Bindings for my setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bindings for my setup

So I am getting a new setup. I settled on the NS Cobra 158 and a pair of Ride Insano boots. I am 5'9", 185-190lbs, size 9.5 boot. No park riding, just cruising groomers and searching the glades for some pow. Not a mach 10 speedster, either.

I ordered a set of Union SL (M/L) and Burton Genesis (M) based on what I read and the input from the guys in the local shop. I must say that the release issues on the Union toe strap are pretty apparent compared to the Burtons which has me leaning towards the Genesis.

I handled the Rome Tagras in the shop but they were a lot heavier and I am curious about the Flux SF45s.

Anyone have input on this?
jchaison is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaison View Post
So I am getting a new setup. I settled on the NS Cobra 158 and a pair of Ride Insano boots. I am 5'9", 185-190lbs, size 9.5 boot. No park riding, just cruising groomers and searching the glades for some pow. Not a mach 10 speedster, either.

I ordered a set of Union SL (M/L) and Burton Genesis (M) based on what I read and the input from the guys in the local shop. I must say that the release issues on the Union toe strap are pretty apparent compared to the Burtons which has me leaning towards the Genesis.

I handled the Rome Tagras in the shop but they were a lot heavier and I am curious about the Flux SF45s.

Anyone have input on this?
Frankly, it will not make much of difference. See which one fit your boot best and have the most comfortable straps. Maybe check for features that you want, if any (canting, zero forward lean, erc.).
Weight does not matter.
hktrdr is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!
 
GreyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,586
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Frankly, it will not make much of difference. See which one fit your boot best and have the most comfortable straps. Maybe check for features that you want, if any (canting, zero forward lean, erc.).
Weight does not matter.
Good advice, but I think that last line needs a little explanation. How does weight not matter? Pick up a pair of Technine bindings and then a pair of Burton Diodes and I know which one you"ll buy, even if they both had the same features.

To OP, I'm glad to hear that someone on here isn't thrilled with Union bindings. Despite all the love thrown at them, they look like toys to me, and about as durable. I switched this season to Burton Reflex from Salomon, but have yet to ride them, FYI.
GreyDragon is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Member
 
131441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Waterville, Oh
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the cobra brothers in arms board, and ended up with rome 390's after some conversations with local shop owner. He rides the 390's himself.

I did ask him about the problems people have been having about the unions and he replied that he hasnt seen that but union gives them so many extra replacement parts that he could build another couple pair.

So read into that what you like.
131441 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Pick up a pair of Technine bindings and then a pair of Burton Diodes and I know which one you"ll buy, even if they both had the same features.
Not really. Pick them up - notable difference. Ride them - most people will not be able to tell any difference (from weight, that is).
hktrdr is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,925
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Good advice, but I think that last line needs a little explanation. How does weight not matter?
Weight doesn't matter because the difference in weight savings from a heavy board to a light one, or heavy bindings to light ones, is like the difference of a glass of water and breakfast size.

Weight should only be a consideration for a splitty imo, otherwise you are fooling yourself.

A week in the gym will make heavy gear feel lighter than buying a new super light setup.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,575
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Based on what I've been told about the Genesis I'd hold off on those till you can demo them if possible. On a Cobra I'd personally look at Flow NX2 SE's, Flux DMCC Lights, K2 Companies, or Salomon Holograms.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Based on what I've been told about the Genesis I'd hold off on those till you can demo them if possible. On a Cobra I'd personally look at Flow NX2 SE's, Flux DMCC Lights, K2 Companies, or Salomon Holograms.
What have you heard about the Genesis that gives you pause?
jchaison is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,575
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchaison View Post
What have you heard about the Genesis that gives you pause?
This is what I was told about the Genesis by Burton, I have not ridden them:

The average buyer getting the super high end techy stuff is the guy with lots of money that rides maybe 5 days a year. That guy isnt really pushing his equipment and probably doesnt need something super responsive and stiff. Now, Genesis. A super techy binding that isnt "uber" stiff and "ultra" responsive. So the rich dude can spend his money but get a binding thats a little more appropriate to his ability.

Basically in price they replaced the Prophecy which would fit what youre looking for, but I dont know if they match up in performance. So with what I was told I think a demo before purchase is a good idea for the Genesis.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, here's a differing viewpoint. Burton (my rep) told me that they were amazing bindings and when I tried them I couldn't give them back. I never get high end bindings since cartels are so good...but I made sure this year to sell off off enough gear to be able to afford them.
Supra is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome