Burton Diode or Cartel est - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd21 View Post
my take
Stiff: Intermediate/ Expert
Soft: Begginer/Intermediate
(Usually)
Obviously, that must be why you see lots of pro riders with soft bindings... [/facepalm]
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Obviously, that must be why you see lots of pro riders with soft bindings... [/facepalm]
Thats why its my opinion, I didn't express it well but that was my progression and what I've seen works best for my progression from begginer-Intermidiate/advanced
cd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveeight View Post
For what specific reason would a person need stiff bindings?
You have a $1500 board and are not sure why you would or would not want stiff bindings?

That's like saying I just bought a Porsche but I'm not sure if I want to put summer or winter tires on it...

Just because the Mystery has a fast base, doesn't mean you can make it go fast.

Reminds me of a kid I met on the slopes when I was an instructor. He had a Burton Method with C60 bindings and Burton SL boots... easily over $2000... and he fucking hated it. I couldn't help but get a lil chuckle out of it.

Stiff bindings are for carving and high response at high speeds. Choosing a stiff binding due to it's weight is the wrong decision to make. Choose a stiff binding, like the Diode, if you have a stiff board and want instant response at the cost of cushioning and flex.

The mystery is a 5/10 in flex but directional, so not a true freestyle board. I would say the Cartels would be great, but if you have to blow some cash the Genesis would be a better bet than the Diodes.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 11-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
You have a $1500 board and are not sure why you would or would not want stiff bindings?

That's like saying I just bought a Porsche but I'm not sure if I want to put summer or winter tires on it...

Just because the Mystery has a fast base, doesn't mean you can make it go fast.

Reminds me of a kid I met on the slopes when I was an instructor. He had a Burton Method with C60 bindings and Burton SL boots... easily over $2000... and he fucking hated it. I couldn't help but get a lil chuckle out of it.

Stiff bindings are for carving and high response at high speeds. Choosing a stiff binding due to it's weight is the wrong decision to make. Choose a stiff binding, like the Diode, if you have a stiff board and want instant response at the cost of cushioning and flex.

The mystery is a 5/10 in flex but directional, so not a true freestyle board. I would say the Cartels would be great, but if you have to blow some cash the Genesis would be a better bet than the Diodes.
to save some cash I would probably go with the Cartels
cd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
You have a $1500 board and are not sure why you would or would not want stiff bindings?

That's like saying I just bought a Porsche but I'm not sure if I want to put summer or winter tires on it...

Just because the Mystery has a fast base, doesn't mean you can make it go fast.

Reminds me of a kid I met on the slopes when I was an instructor. He had a Burton Method with C60 bindings and Burton SL boots... easily over $2000... and he fucking hated it. I couldn't help but get a lil chuckle out of it.

Stiff bindings are for carving and high response at high speeds. Choosing a stiff binding due to it's weight is the wrong decision to make. Choose a stiff binding, like the Diode, if you have a stiff board and want instant response at the cost of cushioning and flex.

The mystery is a 5/10 in flex but directional, so not a true freestyle board. I would say the Cartels would be great, but if you have to blow some cash the Genesis would be a better bet than the Diodes.
I get your point here thanks for clearing some of my issues. I have only been snowboarding for 3 years with only 3 trips to New Zealand in that time so i do not class myself as a expert snowboarder.

I think ill stick with my cartels and see how they run on the mystery, if i feel i want a stiffer binding then ill just buy some in Niseko Japan as long as they are not crazy expensive. If anyone has had to buy some snowboard gear in Japan some input here would be greatly appreciated on expected pricing.

Last edited by Liveeight; 11-27-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Liveeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 148
Default

they will probably be crazy expensive... i was in the snowboard / ski shop area of Tokyo last week and found that most things were around 50 to 75% above USA prices. although I cannot say for certain, I highly doubt that prices in Niseko or Kutchan would be any lower.
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
they will probably be crazy expensive... i was in the snowboard / ski shop area of Tokyo last week and found that most things were around 50 to 75% above USA prices. although I cannot say for certain, I highly doubt that prices in Niseko or Kutchan would be any lower.
Lol well im in Aus now and i can only buy burton gear from the states because over here the method is $1500 still and diodes (if you can find them) are up to $550.

I was hoping that Japan would be in the same price range as the USA but i guess not.
Liveeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 658
Default

Reflex diodes are 47,250
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member
 
ETM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The winds are a changing
Posts: 1,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
Reflex diodes are 47,250
around AU$590
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Default

WHOA they arent even the est, Thanks for the info.
Liveeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums