390 Boss vs Union Contact Pro - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 20
Default 390 Boss vs Union Contact Pro

guys im back with one last question.. the time has come for me to pick up some new bindings. They're gonna be paired up with an Arbor Blacklist. I ride mostly park with occasional runs through the mountain.

Which bindings would be better for overall freestyle?

I wanted the 390 bosses at first but i heard people are having trouble adjusting them to their boots. I'm gonna be using size 11.5 Burton Hails. I guess it's a 10.5 with the "shrinkage tech."

convince me to get one or the other
Gyounes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
azw131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 14
Default

Check out the Union atlas instead of the contact pros. they would be your best bet if you are going with union
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azw131 View Post
Check out the Union atlas instead of the contact pros. they would be your best bet if you are going with union
Scratch the contact pro.. I heard good things about the atlas and the stores near my house have them in stock so i could easily pick them up.

For a freestyle board setup..

390 bosses vs Atlas? either one will be the 2013 model
Gyounes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,063
Blog Entries: 2
Default

You want the 390 Boss in the L/XL size. Way better than the competing Unions.
__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 510
Default

Short answer: I've ridden both, liked them both, but LOVE my atlases.

Long answer:

I've heard rome has addressed the "staying strapped in" problem they had on my 2011 390 Bosses, but I just found them to be really "fussy" to set up. The foam padding you can change out is really cool, but was ...not hard, but seemed unneccesarily complicated. More so than Ride's Wedgie and Obviously more than burton's AutoCant.

My Atlases feel at home on my short 149 board and my longer 158 board. They're super easy to set up, wild comfy, easiest to adjust the forward lean (something that's important to me), damp, and just....work. they're my favorite binding of all time. I also like the way the highback is set up. Taller for more response, but flexier at the top so it's still really comfortable.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
You want the 390 Boss in the L/XL size. Way better than the competing Unions.
I've heard the same exact things..i actually had my mind set on the 390 bosses.. but idk what happened lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
Short answer: I've ridden both, liked them both, but LOVE my atlases.

Long answer:

I've heard rome has addressed the "staying strapped in" problem they had on my 2011 390 Bosses, but I just found them to be really "fussy" to set up. The foam padding you can change out is really cool, but was ...not hard, but seemed unneccesarily complicated. More so than Ride's Wedgie and Obviously more than burton's AutoCant.

My Atlases feel at home on my short 149 board and my longer 158 board. They're super easy to set up, wild comfy, easiest to adjust the forward lean (something that's important to me), damp, and just....work. they're my favorite binding of all time. I also like the way the highback is set up. Taller for more response, but flexier at the top so it's still really comfortable.
Thanks for the feedback. I might go to the shop and check the atlases out and see how i like them. Im usually one to go with Union but 2013 Rome Bosses have really good reviews on them
Gyounes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,321
Default

We just got shipment of Uinions so I finally got to get my hands on some Atlas's. To me they seem to be the most promising Union to date. I have a bit of worry that the heel area may ultimately collapse under hard riding and or heavier riders over time (like 100 days maybe) but thats it other than the toe area. The straps are literally impossible to get to fit right. I spen 2 hours playing with all the settings you can on the binding with both the K2 Maysis and 32 Lashed. No matter what I did it will pop up on top of you toe if you wash out toeside or take any kind of digger. With a less than ideal fit, they'll just pop up under hard riding.

If you go Atlas see if you can wrangle some Burton caps. The ratchets seemed to fit on the Union ladders (but I have not ridden or know anyone that has to confirm long term pheasability) so you can just use the whole strap and ratchet. Which s good casue the Union toe ratchet is sub par.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
We just got shipment of Uinions so I finally got to get my hands on some Atlas's. To me they seem to be the most promising Union to date. I have a bit of worry that the heel area may ultimately collapse under hard riding and or heavier riders over time (like 100 days maybe) but thats it other than the toe area. The straps are literally impossible to get to fit right. I spen 2 hours playing with all the settings you can on the binding with both the K2 Maysis and 32 Lashed. No matter what I did it will pop up on top of you toe if you wash out toeside or take any kind of digger. With a less than ideal fit, they'll just pop up under hard riding.

If you go Atlas see if you can wrangle some Burton caps. The ratchets seemed to fit on the Union ladders (but I have not ridden or know anyone that has to confirm long term pheasability) so you can just use the whole strap and ratchet. Which s good casue the Union toe ratchet is sub par.
Man, two hours seems like a REALLY long time. How did you set up the bindings? Can you post photos?

I got mine set up on my Nikes and my Burton Hails after one tall can.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 76
Default

There's some great PK videos on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c7JAK8Wf1g

Absolutely bombproof from my experience with them. I think I mentioned their straps in a previous post, best asym strap IMO out there right now.
camosunsnowboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Nose Dradamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
We just got shipment of Uinions so I finally got to get my hands on some Atlas's. To me they seem to be the most promising Union to date. I have a bit of worry that the heel area may ultimately collapse under hard riding and or heavier riders over time (like 100 days maybe) but thats it other than the toe area. The straps are literally impossible to get to fit right. I spen 2 hours playing with all the settings you can on the binding with both the K2 Maysis and 32 Lashed. No matter what I did it will pop up on top of you toe if you wash out toeside or take any kind of digger. With a less than ideal fit, they'll just pop up under hard riding.

If you go Atlas see if you can wrangle some Burton caps. The ratchets seemed to fit on the Union ladders (but I have not ridden or know anyone that has to confirm long term pheasability) so you can just use the whole strap and ratchet. Which s good casue the Union toe ratchet is sub par.
Kevin, you need some help. Really.
Nose Dradamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bindings, rome 390 boss, union contact pro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums