and looking to pair it up with my k2 raygun.

My local shop has both of them for pretty cheap. Was wondering if I should pay a little more and get the NXT-AT's or would I be ok with the M9's.

Or would both of them be completely bad for free-riding?


Thanks.
WorstPlayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dont know about the M9s, but the NXT-AT's are for all mountain riding, they are on the stiffer side than most flows.
ginofultano is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
 
AcroPhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using Flow bindings since '04. I just bought a new pair of NXT's and they're great. Both the M series and NXT series are their upper tier bindings. The main difference is the NXT's have a metal base plate. The M series have all the same same tech that the NXT have except the plastic base plate and the 3-piece modular high-back that can rotate but these only come with the NXT-FSX and NXT-FSE models. Most of the M series and NXT have a 4-5 stiffness rating (5 is the stiffest) depending on which exact model you get. Check out Flow's website. They have full info on all their bindings including full specs and videos for each model. Hope this helps.
AcroPhile is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroPhile View Post
I have been using Flow bindings since '04. I just bought a new pair of NXT's and they're great. Both the M series and NXT series are their upper tier bindings. The main difference is the NXT's have a metal base plate. The M series have all the same same tech that the NXT have except the plastic base plate and the 3-piece modular high-back that can rotate but these only come with the NXT-FSX and NXT-FSE models. Most of the M series and NXT have a 4-5 stiffness rating (5 is the stiffest) depending on which exact model you get. Check out Flow's website. They have full info on all their bindings including full specs and videos for each model. Hope this helps.
I know the M9 and NXT are more freestyle oriented but, would they be ok for free-riding? I pretty much do only freeriding.

Also, that plastic base plate on the M9 worries me a bit. Would it be prone to cracking easier?

Now I sit here debating whether to spend an extra 30-40 bucks on the NXT and if it's worth it.
WorstPlayer is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are both fine for freeriding, since FLows in generally are stiffer then other bindings.

I would stick to the NXT series. I had a 2009 M9 highback snap in half from hard carving. Never had that happen on any binding before.
pencap75 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
They are both fine for freeriding, since FLows in generally are stiffer then other bindings.

I would stick to the NXT series. I had a 2009 M9 highback snap in half from hard carving. Never had that happen on any binding before.
I'm confused.

I thought both the NXT and M9's both have a 15% glass-field Nylon ventilated hiback.
WorstPlayer is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
 
AcroPhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorstPlayer View Post
I know the M9 and NXT are more freestyle oriented but, would they be ok for free-riding? I pretty much do only freeriding.

Also, that plastic base plate on the M9 worries me a bit. Would it be prone to cracking easier?

Now I sit here debating whether to spend an extra 30-40 bucks on the NXT and if it's worth it.
They all will work fine for freeriding. BUT.... according to their website, the NXT-AT is a Big Mountain/Freestyle
while the NXT-FRX is a Big Mountain/Freeride binding. M9 is an All Mountain/Freestyle and the M11 is All Mountain/Freeride
AcroPhile is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorstPlayer View Post
I'm confused.

I thought both the NXT and M9's both have a 15% glass-field Nylon ventilated hiback.
I don't know if they use the same highbacks for the m9 and nxt at (at least in the 2009 models), but all I know is my so called indestructible m9 highback snapped, but my NXT ats are still fine. I have since then retired my flows and mainly use Rides now (mainly for the canted footbed).
pencap75 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,493
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Same highback. He who broke his is an odd occurence. The way the binding works with the cable means that a super aggressive heelside turn gets stressed more on the cable than the highback. A 15% glass back on a traditional binding would feel like a Union highback, soft. They work on Flows cause the does most the work.

Get some AT's if you wanna freeride. Or if you wanna save some money get some M11's. M9's with a stiffer strap.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
 
AcroPhile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Same highback. He who broke his is an odd occurence. The way the binding works with the cable means that a super aggressive heelside turn gets stressed more on the cable than the highback. A 15% glass back on a traditional binding would feel like a Union highback, soft. They work on Flows cause the does most the work.

Get some AT's if you wanna freeride. Or if you wanna save some money get some M11's. M9's with a stiffer strap.
I have heard about the highbacks breaking several times both on the forum and from other people I have met riding. About a month ago I shared a chair at Breck with a guy that was actually riding on his Flows with a broken highback. They were NXT's too. The NXT- ATSE and NXT-FSE have different highbacks than the M series btw.
AcroPhile is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome