flow 5 vs k2 cinch or other flows? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
hikeswithdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minnesota Summer--Utah Winter
Posts: 1,012
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I think one thing is key with all these fast in\out bindings, is initial setup is key it's really important they are configured to fit your boot size and riding style.
hikeswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ShredTaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I just don't understand the powder complaint with Flows. That reputation should have died out once the mini ratchets were implemented.

Just release the two outer buckles and strap in like any other traditional binding in powder. Problem solved.
If only it were that easy. At least the bindings i was using, to get the buckles to release so you could strap in like standard bindings takes A TON of force, like they dont release easily. Every time I want to undo the foot strap i have to push as hard as i can to get it to release. Granted this is probably because ive only released the top strap 15 or 20 times total so they never got warn in and easy to do. I was always hesitant to undo the top strap because of how long they took to get dialed in in the first place, idk.

Again, I'm not dissing these bindings. I also didn't know that they had a "stigma" of being bad in the pow, this is just my personal experience. Opinions are like assholes...

Last edited by ShredTaos; 10-13-2011 at 05:54 PM.
ShredTaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
Please elaborate I've had zero issues nor has the other 2 riders I know and were in and out of our binders as fast or faster than others in our crew with flows.
What do you want to know? That there's a dead spot in the lateral flex where the hinge over laps? Or the fact that the pull down strap is poorly designed so that it pops out and people have to fidget with it? Lack of adjustability comes to mind as well. I love K2 stuff but the Cinch is just a gimmicky binding designed to appease the people that are too lazy to spend 10 seconds strapping in and bending at the waist. Flow has a better system that doesn't impede flexion. I will give K2 one credit their system opens up wider making it ever so slightly easier to get in but that is it. Worst binding I've ever used in my life and I've ridden some fucking turds.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,519
Default

It's not about being too lazy, its just more practical. I can strap in on the chairlift or flexing down on one hand and pulling the hinge with the other,(Like a starting runner) using the same effort you would put in scratching your calf, instead of dropping my ass on the snow and have the next rider drop in front of me. I am sure there are stiffer bindings out there, but what's some (alleged) lateral play do? the rider-boot-board system is flexible anyway, unless you refer to an alpine board. If you pair the CTX with a stiff and narrow profile boot (Driver-X) you get the best combination I think. After a 30 day season I only had to re tighten few screws around. I am not going back to regular bindings.
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06

Last edited by KIRKRIDER; 10-13-2011 at 06:51 PM.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,930
Default

Regaurdless of the typical debates, one huge decision for me was time. Everyone says it's only marginally faster. Our local hill is small in height and very crowded. So any time I can save was important to me. We don't have powder or big long runs. Plus I'm not old and decrepid but kicking in and one quick flip up is perfect for me. Maybe not for everyone but I was only considering me.

Once you set them up a few times, you will be a pro. I can have mine set up from scratch and be in at the same time most of my buddies are locked in. So I find this a non-issue as like most new things "the first is the worst". Once you've dialed them in a few times it's not a issue.
__________________
-I'm Slyder and I suffer from "Gummer Syndrome"
slyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
It's not about being too lazy, its just more practical. I can strap in on the chairlift or flexing down on one hand and pulling the hinge with the other,(Like a starting runner) using the same effort you would put in scratching your calf, instead of dropping my ass on the snow and have the next rider drop in front of me. I am sure there are stiffer bindings out there, but what's some (alleged) lateral play do? the rider-boot-board system is flexible anyway, unless you refer to an alpine board. If you pair the CTX with a stiff and narrow profile boot (Driver-X) you get the best combination I think. After a 30 day season I only had to re tighten few screws around. I am not going back to regular bindings.
Who the hell sits down to strap in? Can't people just bend at the fucking waist? Also that lateral dead spot is bullshit if you're trying to tweak anything it's a triangular point that deadens the binding and the way I ride I can't drive through it the way every other binding allows me to. Like I said love K2 stuff ridden their bindings almost exclusively for 5 years but I fucking hate the whole Cinch system it's a turd.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Hardy Har's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego(for now)
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
Regaurdless of the typical debates, one huge decision for me was time. Everyone says it's only marginally faster. Our local hill is small in height and very crowded. So any time I can save was important to me. We don't have powder or big long runs. Plus I'm not old and decrepid but kicking in and one quick flip up is perfect for me. Maybe not for everyone but I was only considering me.

Once you set them up a few times, you will be a pro. I can have mine set up from scratch and be in at the same time most of my buddies are locked in. So I find this a non-issue as like most new things "the first is the worst". Once you've dialed them in a few times it's not a issue.
i used to be biased on the traditional two strap system because that was all i ever knew. but i cant diss something i never got to try so with that being noted i am open to try these bindings. i am actually looking at the nxt-at's now and still havent gotten to see a horrible review. i am going to try the bindings tomorrow and lace up multiple boots to get the right feel hopefully for the right price. we shall see. but all inputs have been greatly appreciated and in the end i still see no actually flaw with what i will be accomplishing in my snow career
__________________
Hardy Har
Hardy Har is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy Har View Post
i used to be biased on the traditional two strap system because that was all i ever knew. but i cant diss something i never got to try so with that being noted i am open to try these bindings. i am actually looking at the nxt-at's now and still havent gotten to see a horrible review. i am going to try the bindings tomorrow and lace up multiple boots to get the right feel hopefully for the right price. we shall see. but all inputs have been greatly appreciated and in the end i still see no actually flaw with what i will be accomplishing in my snow career
Are you doing this in a store I assume. If so one thing I have found and has been mentioned many times, the dry boot going into the binding is sometimes hard. The moisture of snow on the boot and binding greatly decrease the friction, and the feeling "is" much different when you are on snow as opposed to a store or your house. Just in case you weren't aware of this.
When you adjust the "power strap" it may feel loose compared to conventional, but mine never feels loose or like I would pop out on the hill. The full pressure is awesome.

TIP: I found this from a shop guy at our local hill. My boy wanted a little more toe control he felt it was kinda loose. He said to move the position of the front of the power strap back one position on the base plate. It will then kind of curl down giving more or feel of more toe pressure. My boy liked that better, he had Flow "Fives" 09/10 model

I'm a dad new to snowboarding beginning of my 3rd season. I am getting better at riding, park, and jumping, hoping for 3's this year and I have never felt at a disadvantage because of the bindings. I did use traditional for a year and am happy I switched. If I do go back I got my kids a set of Flux, that is probably what I would switch to.
__________________
-I'm Slyder and I suffer from "Gummer Syndrome"

Last edited by slyder; 10-13-2011 at 09:50 PM.
slyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Hardy Har's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego(for now)
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
Are you doing this in a store I assume. If so one thing I have found and has been mentioned many times, the dry boot going into the binding is sometimes hard. The moisture of snow on the boot and binding greatly decrease the friction, and the feeling "is" much different when you are on snow as opposed to a store or your house. Just in case you weren't aware of this.
When you adjust the "power strap" it may feel loose compared to conventional, but mine never feels loose or like I would pop out on the hill. The full pressure is awesome.

TIP: I found this from a shop guy at our local hill. My boy wanted a little more toe control he felt it was kinda loose. He said to move the position of the front of the power strap back one position on the base plate. It will then kind of curl down giving more or feel of more toe pressure. My boy liked that better, he had Flow "Fives" 09/10 model
I didnt really assume that seeing as how the last time i went boarding was in the indoor snow hill in DUBAI! and their gear was the worst thing ever. but moving on..

I am going for the nxs-at bindings and i am aware that those are much better. but my goal with this in store try-out is to get the feel of how the bindings will essentially feel on the boot and foot when getting in. i guess like a fitting for first comfort and the idea if how it works.
__________________
Hardy Har
Hardy Har is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
t21
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mt.
Posts: 519
Default

i just purchased a 2011 flow 5 and this is my first flow binding. it was on sale and i jump on it.i used union last year but since my issues with my knees and back i'm trying out the flows.now,after reading some of the post the negative about the flow 5 binding in deep pow kindda sucks. but why is the flow 5 not as good in deep pow? i'm an intermediate rider and cliff jumpimg is out for me but deep pow(knee high)are the fun runs i look for. is it just because its harder to get your boot back in? but i thought thats why you can strap traditionally now with their new 4 mini ratchets that unstraps.i know that i should have bought a nxt-at but just cannot afford it.and i hope that the flow 5 would suit me well for the type of terrains i ride(no park)but i'm keeping my union force for now,hopefully i do not have to put it back on again but instead upgrade to the nxt-at someday.
__________________
2011 Ride Antic 163
2011 Status Focus 158
NX2-AT
FUSE-AT
t21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums