Binding Highback Angle - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Tristan-NZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 37
Default Binding Highback Angle

Hi
I'm riding on my Burton Process ICS with Custom EST bindings.
They have an adjustable angle highback.
For majority groomer riding, what would having my highbacks pumped all the way forward do?

I assume it would force my knees to bend so that would be a good thing right?
__________________
Ride it like you stole it.
Tristan-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan-NZ View Post
Hi
I'm riding on my Burton Process ICS with Custom EST bindings.
They have an adjustable angle highback.
For majority groomer riding, what would having my highbacks pumped all the way forward do?

I assume it would force my knees to bend so that would be a good thing right?
If you have problems bending your knees enough... setting the forward lean to the max setting can help teach you to ride in a more athletic posture...

However, for regular riding... just angle them enough so they just barely touch the back of you boots when you are strapped in (you can strap in your boots by themselves in the house to get the angles right).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
However, for regular riding... just angle them enough so they just barely touch the back of you boots when you are strapped in (you can strap in your boots by themselves in the house to get the angles right).
^^^This

Putting your highbacks too far forward will probly be painful for your calves.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Fiziks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Default

You definitely do NOT want to put your high back angles fully forward. It *sounds* like it would make your riding better, but honestly it will not improve your riding at all and will only make your calves fatigue unnecessarily. The only people that really crank their high backs forward are advanced half pipe riders. And that is only for the guys riding pipe that has a lot of vert.

Feel free to experiment with a few different high-back angles if you want, but in the end it won't really make much of a difference. You will eventually get used to whatever you set your high-backs at and not even notice you made a change in them.
Fiziks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
You definitely do NOT want to put your high back angles fully forward. It *sounds* like it would make your riding better, but honestly it will not improve your riding at all and will only make your calves fatigue unnecessarily. The only people that really crank their high backs forward are advanced half pipe riders. And that is only for the guys riding pipe that has a lot of vert.

Feel free to experiment with a few different high-back angles if you want, but in the end it won't really make much of a difference. You will eventually get used to whatever you set your high-backs at and not even notice you made a change in them.
^^ exactly. Only put forward lean to max if you ride the half pipe. If you ride jibs, then you usually don't ride with any lean at all. If your just riding groomers, somewhere between half and no lean works best.

The more lean you have, the more you're calves will burn as you ride.
roboelmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 130
Default

I ride with zero forward lean. I find it a lot more comfortable.
KnoxBoarderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: From Mt. Hood to Mt Baker
Posts: 18
Default Another way to look at it

When you get right down to it, the highback forward lean is designed to force you to flex your ankles, which will in turn generally force a more flexed knee as well. When snowboarding, we almost never want to be opening (extending) our ankle joints.

When initiating a heelside turn, we want to pull up on our toes while keeping our knees bent (this will flex the ankle joint). Many riders are lazy here and just rest against the highback and relax their ankle, this makes for a lower edge angle and more leaning of the upper body (we call this inclination). This leads to less performance, and less balance as the upper body moves away from the board. On the other hand, if we have the highbacks dialed in some, we can use the angles of our lower body to create a high edge angle while keeping the upper body over the board (we call this angulation). This makes for more performance with less movement, and more balance because our upper body stays over the board.

When initiating toeside turns we want to also flex our ankles, especially our front ankle. To test this (at low speed please), try extending your ankle when starting a turn (like standing on our tippy toes), how does it feel? Tiring, and wobbly most likely. Now try flexing your knee into the shin of your boot, allowing your ankle to flex with it. you will feel more power, and stability. For all the reasons that apply on heelside (inclination vs angulation).

Lastly all of these improvements will reduce the movement required edge to edge making you smoother and faster changing edges.

As a summary, can you ride perfectly without forward lean? of course! is it easier to show these proper and efficient movements with some forward lean, definitely! It will come down to personal preference how much forward lean you will like! I suggest playing with it, seeing how it feels, and seeing what you like. I suggest small changes to it and ride for several runs before deciding whether you like it or hate it... Either way, have fun and keep shredding!
Bear5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5001 View Post
When you get right down to it, the highback forward lean is designed to force you to flex your ankles, which will in turn generally force a more flexed knee as well. When snowboarding, we almost never want to be opening (extending) our ankle joints.

When initiating a heelside turn, we want to pull up on our toes while keeping our knees bent (this will flex the ankle joint). Many riders are lazy here and just rest against the highback and relax their ankle, this makes for a lower edge angle and more leaning of the upper body (we call this inclination). This leads to less performance, and less balance as the upper body moves away from the board. On the other hand, if we have the highbacks dialed in some, we can use the angles of our lower body to create a high edge angle while keeping the upper body over the board (we call this angulation). This makes for more performance with less movement, and more balance because our upper body stays over the board.

When initiating toeside turns we want to also flex our ankles, especially our front ankle. To test this (at low speed please), try extending your ankle when starting a turn (like standing on our tippy toes), how does it feel? Tiring, and wobbly most likely. Now try flexing your knee into the shin of your boot, allowing your ankle to flex with it. you will feel more power, and stability. For all the reasons that apply on heelside (inclination vs angulation).

Lastly all of these improvements will reduce the movement required edge to edge making you smoother and faster changing edges.

As a summary, can you ride perfectly without forward lean? of course! is it easier to show these proper and efficient movements with some forward lean, definitely! It will come down to personal preference how much forward lean you will like! I suggest playing with it, seeing how it feels, and seeing what you like. I suggest small changes to it and ride for several runs before deciding whether you like it or hate it... Either way, have fun and keep shredding!
Cool story bro, needs more dragons n shit. Lol jk, but to make sense of that:


How much lean or w.e. should be used? It's preference. Everyone is different, though we all follow a general rule of thumb:

Forward lean = good for carvers/all mountain use...helps with weight transfer. No Lean = Good for jibs as there is neutral weight transfer, meaning more stable/flat base
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 84
Default

Im a freerider, and i ride with 0 lean because it feels more comfortable to me some lean might make edge to edge a little faster but i think ... Comfort > Edge to edge. Just test it out and find what feels the best for you.
mr_____awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
You definitely do NOT want to put your high back angles fully forward... The only people that really crank their high backs forward are advanced half pipe riders. And that is only for the guys riding pipe that has a lot of vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboelmo View Post
^^ exactly. Only put forward lean to max if you ride the half pipe.
Wait, why do pipe riders want lots of forward lean?
TheNorminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums