Targa or Cartel?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
TorpedoVegas's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Targa or Cartel??

I've read all the Targa/Cartel threads on this forum and I think I have a decent picture of the differences between the 2 bindings, but I have a couple things I need some feedback on. I just started getting back into boarding after a 8 year neglect period and picked up a set of K2 Cinch bindings which I hate. The whole "quick release" thing is only a quick and easy task maybe 80% of the time, the other 20% makes me want to shoot myself in the face. So this is what I need to know about the Targas/Cartels

- as far as pure comfort goes, which one is the king. I want a ankle strap that I can't feel, I don't want any pressure points at all...pure comfort

- ratchets? I want the best, smoothest ratchets out there

- canted footbeds.... never tried em, and I want em... but I want the best, most comfortable ones of course.

- I keep reading about the Targas having problems with the paint chipping off the highbacks, is this problem long gone? does it exist on the 2012 bindings?

- I keep reading about how customizable the Targas are, but are they too customizable? too many parts? do I need a engineering background to set these up?

These bindings are going on my 2012 T.Rice Pro 157, I doubt they will ever see a park (feel too old to hang out in the parks these days). I like going fast, I like riding in the trees, I love the powder when I can find it.

thanks... oh yeah, I need to buy these tomorrow or maybe the next day, so I need to make up my mind pretty quick.
TorpedoVegas is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Nivek's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 8,136
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
If you add the word Restricted to Cartel then those. Otherwise I would probably say Targa. The Restricted Cartel asym ankle strap is super money and by far my favorite ankle strap outside of Flow.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was deciding between Union Atlas and Targas after a Cartel's ratchet imploded on me in a store.

I am happy with the Targas and I've only had them a week or so. They ARE very customizable and the directions were a little overwhelming but the cant, ratchets, and straps rock.

And my Targas came blemish-free. I did chip a little paint of the underside of the heelcup while waxing my board - but that was my fault. My board slid off my homemade wax-table and hit the garage floor. The chip is small - and powder-coated metal chips upon impact. It just does. I'd still rather have metal though. If the chip annoys me (which it won't) I can paint it.
easton714 is offline  
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
TorpedoVegas's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just picked up the Restricted Cartels....I looked at the Targas in-store but did not like the look or feel of the ratchets, plus the demo model on the shelf already had some paint peeling off where the highback pivots, so that wasn't selling me. The Cartels look really good and I'm looking forward to breaking them in this weekend. Thanks Nivek for the advice on the restricted ankle straps, they sold me for sure.
TorpedoVegas is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome