Which bindings work well with a Never Summer SL? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 208
Default Which bindings work well with a Never Summer SL?

I'm thinking about picking up the Never Summer SL and know nothing about bindings except that they look A LOT more expensive than I had imagined.

Im a beginner who's just learned toe-side turns and only been on the mountain about 5 days. I plan to ride mainly freeride, and work my way up to some jumps. I don't plan to do rails or boxes anytime soon.

Which bindings should I look at? I'm not even sure what TYPE of bindings I would want, so any info about bindings in general would help.
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 41
Talking

Id suggest getting a cheap pair if you can until you can develop more and know what style of riding you like so you can choose if you'd like more/less flex. Overall you should be looking to two types of bindings the normal type the you strap in and the flows which have the high backs that can collapse so you slide your foot in. Honestly aslong as you get a well built pair you can use them until your bombing steeps or starting to spin bigger than 3's in the park. Might also be a good idea to buy last seasons but that's just my 2c
Timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,742
Default

yea get used ones cheap - try to find something of a major model/brand so you can compare and go from there.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,307
Default

Last years K2 Formulas. That's probably the best binding/$$ out there.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Kapn.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rocket Ranch, FL
Posts: 239
Default

</title><link href="http://gt-main.s3.amazonaws.com/css/jqui-min.css" media="screen" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> <link href="http://gt-main.s3.amazonaws.com/css/site.css?v=8" media="screen" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /><meta http-equiv=
__________________
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 208
Default

I'm trying to predict what bindings (soft/stiff) I'll want down the road so that I can just buy them now. I heard that softer bindings are more forgiving, and stiffer bindings are more responsive.

Also what are high-back bindings?

As a newer rider who's still learning I'm not sure which one of these I'd prefer. Does my decision depend on what kind of BOOTS i get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Last years K2 Formulas. That's probably the best binding/$$ out there.
Are these the 2011/2012's?

Last edited by onthefence; 09-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,813
Default

Not sure what high-back bindings are. High backs are the actual plate that comes off the back of the binding and supports the back of your calf. The piece that can fold down. That's the high back. There are only about two or so bindings out there now without them so I'd assume high-back bindings are just all bindings.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hipp4u View Post
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
I'm trying to predict what bindings (soft/stiff) I'll want down the road so that I can just buy them now. I heard that softer bindings are more forgiving, and stiffer bindings are more responsive.
Don't worry about it - the most important factors for bindings fit with your boot and comfort (these are normally related). Aspects like flex/responsiveness, weight, dampening, canting, etc. are all way secondary and not worth thinking about this stage.

Until you have got more than 50-100 days on the mountain, the old mantra about gear selection applies:
  1. Buy boots that fit. This is the single most important factor in improving your boarding and enjoying riding. Do not worry about brand (as long as it is one of the major brands it will be fine), stiffness, tech, reviews, etc. - just get something that fits.
  2. Get (buy/borrow/rent) a board that is approximately correct for your weight+ height (and maybe foot size) and intended riding style (if you know) - for most people a soft-medium flex all-mountain will do the trick. Do not worry about brand, stiffness, tech, reviews, etc.
  3. Get bindings that fit your boots and are comfortable. Did I mention: Do not worry about brand, stiffness, tech, reviews, etc.
  4. Then ride as much as you can/enjoy. Maybe take lessons. Any day of riding (heck every single run) will make more of a difference to your riding and progression than any gear choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
Also what are high-back bindings?
See ThunderChucky's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
As a newer rider who's still learning I'm not sure which one of these I'd prefer. Does my decision depend on what kind of BOOTS i get?
Only to the extent that the bindings should fit your boots and not cause any pressure points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
Are these the 2011/2012's?
Does not matter.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Do not worry about brand (as long as it is one of the major brands it will be fine)
Since only fit matters, I feel like I should be able to get away with something far less expensive than a major brand. Or is a major brand a MUST because of the quality? I'm asking this in reference to both boots and bindings.
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 6,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Don't worry about it - the most important factors for bindings fit with your boot and comfort (these are normally related). Aspects like flex/responsiveness, weight, dampening, canting, etc. are all way secondary and not worth thinking about this stage.

Until you have got more than 50-100 days on the mountain, the old mantra about gear selection applies:
  1. Buy boots that fit. This is the single most important factor in improving your boarding and enjoying riding. Do not worry about brand (as long as it is one of the major brands it will be fine), stiffness, tech, reviews, etc. - just get something that fits.
  2. Get (buy/borrow/rent) a board that is approximately correct for your weight+ height (and maybe foot size) and intended riding style (if you know) - for most people a soft-medium flex all-mountain will do the trick. Do not worry about brand, stiffness, tech, reviews, etc.
  3. Get bindings that fit your boots and are comfortable. Did I mention: Do not worry about brand, stiffness, tech, reviews, etc.
  4. Then ride as much as you can/enjoy. Maybe take lessons. Any day of riding (heck every single run) will make more of a difference to your riding and progression than any gear choice.


See ThunderChucky's post.


Only to the extent that the bindings should fit your boots and not cause any pressure points.


Does not matter.
I can't fully subscribe to this theory. I think most beginners are best suited with boards and bindings a bit on the softer side. They're just more forgiving generally. The last thing you want to do is a put a beginner on a poorly matched board/binding combo. IMO, the worst is a soft park board with a stiff freeride binding. Holy shit, that's an awful combo. I couldn't imagine the struggles a beginner would have with a setup like that. You wiggle your toes and that board is dancing around.
__________________
"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums