How to read forward lean angles on some bindings? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
And people are debating the benefit of highback rotation/lack thereof with almost religious zeal...
I'm not sure its that big of a deal either. I like playing with my bindings like adult legos tho.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
This is what he means by rotating the highbacks:



When they are up, the highbacks themselves should run parallel with the board edge. Almost all highbacks can be rotated to some degree.
Thank you snowklinger for kindly pointing out what I misunderstood about rotating the highbacks. Lovely ...... I am going to learn some new stuff today with the help of some nice diagrams too.

Now I have a problem. I cannot spot any difference in the two boards as well as the orientation of the bindings in the diagram, even though the red construction lines are angled differently. My bad eyes cannot tell what the diagram is trying to depict. The 2 boards look pretty much the same to me. snowklinger could you kindly give me a little more description? Cheers snowklinger.

Last edited by ig88; 09-15-2012 at 03:40 AM.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,770
Default

Its kind of a crappy diagram but I could find it quickest. If you look at where your highback attaches to the heel loop - 2points of contact. You should be able to rotate the highback within the heel loop. There are usually 3-4 positions or holes u can move those 2 points of contact. Now you can see that in the different positions, the highback will rotate around the heel cup. If you ride an average "duck" stance of say 15degrees on both the front and back foot, and just slap your bindings on in the default highback attachment, they will probably look like the top diagram. Looking down at your board on the floor, the highbacks when up, will not run with the edge of the board but crooked. Now try rotating them so that they run parallel to the edge of the board.

Make sense?
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post

Make sense?
Not yet. I am reading your description closely to fully digest it. Give me a little time. I will hold my bindings in my own hands and work out what you mean by heel loop and heel cup. I am learning but this one seems not as easy to understand as forward lean apparently. The minute I read someone explaining what forward lean is, I guess I got the gist of it. I would love to appreciate what rotating highbacks are all about ...... but I am ...... just not there yet.

Is this heel cup thing present in all bindings? You sure I could also find it in mine?

I will get back to this topic/ thread later after some reflections

Cheers snowklinger.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
509-pow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington state.
Posts: 345
Default

if this dosnt make sense idk what will. haha. the house videos on youtube have been a great help to me. hope it helps u too.
rotation
Snowboard Binding Setup: Part 9- Highback Rotation - YouTube


and lean.
Snowoard Binding Setup Par 10- Forward Lean - YouTube
509-pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Thanks snowklinger and 509-pow for the efforts. I think I got it now. I think the first youtube link in 509-pow's post well explained it. I just realize that that's one setting I could (I never knew) change, and it appears it could be changed either way too, that is, either more parallel, or more unparallel.

May I assume that if I say "rotated the high backs", that would mean rotated the high backs to more parallel?

What would happen if the high backs are parallel, and how does that tie in with forward lean?

Cheers.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
509-pow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington state.
Posts: 345
Default

yes the high back should be paralle, but i do not keep mine paralle. i just got used to it how it is. i believe that it helps with heel side turning but i have no idea.
how this ties in with forward lean idk. my bindings are burton cartels and they come with zero lean. just the way i like it.
maybe this will help with that.
What is Forward Lean on Snowboard Bindings? - The House Boardshop
509-pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Thank you snowklinger for kindly pointing out what I misunderstood about rotating the highbacks. Lovely ...... I am going to learn some new stuff today with the help of some nice diagrams too.

Now I have a problem. I cannot spot any difference in the two boards as well as the orientation of the bindings in the diagram, even though the red construction lines are angled differently. My bad eyes cannot tell what the diagram is trying to depict. The 2 boards look pretty much the same to me. snowklinger could you kindly give me a little more description? Cheers snowklinger.
The diagram should have pics that are more exaggerated, so that you can see the difference.

Some people don't really need to rotate them, it depends on how much of an angle the bindings are set @. I usually only do my front foot because it's @ a sharper angle than my back foot. They rotate in both directions because some people still ride with their bindings like this. ( / / ) mine are close to this ( l / ) that's why I only need to do my front foot. If you ride with a severe duck stance like so ( \ / ) then it would be wise to adjust both of them.

I purposely asked if you had rotated them, & gave very little info about what I was talking about just to see if you could figure it out on your own.
I think it helps you understand your bindings better if you fiddle with them yourself & learn how they work.

I just didn't think all these Donney Do-gooders were gonna jump in & explain it for me. Thanks Donney Do-gooders

I have a few pairs of Burton bindings, 3 are the old style forward lean adjusters & 1 pair is the new type like yours.
The old style of Burton forward lean adjustment seems to brake very easily, I have 3 pair, so 6 bindings. All 6 adjusters are broken.

I am able to adjust the forward lean, but I have to use the rotating adjustment to do it. It works on the new style(yours) as well.

When you have the rotating adjustment loosened so that it moves freely & you have it where you think you want it. If you slide both of them a couple notches forward(not rotationally) towards the toe side of your board it will decrease your forward lean & sliding them back a couple notches will increase it.

I'm not sure it was designed to be able to do that or not, but it does work.

