Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Bindings (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/)
-   -   Binding advice..... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/49198-binding-advice.html)

61ragtop 08-12-2012 11:30 PM

Binding advice.....
 
So I have 2012 Cartels on my Arbor Coda and other than the ladder on the toe straps skipping when tightening sometimes I have no issues with them.

Now I have just ordered the 2013 Westmark 156 and am debating what to do......Just use my Cartels, or buy something else?

Are the Cartels a good match with the Wetmark 156? Of should I switch to a Union Contact/Contact Pro, or Force possibly? I say these cause these are the 2 brands that seem to be recommended often and are readily avail to me. I also could get a good deal on the Union PBR edition binding too, Love PBR but not too keen on the binding look.

LadyFlinstone 08-13-2012 04:22 PM

Try Flux's SF45 with the Westmark. The response with these will match the board. This is Scotty Vine's setup.

phony_stark 08-13-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFlinstone (Post 513488)
Try Flux's SF45 with the Westmark. The response with these will match the board. This is Scotty Vine's setup.

If you're strapped for cash, there's no reason for you to switch out. I've never ridden a westmark, but I ran Cartels on a joystick and a hero for a bit and didn't really have a problem.

If you wanna try something that feels different though, I think the contact pros are a really rad binding to have in the "quiver". They seem to be just as at home on a softer board as on a stiffer board. Cool lateral flex to stay locked in presses, but responsive straight back (don't let the shape of the highback fool you.).

Also I was working on grabs last year and had an easier time with them maybe because of the shape of the highback. I know it's more rider than the equipment, but it seemed to help.

Edit: The contact pros are also carbon injected, and have different durometers of EVA so they'll probably be a little more responsive than the PBR bindings, which I believe are contacts with a team highback. I'd lean that way if you were set on buying one of the two.

61ragtop 08-14-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phony_stark (Post 513498)
If you're strapped for cash, there's no reason for you to switch out. I've never ridden a westmark, but I ran Cartels on a joystick and a hero for a bit and didn't really have a problem.

If you wanna try something that feels different though, I think the contact pros are a really rad binding to have in the "quiver". They seem to be just as at home on a softer board as on a stiffer board. Cool lateral flex to stay locked in presses, but responsive straight back (don't let the shape of the highback fool you.).

Also I was working on grabs last year and had an easier time with them maybe because of the shape of the highback. I know it's more rider than the equipment, but it seemed to help.

Edit: The contact pros are also carbon injected, and have different durometers of EVA so they'll probably be a little more responsive than the PBR bindings, which I believe are contacts with a team highback. I'd lean that way if you were set on buying one of the two.

Thanks for the review and info!!

61ragtop 10-08-2012 10:50 PM

Ok so now I am considering the Union Contacts or Contact Pro as well as possibly something from Flux, maybe the SF45 or DS30?

For reference I usually ride mainly freestyle on groomers and some off piste and plan on stepping up my jumping and buttering, as well as start to play on rails.

Thoughts?

Nivek 10-09-2012 12:40 AM

If you've already got a Coda with Cartels I wouldn't put a stiff binding like the SF45 on the Westmark. Neither would I put as dumb soft binding like the Contacts on their either. If you go Union do Contact Pro's. But make damn sure the toe strap fits will on your boots and prepare to deal with a terrible to ratchet.

Personally I would put Raiden Zero's, Flow M9's, Flux TT30's or DMCC Lights, Salomon Districts, or K2 Formulas on it.

61ragtop 10-09-2012 09:03 AM

My main reason for thinking of the 45's was that Scotty Vine runs them and pretty much kills it with that set up.

What are your reasons for the DMCC lights and TT30's as a posed to the DS30's?

Just curious as I find it hard to differentiate between the Flux styles.

I considered the Contact because I thought it was suposed to be a good freestyle park binding. Is the Pro that much stiffer?

Thanks for all the info:thumbsup:

phony_stark 10-09-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61ragtop (Post 524672)
My main reason for thinking of the 45's was that Scotty Vine runs them and pretty much kills it with that set up.

What are your reasons for the DMCC lights and TT30's as a posed to the DS30's?

Just curious as I find it hard to differentiate between the Flux styles.

I considered the Contact because I thought it was suposed to be a good freestyle park binding. Is the Pro that much stiffer?

Thanks for all the info:thumbsup:

The contact baseplate is stiffer because it's carbon injected and the highback is quite a bit stiffer straight back than the regular contact, which is REALLY soft. The shape of the highback though, allows you to tweak more since your boot can slide off a little better.

Contact pros are an awesome binding for what you're looking for. They're at home on any board and any part of the mountain IF you like a little more lateral flex, if you dont...get something else.

Also, it's cool to see what the pr0s run on their setup for suggestions, but remember, bindings are all preference. Some pros like a stiffer clamp and some don't.

LadyFlinstone 10-09-2012 10:57 AM

Scotty likes the SF45 because the binding gives great response. Especially when he is doing his one footed trickery. The high back on this model, as well as the DS30 and DMCC light can be swapped with each other too switch up the ride. OUt of the box it comes with the higher end towards the inside of the bindings. Scotty does this, because it gives you the most response. When you switch the highbacks with each other you put the higher end of the highback towards the outside, giving you more material to push up against on the outsides of the bindings for tweaking out tricks.
Ian Sams and Erik Leon both do this with their bindings.
The DS30 and DMCC light both have the same highback made of super tough nylon. It is going to feel softer than the SF45 because of the shape of it.
Ian Sams rides the DS30 because he likes a softer baseplate for jibbing. The baseplate on the DS30 is made out of a 30% fiberglass mix.
Erik Leon rides the DMCC light because he likes a little more response from his baseplate when he's flyin fast through the park. The DMCC light's baseplate is made from a carbon infused fiberglass... making it lighter, and more responsive than the 30% blend of the DS30.
Scotty Vine rides the SF45 because he likes response in his highback and baseplate. The SF45 uses a 45% blend of fiberglass in the baseplate, making it the stiffest and most responsive in the Flux line up. However, the response in this binding is a lot of fun in the park too.
Hopefully this helps you out to learn the cryptic code that is Flux Bindings...

phony_stark 10-09-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFlinstone (Post 524728)
Scotty likes the SF45 because the binding gives great response. Especially when he is doing his one footed trickery. The high back on this model, as well as the DS30 and DMCC light can be swapped with each other too switch up the ride. OUt of the box it comes with the higher end towards the inside of the bindings. Scotty does this, because it gives you the most response. When you switch the highbacks with each other you put the higher end of the highback towards the outside, giving you more material to push up against on the outsides of the bindings for tweaking out tricks.
Ian Sams and Erik Leon both do this with their bindings.
The DS30 and DMCC light both have the same highback made of super tough nylon. It is going to feel softer than the SF45 because of the shape of it.
Ian Sams rides the DS30 because he likes a softer baseplate for jibbing. The baseplate on the DS30 is made out of a 30% fiberglass mix.
Erik Leon rides the DMCC light because he likes a little more response from his baseplate when he's flyin fast through the park. The DMCC light's baseplate is made from a carbon infused fiberglass... making it lighter, and more responsive than the 30% blend of the DS30.
Scotty Vine rides the SF45 because he likes response in his highback and baseplate. The SF45 uses a 45% blend of fiberglass in the baseplate, making it the stiffest and most responsive in the Flux line up. However, the response in this binding is a lot of fun in the park too.
Hopefully this helps you out to learn the cryptic code that is Flux Bindings...


That was, quite possibly, the MOST informative thing I have ever read about Flux bindings EVER.

Not my thread, but damn, THANK YOU!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2