Stick with my old bindings? (Ride EX vs. xxx?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sangsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 216
Default Stick with my old bindings? (Ride EX vs. xxx?)

I've been riding a pair of Ride EX bindings for the last two seasons and haven't really had any major complaints about them -- the ratchet straps can be a bit of a pain -- and the loosening screws, well, I took care of that with some loctite.

At the end of last season I made the mistake of demo-ing a Never Summer Proto CT. So yesterday I jumped in and ordered one for the coming season (entire chain is only getting one!?)

And now I am wondering if new bindings are necessary.

I ride groomers, sometimes duck into really well spaced out trees and am just beginning to try small jumps off of natural features.

I like the EXs -- I know that I don't like the old Ride SPIs. Beyond that, for me it is guess work and this forum.

The Raiden Phantoms (which I can find for $169) seem amazing. And a number of posters have said good things about the Flux DMCC Lights.

Thoughts?
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
henry06x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 366
Default

If you like ride and aluminum over plastic you should check out the new ride capo. I got a set last year and they are a super solid rather comfy binding. Good do it all binding and the new chassie has less material on the bottom for more of a natural flex for the board like union has and it's canted witch is awesome.
Don't really have experiance with many other brands I've always loved rides binding and the idea of aluminum over plastic.
__________________

Academy Propaganda rev - Rome 390 Boss
New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO
henry06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangsters View Post
I've been riding a pair of Ride EX bindings for the last two seasons and haven't really had any major complaints about them -- the ratchet straps can be a bit of a pain -- and the loosening screws, well, I took care of that with some loctite.

At the end of last season I made the mistake of demo-ing a Never Summer Proto CT. So yesterday I jumped in and ordered one for the coming season (entire chain is only getting one!?)

And now I am wondering if new bindings are necessary.

I ride groomers, sometimes duck into really well spaced out trees and am just beginning to try small jumps off of natural features.

I like the EXs -- I know that I don't like the old Ride SPIs. Beyond that, for me it is guess work and this forum.

The Raiden Phantoms (which I can find for $169) seem amazing. And a number of posters have said good things about the Flux DMCC Lights.

Thoughts?
Those are both superb options if you want something new. The Flux's are stupid light and the Raidens Airbag dampening is unparalleled.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sangsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 216
Default

I love the footbed/canting of the Rides.

I've read as much as I can about the Raidens (kinda digging the 'juiced' colour) -- do the Raidens have a similar canting option?

For that matter, does anyone have a similar set up?
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,275
Default

No canting in the Phanomts, the Blackhawks and Machines have it. The Machines are probably too stiff, the Blackhawks while still a great binding do not have aribags.

No canting from Flux at all for 2013.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sangsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 216
Default

I realize that at some level I am looking at new bindings from more of an aesthetic angle than a need angle (I'm quite happy with the EXs).

In looking around I've also noticed (some thread mentioned them) the Burton Cartels (in Flamingo to look awesome on the Proto).

Has anyone had any negative experiences with the Burton Re:Flex discs?
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
henry06x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 366
Default

Cartels are the most sold binding out and the most used binding by pro's. Burton must be doing something right with them.
Ive never personally rode them but don't think really ever read many if any complaints about them.
__________________

Academy Propaganda rev - Rome 390 Boss
New for 14-15
Yes the Basic - Now IPO
henry06x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangsters View Post
I realize that at some level I am looking at new bindings from more of an aesthetic angle than a need angle (I'm quite happy with the EXs).

In looking around I've also noticed (some thread mentioned them) the Burton Cartels (in Flamingo to look awesome on the Proto).

Has anyone had any negative experiences with the Burton Re:Flex discs?
You'll feel reflex on softer bindings. I could feel it in my Missions. Couldn't in Prophecy's. So you mightn't even notice it in Cartels. What you do get though is foam under your heel all the way to the board. Nice dampening there.

Personally I'd go Malavitas over Cartels for almost anything, they're just a smidge more plyable side to side.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 29
Default

Heh, you sound like you could be my twin, except I bent the hell out of my EX's (and my ribs) on a nasty face plant last year. I jut bent them back and kept riding for the rest of the season, but one is definitely warped, so I am looking to replace. My initial reason for EX was that they fit my size 15 waffle stompers. I am looking at the Capos or the Maestros since I like my current rides. I just want a little lighter binding, and the other options (flux, union) don't seem to fit my size boot. Also the Canted footbed is better for my old ass knees !
djdavetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavetrouble View Post
Heh, you sound like you could be my twin, except I bent the hell out of my EX's (and my ribs) on a nasty face plant last year. I jut bent them back and kept riding for the rest of the season, but one is definitely warped, so I am looking to replace. My initial reason for EX was that they fit my size 15 waffle stompers. I am looking at the Capos or the Maestros since I like my current rides. I just want a little lighter binding, and the other options (flux, union) don't seem to fit my size boot. Also the Canted footbed is better for my old ass knees !
Wouldnt worry about weight so much, this is really not gonna inhibit your riding - a few ounces here or there. (Unless you are a hardcore bootpacker). Focus on comfort and build that you want, dampening, canting, plastic or metal, etc...
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums