Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Bindings (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/)
-   -   REAR ENTRY BINDINGS - women's (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/50004-rear-entry-bindings-womens.html)

skarenboo 10-05-2012 09:00 AM

REAR ENTRY BINDINGS - women's
 
I've been snowboarding for about 4 years now, but it wasn't until this past winter I got to ride for more than 8 hours at a big resort. Going from Chicago area little hills to Whistler Blackcomb was the most awesome experience!

I normally board with snowboarders but while I was in Whistler I realized my whole family was waiting for me to buckle in before heading down the slopes (all skiers). Finding a good spot to buckle yourself in with the crowd was also very hard. I know if you're good you'll be able to strap yourself in within seconds. I don't think I will be there for at least a couple of years... I thought maybe the rear entry binding could help! I'd call myself an Advanced beginner? I don't do anything crazy, the only thing I would do outside carving is small jumps.

So I found some good prices on Flow rear entry bindings and wanted to know if you have any suggestions...

Some of my friends think that rear entry bindings don't give you the same control as standard bindings. And I've read some people complaining about it being loose from time to time. Would you recommend getting a rear entry bindings?

These are the ones I'm thinking...
Flow Muse Snowboard Bindings - Women's 2012
Flow Flite 2W Snowboard Bindings - Women's 2012
Flow Essence Snowboard Bindings - Women's 2011

also just found this one below
Roxy ROCK-it DASH Snowboard Bindings - Women's 2012

Thank you! I can't wait for the season to start and hopefully go back to Whistler again.

sabatoa 10-05-2012 09:33 AM

I don't know about those bindings but I know my wife wants to get the 2012 K2 Tryst soon.

They're rear entry, harshmellow for comfort and canted footbeds.


Donutz 10-05-2012 09:40 AM

My first time at Whistler, the biggest problem I had was handling runs that take 25+ minutes to get down instead of 4-5. Thighs were killing me! :)

I've had Flows for a couple of years. I also have 390's on my other board. Hopefully what I'm going to say is equally applicable for women's bindings. You'll have to decide that.

Flow's are a lot more trouble to initially set up, because you have to get the proper level of tension in the 'I' strap. Once you have it dialled though, it probably only needs a small adjustment every couple of days. The amount of time that takes though is way more than made up for by the time you save at the top of the run. I personally can kick my back foot in, reach down, and snap the binding shut without ever coming to a stop. But even if you do stop, you don't have to sit and it takes maybe 3 seconds. Skiers spend more time transferring their poles to the proper hands and putting the wrist straps on.

As far as "less control", opinions are divided. Which should tell you that the difference (if any) is subtle. If you compete professionally or semi-pro, I suppose it might make a difference. The big difference though is that at the end of the day your feet aren't aching, because the bindings don't have to be as tight (because of the large contact surface).

One place though where Flows really are a PITA is strapping in on a significant slope. You can't sit down and strap in, you have to turn to face uphill and kick in in an awkward semi-crouch. That's why I have the 390s on the other board -- for park.

OTOH the new NX2s probably take care of this problem because you can strap in the traditional way if you want. Haven't seen them personally yet.


Good luck!

skarenboo 10-05-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabatoa (Post 523425)
I don't know about those bindings but I know my wife wants to get the 2012 K2 Tryst soon.

They're rear entry, harshmellow for comfort and canted footbeds.


Thanks... yea I was looking at some of the K2 ones too... but i've heard that flow has been doing it for so long they're a little bit more advanced on it.
:) After your wife rides w/ her new K2 please have her share her thoughts :laugh:

skarenboo 10-05-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutz (Post 523429)
My first time at Whistler, the biggest problem I had was handling runs that take 25+ minutes to get down instead of 4-5. Thighs were killing me! :)

I've had Flows for a couple of years. I also have 390's on my other board. Hopefully what I'm going to say is equally applicable for women's bindings. You'll have to decide that.

Flow's are a lot more trouble to initially set up, because you have to get the proper level of tension in the 'I' strap. Once you have it dialled though, it probably only needs a small adjustment every couple of days. The amount of time that takes though is way more than made up for by the time you save at the top of the run. I personally can kick my back foot in, reach down, and snap the binding shut without ever coming to a stop. But even if you do stop, you don't have to sit and it takes maybe 3 seconds. Skiers spend more time transferring their poles to the proper hands and putting the wrist straps on.

As far as "less control", opinions are divided. Which should tell you that the difference (if any) is subtle. If you compete professionally or semi-pro, I suppose it might make a difference. The big difference though is that at the end of the day your feet aren't aching, because the bindings don't have to be as tight (because of the large contact surface).

One place though where Flows really are a PITA is strapping in on a significant slope. You can't sit down and strap in, you have to turn to face uphill and kick in in an awkward semi-crouch. That's why I have the 390s on the other board -- for park.

OTOH the new NX2s probably take care of this problem because you can strap in the traditional way if you want. Haven't seen them personally yet.


Good luck!

Lol the first 2-3 25min runs aren't bad at all it's those ones AFTER lunch time killed me! I was told by my boarding instructor that I was the strongest to start the day but by the end of the day I couldn't even catch up with the rest of my class. I felt ashamed, def was not in shape! Had a cool Norwegian guy as my instructor.

I have heard about the initial set up being a long process... but it's all worth it once you got it to the sweet spot right?

So with the rear entry binding your feet wont hurt like normal ones do? that's awesome! Yea i don't plan on doing anything crazy and i'm def not a pro or semi-pro so that shouldn't be a huge issue. and as far as for significant slopes, not likely to run into those since I can only do blue ones at Whistler (however, my cousins accidentally led me to a double black diamond, we FOLLOWED the snow instead of the crowd).

Thank you for your tips!

I'm thinking to get last year's model since they're cheaper.

KIRKRIDER 10-05-2012 10:13 AM

Love my K2 cinch CTX...after 2 seasons in them, not a problem, beside re-tightening the screws every 3-4 riding days. I never tried FLOW's but got an awesome deal on the K2's


Quote:

Originally Posted by skarenboo (Post 523432)
Thanks... yea I was looking at some of the K2 ones too... but i've heard that flow has been doing it for so long they're a little bit more advanced on it.
:) After your wife rides w/ her new K2 please have her share her thoughts :laugh:


hikeswithdogs 10-05-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER (Post 523445)
Love my K2 cinch CTX...after 2 seasons in them, not a problem, beside re-tightening the screws every 3-4 riding days. I never tried FLOW's but got an awesome deal on the K2's

Yep mine have been great and their a couple years old now and I really like the way they make me feel "locked in". I still like conventional bindings for out west since you only have to strap in every 20 minutes or so instead of every 5 like in the midwest.

Justin 10-05-2012 10:47 AM

I have ridden flows and my wife still rides them. They are super comfortable and i will probably pick up another pair in the future. The only thing i would say is the new hing system looks really good and would solve any response issues, assuminig there are response issues. This will allow easy entry while letting the binding get a bit tighter.

Argo 10-05-2012 10:54 AM

I have ridden flow for 6 years and have had no issues. I strap in while still moving and unstrapped while still moving. I am going to upgrade to nx2 this year though. In deep powder it can be a bitch with the older ones.....

The new ones have better ratchets than last year..... Last years had better ratchets that other years before that. The nx2 are awesome this year though..... I'm pretty sure they are also canted bindings.....

KIRKRIDER 10-05-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs (Post 523452)
Yep mine have been great and their a couple years old now and I really like the way they make me feel "locked in". I still like conventional bindings for out west since you only have to strap in every 20 minutes or so instead of every 5 like in the midwest.


Same here...get off chair, slide, point one hand on the steep slope near the lift..lock...go. I'm usually alone and on powder days those few seconds saved mean you're ahead of the pack....at every chair. Damn I can't wait.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2