TT
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ig88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
The diagram should have pics that are more exaggerated, so that you can see the difference.

Some people don't really need to rotate them, it depends on how much of an angle the bindings are set @. I usually only do my front foot because it's @ a sharper angle than my back foot. They rotate in both directions because some people still ride with their bindings like this. ( / / ) mine are close to this ( l / ) that's why I only need to do my front foot. If you ride with a severe duck stance like so ( \ / ) then it would be wise to adjust both of them.

I purposely asked if you had rotated them, & gave very little info about what I was talking about just to see if you could figure it out on your own.
I think it helps you understand your bindings better if you fiddle with them yourself & learn how they work.

I just didn't think all these Donney Do-gooders were gonna jump in & explain it for me. Thanks Donney Do-gooders

I have a few pairs of Burton bindings, 3 are the old style forward lean adjusters & 1 pair is the new type like yours.
The old style of Burton forward lean adjustment seems to brake very easily, I have 3 pair, so 6 bindings. All 6 adjusters are broken.

I am able to adjust the forward lean, but I have to use the rotating adjustment to do it. It works on the new style(yours) as well.

When you have the rotating adjustment loosened so that it moves freely & you have it where you think you want it. If you slide both of them a couple notches forward(not rotationally) towards the toe side of your board it will decrease your forward lean & sliding them back a couple notches will increase it.

I'm not sure it was designed to be able to do that or not, but it does work.

TT
Oh timmytard you've kindly made your next post just a tad earlier than me. Guess what, during the last few hours, I think I have watched enough youtube to understand what rotating highbacks is all about. There are some good videos out there but actually one good video was adequate to explain this interesting entity. I think I can confidently let you know now that I fully understand what it is, even though I have not yet had the opportunity to vary it and feel it on the slopes.

Guess what, I never had a clue those screws were meant for adjustment of highback rotations. Now it's like I were revisiting my bindings as though they were some new toys haha.

But many thanks for the elaboration and your kind intention. Actually I was trying to post back before your possible next post, just to ask you again ...... now I have figured out what highback rotations are all about in the classroom, how does it, if at all, relate to forward lean.

Actually I have got some idea already from the youtube videos on highback rotations. One short video says that rotating the highbacks will improve your heelside response. If you would agree with that, then I suppose rotating the highbacks will complement increasing the forward lean. And because of this alleged relationship, one could potentially ease up on cranking up way too much forward lean for the purpose of increasing heelside edge hold/ response. The problem with too much forward lean as I have read will hurt our calves.

Oh yes. And my belated answer to your earlier question if I had rotated my highbacks ...... obviously, haha, no I have not. But I sure will have one more parameter to look into next time I hit the slopes.

When I read you description of bindings with the alleged stance ( / / ), it really got me wondering who would use that. I bet the high speed alpine boarders. Cheers timmytard.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Oh timmytard you've kindly made your next post just a tad earlier than me. Guess what, during the last few hours, I think I have watched enough youtube to understand what rotating highbacks is all about. There are some good videos out there but actually one good video was adequate to explain this interesting entity. I think I can confidently let you know now that I fully understand what it is, even though I have not yet had the opportunity to vary it and feel it on the slopes.

Guess what, I never had a clue those screws were meant for adjustment of highback rotations. Now it's like I were revisiting my bindings as though they were some new toys haha.

But many thanks for the elaboration and your kind intention. Actually I was trying to post back before your possible next post, just to ask you again ...... now I have figured out what highback rotations are all about in the classroom, how does it, if at all, relate to forward lean.

Actually I have got some idea already from the youtube videos on highback rotations. One short video says that rotating the highbacks will improve your heelside response. If you would agree with that, then I suppose rotating the highbacks will complement increasing the forward lean. And because of this alleged relationship, one could potentially ease up on cranking up way too much forward lean for the purpose of increasing heelside edge hold/ response. The problem with too much forward lean as I have read will hurt our calves.

Oh yes. And my belated answer to your earlier question if I had rotated my highbacks ...... obviously, haha, no I have not. But I sure will have one more parameter to look into next time I hit the slopes.

When I read you description of bindings with the alleged stance ( / / ), it really got me wondering who would use that. I bet the high speed alpine boarders. Cheers timmytard.
My pleasure, my good man.
Ya, I knew you wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about, thanks for not taking offense to my little test.
I couldn't be happier than to explain that too someone who clearly wants to know.

The Rotating of the binding doesn't have anything to do with the forward lean aspect of it really.
Now a days the size of the highback is so monstrous. They used to be miniscule, about the height of a hiking boot. If you couldn't rotate it, it starts to get in the way & prevents your leg from moving laterally.

Not all people need that much lateral movement though, very few really.
There is just such a large variety of styles.

Some park rats really tweak out their boards & half pipe guys like crazy forward lean.

It's just easier to make an adjustable binding, rather than a separate different one.

Here is a picture that might explain why things are the way they are.

Damien Sanders: Hard boot tweaker.

TT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hard boot tweaker.jpg (16.2 KB, 50 views)
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums