Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Bindings (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/)
-   -   What do Reflex and Restricted mean for Burton bindings? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bindings/50836-what-do-reflex-restricted-mean-burton.html)

kusanagi 11-04-2012 06:26 AM

What do Reflex and Restricted mean for Burton bindings?
 
For instance,

Cartel REflex
Cartel Restricted
Carted EST
Cartel EST Restricted

but a reflex binding can also function like an EST binding on a channel board
So how do they differ anyway?

aiidoneus 11-04-2012 07:02 AM

Reflex is more to do with the baseplate, supposed to provide a better flex than normal disc bindings. The restricted part, is that apparently only certain Burton dealers can sell them. I think for the Cartels, it is just a bigger asymmetric strap.

Lamps 11-04-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kusanagi (Post 534153)
For instance,

Cartel REflex
Cartel Restricted
Carted EST
Cartel EST Restricted

but a reflex binding can also function like an EST binding on a channel board
So how do they differ anyway?

restricted products are only available in some stores, they usually have a different colour scheme and maybe some additional features, e.g upgraded ankle or toe strap on some models.

Reflex is burton's technology for non-EST boards that allows the binding to flex left and right. It's like their hinge tech that is on some of their EST bindings.

If you have a channel board you should buy and EST binding, that is the binding that is supposed to go with the board.

readimag 11-04-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 534158)
restricted products are only available in some stores, they usually have a different colour scheme and maybe some additional features, e.g upgraded ankle or toe strap on some models.

Reflex is burton's technology for non-EST boards that allows the binding to flex left and right. It's like their hinge tech that is on some of their EST bindings.

If you have a channel board you should buy and EST binding, that is the binding that is supposed to go with the board.

That is not not 100% true the Living Hinge is build into the disk along with removing material from the binding base giving you the reFlex binding. I think you are thinking of the Living Hinge for the hi-back that Burton uses on both EST and reFlex. The EST having the attaching points on the outside of the bindings means they have no base material and you can have more feel and lack of a better word collapse of the binding when you push down that reFlex also has just not as much. Now Burton released THE HINGE in some of its line this year or last year cant remember, that allows you to flex left and right or roll of your foot for better ollies. Hope this helps or maybe I totally lost everyone on this.

Lamps 11-04-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readimag (Post 534172)
That is not not 100% true the Living Hinge is build into the disk along with removing material from the binding base giving you the reFlex binding. I think you are thinking of the Living Hinge for the hi-back that Burton uses on both EST and reFlex. The EST having the attaching points on the outside of the bindings means they have no base material and you can have more feel and lack of a better word collapse of the binding when you push down that reFlex also has just not as much. Now Burton released THE HINGE in some of its line this year or last year cant remember, that allows you to flex left and right or roll of your foot for better ollies. Hope this helps or maybe I totally lost everyone on this.

no, i meant the hinge, which increases flex left to right on some EST bindings, which is similar the reFlex tech, which is on non EST bindings. ReFlex discs have a ridge down the middle so they can flex with the board.

kusanagi 11-04-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 534158)
restricted products are only available in some stores, they usually have a different colour scheme and maybe some additional features, e.g upgraded ankle or toe strap on some models.

Reflex is burton's technology for non-EST boards that allows the binding to flex left and right. It's like their hinge tech that is on some of their EST bindings.

If you have a channel board you should buy and EST binding, that is the binding that is supposed to go with the board.

Burton Diode Re:Flex Binding - YouTube
0"35
the base plates are compatible with channel boards...is he wrong or sth?

hktrdr 11-04-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kusanagi (Post 534252)
Burton Diode Re:Flex Binding - YouTube
0"35
the base plates are compatible with channel boards...is he wrong or sth?

Pretty much any binding works with Burton ICS/channel boards. The problem is the other way around - EST/channel board bindings work pretty much only with ICS/channel boards, not with anything else.

kusanagi 11-04-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hktrdr (Post 534262)
Pretty much any binding works with Burton ICS/channel boards. The problem is the other way around - EST/channel board bindings work pretty much only with ICS/channel boards, not with anything else.

and reflex binding give more flex as it allows the base plate to flex together with the snowboard, in contrast EST ones only provide normal amount of flex?

hktrdr 11-04-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kusanagi (Post 534301)
and reflex binding give more flex as it allows the base plate to flex together with the snowboard, in contrast EST ones only provide normal amount of flex?

No. EST bindings give the most flex, RE:flex a bit less (but still more than the traditional disk type).

hktrdr 11-04-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kusanagi (Post 534252)
Burton Diode Re:Flex Binding - YouTube
0"35
the base plates are compatible with channel boards...is he wrong or sth?

No, he is saying the same thing that all of us have been telling you - (pretty much) all bindings (including Re:Flex ones) can go on the channel. They just will not allow for as much board flex as channel-specific EST bindings.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2