All mountain bindings with reliable ratchets? or Step Ins? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colorado
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Best ratchets I've come across is by Union. Ratcheting better than Burton Cartel's, Flux, Technine's, and Drake's.

I'd go with the Union Atlas.

What year Unions were you riding, I have the 2010 Union Forces and my experiences with getting out with the ratchets are terrible, I have to pull pretty hard for the ratchets to let me loose. Same goes for the Contact Pros i've ridden. I guess everyone has different experiences and this is why I am trying to find a GOOD binding to go with my Proto CT this year, i'm looking at Burton Cartels, Ride Capos or Rome Targas. My riding style mainly is mostly freeriding and almost no park, but i'll go to park if my friends want to, not my first choice though.
donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
What year Unions were you riding, I have the 2010 Union Forces and my experiences with getting out with the ratchets are terrible, I have to pull pretty hard for the ratchets to let me loose. Same goes for the Contact Pros i've ridden. I guess everyone has different experiences and this is why I am trying to find a GOOD binding to go with my Proto CT this year, i'm looking at Burton Cartels, Ride Capos or Rome Targas. My riding style mainly is mostly freeriding and almost no park, but i'll go to park if my friends want to, not my first choice though.
I'm on 2009's but from what I can tell they haven't changed the ratchets since that model. Releasing the toe strap sometime's isn't as easy as other bindings, but I've never had any problems with them sticking. But ratcheting them down is much better than my cartel's, which skip on the toe strap as it gets tighter, and smoother than my flux, which only move about one click at a time.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,004
Blog Entries: 10
Default

I'll play along. I've only owned Cartels and my Union Flites, but I've ridden a few others as well. My Cartels were great, but the ladders had issues after a while. My Unions have been issue free. However, the straps on my cartels were a bit more comfortable. The toe strap on my Unions can pinch a little if I miss the placement for it, but it's not a deal breaker, and easily solved on hill. But really, it's all hit and miss with any brand. Everyone's experience will vary. To sum it all up, I haven't bothered with my Cartels since getting my Union's.
__________________
Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hakuba, Japan for the 2011/12 season
Posts: 218
Default

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I'll wait for the reviews on the Flow NX2, in the mean time if I see a good deal on Cartel Re:Flex, SF45s or Union Force SL or Atlas I might jump on it.
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jliu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I'm on 2009's but from what I can tell they haven't changed the ratchets since that model. Releasing the toe strap sometime's isn't as easy as other bindings, but I've never had any problems with them sticking. But ratcheting them down is much better than my cartel's, which skip on the toe strap as it gets tighter, and smoother than my flux, which only move about one click at a time.
Union ratchets do feel good when ratcheting down. The ankle strap release isnt bad either...but toe ratchet....worst ever. Why they don't make it a dual component release boggles me...especially for ppl who are dropping 300+ on MCs. The fact they have to deal w/ a single component toe ratchet is pretty weak. Put a smaller version of their ankle ratchet on the toe cap...and there you have it.

As to changes in the ratchet design...I think Johan in some of his older vids said they changed the internal workings w/ different springs to reduce "reeving" in his words
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu View Post
Union ratchets do feel good when ratcheting down. The ankle strap release isnt bad either...but toe ratchet....worst ever. Why they don't make it a dual component release boggles me...especially for ppl who are dropping 300+ on MCs. The fact they have to deal w/ a single component toe ratchet is pretty weak. Put a smaller version of their ankle ratchet on the toe cap...and there you have it.

As to changes in the ratchet design...I think Johan in some of his older vids said they changed the internal workings w/ different springs to reduce "reeving" in his words
Dual componenent toe ratchets skip and strip, Flux and Burton are both good examples. I've never had any problems with releasing the toe ratchets on my force.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums