Is it real worth getting in season? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default Is it real worth getting in season?

So after reading many reviews, I settled on getting 2013 cartels for my riding which is mostly 60% groomers/40 park. But recently I found a sickkk deal on brand new 2012 malavitas for 125. Just yesterday I found a nice deal on a 2012 trs for 300 brand new. Any suggestions on what may be the best? Who doesnt like saving a few bucks?
eli783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,360
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
So after reading many reviews, I settled on getting 2013 cartels for my riding which is mostly 60% groomers/40 park. But recently I found a sickkk deal on brand new 2012 malavitas for 125. Just yesterday I found a nice deal on a 2012 trs for 300 brand new. Any suggestions on what may be the best? Who doesnt like saving a few bucks?
Grab the 'vitas, it's a better binding.

One of the great scams of the skiing and boarding industry is the bs that they try to feed us every year about improvements vs last year. If this year's board is 10% better and last years board is 50% cheaper it's a no brainier.
Lamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

lol exactly what Ive been thinking man. It seems like the improvements from year to year for the most part are extremely minimal. If the vitas are really the better than this years cartels I guess Ill give them a go
eli783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,388
Default

Unless there are obvious features you want that only come with the newest year then get the older stuff. My boots were 2 seasons out when I bough them and my bindings were 1 season out. I lost almost nothing by not going to the newest. My board was bought in season but that was the only way to get that feature set. I will be buying the new Flow NX2 bindings for the same reason.
__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Grab the 'vitas, it's a better binding.

One of the great scams of the skiing and boarding industry is the bs that they try to feed us every year about improvements vs last year. If this year's board is 10% better and last years board is 50% cheaper it's a no brainier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli783 View Post
lol exactly what Ive been thinking man. It seems like the improvements from year to year for the most part are extremely minimal. If the vitas are really the better than this years cartels I guess Ill give them a go
While what you are saying is generally true, every product should be considered individually. From year to year there are significant changes that would make a HUGE difference to some people. Some examples:

-between 11 and 12 they changed the NS Evo to be blunted and have drawn out rails.

-around the same time, Bataleon did something similar with their decks.

-significant tech is introduced into bindings like "the Hinge"

I have a Bataleon ET that is in the old shape and I paid full price for trying to help out a local shop, when I could have easily bought the upgraded, blunted version for cheaper
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,387
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
One of the great scams of the skiing and boarding industry is the bs that they try to feed us every year about improvements vs last year.
One of the biggest scams about pretty much EVERY industry
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Unless there are obvious features you want that only come with the newest year then get the older stuff. My boots were 2 seasons out when I bough them and my bindings were 1 season out. I lost almost nothing by not going to the newest. My board was bought in season but that was the only way to get that feature set. I will be buying the new Flow NX2 bindings for the same reason.
This is true with one exception.

Stock. I was thinking about doing this also with last year's Burton Prophecy; because Burton always over produces. But I can't find last years model. BTW,if someone finds it; I'm looking for the Red binding.

The binding it was replaced with is the Genesis, but I'm leery of the highback and want to wait on it. Maybe the Genesis will go to the discount rack.
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,387
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
This is true with one exception.

Stock. I was thinking about doing this also with last year's Burton Prophecy; because Burton always over produces. But I can't find last years model. BTW,if someone finds it; I'm looking for the Red binding.

The binding it was replaced with is the Genesis, but I'm leery of the highback and want to wait on it. Maybe the Genesis will go to the discount rack.
Truth. If you're waiting for something to go on sale, especially if you are "average" sized, you run a very real risk of not being able to buy it when everyone is out of stock later. IMO I'd rather spend the extra $30-40 now and get to enjoy the gear for a few extra weeks/months, than run the risk of not getting it at all just to save a few bucks.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,664
Default

Yea like almost every NS deck unless its hidden at a local shop, super long, or a wide.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BK NYC
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Truth. If you're waiting for something to go on sale, especially if you are "average" sized, you run a very real risk of not being able to buy it when everyone is out of stock later. IMO I'd rather spend the extra $30-40 now and get to enjoy the gear for a few extra weeks/months, than run the risk of not getting it at all just to save a few bucks.
Ive had the same feelings about being screwed when everything is sold out. Maybe the extra 50-70 bucks isnt so bad when you think of it like that
eli783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums