Anyone Using Burtons Re:Flex Bindings - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 390
Default Anyone Using Burtons Re:Flex Bindings

Out of curiosity, who here is using a Burton Re:Flex binding and noticed the heel lift that I saw after reading another forum member's comment in another thread. After mounting them, I tugged on the heel and noticed it raise about a 1/2". I strapped into the board and didn't notice anything that could affect riding, but thats comparing apples to oranges since I was at home, on carpet and not really moving. I'm curious if anyone has had issues riding with the heel lift or if it was something that Burton may have anticipated in their engineering of the Re:Flex technology.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,958
Default

Reflex will (in theory) allow flex from front to back, its the 2 bolt fixing system that is the channel that allows heel lift. I notice it a lot when riding my burton channel board. I notice no flex from the reflex disc.
The tech they talk about doesnt flex, and the tech they dont talk about flexes a lot.
I believe its just a messed up transition period for burton these last few years, they are torn between justifying their world domination strategy and actually making stuff that works well.
This period of burton technology will probably be looked back at with a chuckle in 10 years time, but they do try new shit you cant deny that.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
Out of curiosity, who here is using a Burton Re:Flex binding and noticed the heel lift that I saw after reading another forum member's comment in another thread. After mounting them, I tugged on the heel and noticed it raise about a 1/2". I strapped into the board and didn't notice anything that could affect riding, but thats comparing apples to oranges since I was at home, on carpet and not really moving. I'm curious if anyone has had issues riding with the heel lift or if it was something that Burton may have anticipated in their engineering of the Re:Flex technology.
I've had the exact same problem and it actually bothered me a lot. This and the fact that I couldn't really center the bindings on my board me me sell my Malavitas. I have the feeling that the Reflex disc is just a bit too small to hold the bindings where they're supposed to be. I've been riding Forum Shakas since. They have similar tech but the disc is bigger and there's no lift.

I've only had this problem with reflex though. I rode the channel Malavitas on a NUG and the bindings felt a lot better and there was no lift either.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sangsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 216
Default

I thought (no direct experience) that the reflex tech was to allow the binding to flex nose-to-tail, not toe-to-heel.

Either way, can you drop a regular 4x4 disc into that binding or does it only mount with the reflex disc? Do you feel the reflex disc is too small or is it more that the disc itself isn't robust enough to hold the binding in place?

Last edited by sangsters; 10-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,958
Default

You are right and you can only use a reflex disc as they are smaller.
The issue is using the reflex disc with the channel, theres only 2 central bolts holding the binding to the board and there is quite a bit of heel/toe lift. There is no flex to speak of side to side.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sangsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 216
Default

Is this something you noticed only with the Malavitas?

Or is this something endemic to the whole re:flex setup?

I would be using these on a non-channel board.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
I've had the exact same problem and it actually bothered me a lot. This and the fact that I couldn't really center the bindings on my board me me sell my Malavitas. I have the feeling that the Reflex disc is just a bit too small to hold the bindings where they're supposed to be. I've been riding Forum Shakas since. They have similar tech but the disc is bigger and there's no lift.

I've only had this problem with reflex though. I rode the channel Malavitas on a NUG and the bindings felt a lot better and there was no lift either.
Your mention was what I was refering to in my original post. I don't think it will create an issue so I will have to see. I can center the bindings/boot with no problem. Im using the most forward hole, not the center so I may see how centered they'd be by moving it forward one spot to see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
You are right and you can only use a reflex disc as they are smaller.
The issue is using the reflex disc with the channel, theres only 2 central bolts holding the binding to the board and there is quite a bit of heel/toe lift. There is no flex to speak of side to side.
I'm using them on my Proto so it is the 4 bolt disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangsters View Post
Is this something you noticed only with the Malavitas?

Or is this something endemic to the whole re:flex setup?

I would be using these on a non-channel board.

They are mounted on my Proto so its not a channel board. Using the 4 bolt disc. I would assume that all Re:Flex discs are this way.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 390
Default

Called Burton too. Bottom line, it seems to just be part of the tech and when I'm strapped in its not as much lift as if I am actually pulling on the binding. They felt solid when I am in the board to ride and I think I'm just not used to this (like most others) and have a feeling they will be a badass ride...
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,958
Default

Wow if you think its bad on a 4x4 hole pattern board you should see it with the channel.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Wow if you think its bad on a 4x4 hole pattern board you should see it with the channel.
I can only imagine. I was looking at it again and pulled the footbed up and flexed the heel. It def doesn't flex at the disc, just behind so the bindings base is where its coming from so if Burtons goal is to have a base with more flex, they succeeded...
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums