Bindings with no shortcomings!? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sassicaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Just the opposite. Cleared it with one of the reps over the weekend. Despite what the site says, the Cartel is now softer than the Malavita.

And the Genesis is not meant to fill the hole of the Prophecy by the way. Its not meant as a stiffer all mountain binding. Its a softer high tech binding for those that have shit tons of money and want the cool shit. Usually that guy isn't a great rider and getting all the cool shit usually means a stiff binding, which is beyond their ability. Hence the Genesis, cool shit and soft so it's not beyond the rich new guy.

K2 Company's. No crazy tech to break, just a simple, responsive, damp, and functional binding.
So its a big conspiracy on the Burton site? Why would they list the Cartel as 7, and the Malavita as 6, when its the reverse. Whats the logic behind not listing product information as being accurate?
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 667
Default

aren't they both 7's? maybe they had to make the malavita highback stiffer to accomodate the heel hammock better? If people ride their straps looser because of the hammock, maybe they need a stiffer highback to offset it.
but whatever, I think both bindings do the same thing
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sassicaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
aren't they both 7's? maybe they had to make the malavita highback stiffer to accomodate the heel hammock better? If people ride their straps looser because of the hammock, maybe they need a stiffer highback to offset it.
but whatever, I think both bindings do the same thing
According to their site.

Restricted Maltiva EST: 7
Maltiva EST: 6
Restricted Cartel EST: 7
Cartel EST: 7

Just for discussion sake they list the Genesis EST as 7.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 667
Default

hmm, yeah, they list the same numbers for the reflex versions.
well, diodes are only 8's. I don't put too much stock in those numbers anyways. It's more marketing-influenced than anything scientific
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Default

Nivek, did he say this in regards to the est or reflex versions or does it apply to both? It makes sense to me since the malavita moved up to 30% glass and the high back does feel a good amount stiffer in hand. Also, how would you say the company's compare to the malavits and salomon chiefs stiffness/response wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Just the opposite. Cleared it with one of the reps over the weekend. Despite what the site says, the Cartel is now softer than the Malavita.

And the Genesis is not meant to fill the hole of the Prophecy by the way. Its not meant as a stiffer all mountain binding. Its a softer high tech binding for those that have shit tons of money and want the cool shit. Usually that guy isn't a great rider and getting all the cool shit usually means a stiff binding, which is beyond their ability. Hence the Genesis, cool shit and soft so it's not beyond the rich new guy.

K2 Company's. No crazy tech to break, just a simple, responsive, damp, and functional binding.
addi61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addi61 View Post
Nivek, did he say this in regards to the est or reflex versions or does it apply to both? It makes sense to me since the malavita moved up to 30% glass and the high back does feel a good amount stiffer in hand. Also, how would you say the company's compare to the malavits and salomon chiefs stiffness/response wise?
He didn't specify between ReFlex and EST. But with the Hinge the EST Malavita it will be a smidge softer than the ReFlex. But still stiffer than the Cartel. It's really that highback. The highback is just that much softer.

Company's are about where the Prophecy landed, a little stiffer than the Chief. The Chief sits kinda in between the Malavita and Cartel. It's a great do everything binding.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 11-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 667
Default

so yes, the malavita highback is stiffer than the cartels, but the cartel's baseplate is stiffer.

The cartel's highback is as strong as the 2012 when pushing straight back
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Default

I think the Malavita base is as stiff as the Cartel this year. Its listed as 30% glass blend vs. 11% last year. The shape on this years base is different than last years when it matched the Cartel but its that same shape that the Diode and Genesis have.
addi61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 474
Default

I made it into the Burton flagship store in LA before thanksgiving and according to the guys in the store, the 2013 Cartel highback has enhanced torsional flex but is as stiff and responsive as ever when pushing straight back into it. That combined with the usual level of stiffness in the baseplate is apparently why they still rate the 2013 Cartel stiffer overall than the 2013 Malavita. This is for both Reflex and EST versions.

I ended up getting the 2013 restricted reflex malavitas with the wing highback. Sweet binding and the highback did not feel stiffer than the cartels in any direction to me but this was just in the store and I did not analyze it too closely.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
He didn't specify between ReFlex and EST. But with the Hinge the EST Malavita it will be a smidge softer than the ReFlex. But still stiffer than the Cartel. It's really that highback. The highback is just that much softer.

Company's are about where the Prophecy landed, a little stiffer than the Chief. The Chief sits kinda in between the Malavita and Cartel. It's a great do everything binding.
Sorry to jack this thread.

Nivek,

I read your comment on the mini review. Why no love for the Salomon Hologram? Do you think the Heritage and Machete will be to stiff for the Hologram? I'm thinking since Bobby has a pair of Dialogues, it would be a great match.

Just asking, not looking to cause any problem - Nito
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums