The stiffest bindings - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Know all about them small condoms do you?....

Sorry, but I just couldn't pass up such an opportunity....
BAH! Foiled by my own attempt to be a smart ass!!!

That's okay, my new board arrives today. As long as the UPS truck doesn't blow up nothing could ruin this day!!!
poutanen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
AIRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't know how they compare to other bindings but Flow has the nx2 Rs as 5/5 stiff rating.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AIRider is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
C60 were hella stiff, but they are still made for freestyle big Mtn riding. So less stiff then stiff bindings made for carving or such. Pretty sure this is as stiff as you can get: Freeride 2 Pro EVO bindings
blunted_nose is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
C60 were hella stiff, but they are still made for freestyle big Mtn riding. So less stiff then stiff bindings made for carving or such. Pretty sure this is as stiff as you can get: Freeride 2 Pro EVO bindings
Soft Bindings For Freecarving

Bindings for Boardercross

Seems like people use a little of everything...

There is a point of diminishing returns. A board and boots can only be so stiff, putting something TOO stiff on the board may not feel any better than stiff freeride bindings.
poutanen is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
C60 were hella stiff, but they are still made for freestyle big Mtn riding. So less stiff then stiff bindings made for carving or such. Pretty sure this is as stiff as you can get: Freeride 2 Pro EVO bindings
I cant say i have had a pair of these ^ in my hands but i can say that if OP is really looking for a great binding that is super stiff that i can vouch for raidens. The cap strap is awesome, one of the best I've used actually, the airbags are awesome and still responsive and the ratchets are butter.

I have not used the Machines as they were seriously too stiff for me (i weigh 265/270lbs) so i bought the phantoms for great responsiveness and some forgiveness when i fuck up.

IMO for all the features they offer and the comfort you cant go past the machines, the CATEK just don't seem to have the same range of features for a similar price.

my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Not sure if I should mention Burton C60s here since they're not made anymore, but they're right up there in the stiffness range. I've heard Diodes are plenty stiff too but fragile.

I'm pairing C60's with my new fancy pants freeride board so that shows the OP what I think are stiff bindings.

I should stop promoting them considering I'm trying to find some nearly new.
I second this
jbernste03 is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
I cant say i have had a pair of these ^ in my hands but i can say that if OP is really looking for a great binding that is super stiff that i can vouch for raidens. The cap strap is awesome, one of the best I've used actually, the airbags are awesome and still responsive and the ratchets are butter.

I have not used the Machines as they were seriously too stiff for me (i weigh 265/270lbs) so i bought the phantoms for great responsiveness and some forgiveness when i fuck up.

IMO for all the features they offer and the comfort you cant go past the machines, the CATEK just don't seem to have the same range of features for a similar price.
I rode a prototype version of the Catek Freerides. They are by far stiffer than my Burton C60 or CO2. I haven't actually ridden the Raidens, but I have seen them in the shop and I'm pretty sure the Catek Freerides are miles stiffer than those as well. It is without question the most responsive strap binding that exists. With the dampening disk thingie, they are also probably one of the most damp bindings made. Finally, the have the Catek baseplate, which allows your to dial in a infinite combination of lift/cant you want.

However, I would not recommend it to most people because the design doesn't have the ergonomics features found in the bindings made in the last 5 years or so, so they aren't quite as comfortable. Frankly I don't think anyone really needs that much customization in cant... (1*,2*,2.5* is probably plenty). Front/Back Lift (i.e. like an adjustable toe/heel ramp) is actually kind of nice... but again, not an essential feature for 99 percent of riders.

I think the Catek FR2 Pro Evo as like a Ferrari. Mostly for people who have ridden a lot of bindings, like to go really fast, have a lot of money, and are looking for something "exotic." However, much in the in the same way a Ferrari or a McLaren is high-performance, expensive and exotic, and probably not the car you want to go buy groceries with, or pick up your kids at daycare - this binding is definitely overkill for "soccer mom" snowboarders.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-10-2012 at 03:47 PM.
lonerider is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Chargers have the Atlas baseplate, so they are probably not even the stiffest and responsive bindings from Union (let alone in the market).
Well, the Union and C3 guys I talked with last season all said the Charger is absolutely the stiffest binding that Union makes and sells. I guess they could be wrong, but somehow I doubt it. It definitely was the stiffest Union binding I rode. I don't know that I would go so far as to call it the stiffest out there, but I absolutely would say that it is the stiffest in the Union line.

Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I rode a prototype version of the Catek Freerides. They are by far stiffer than my Burton C60 or CO2. I haven't actually ridden the Raidens, but I have seen them in the shop and I'm pretty sure the Catek Freerides are miles stiffer than those as well. It is without question the most responsive strap binding that exists. With the dampening disk thingie, they are also probably one of the most damp bindings made. Finally, the have the Catek baseplate, which allows your to dial in a infinite combination of lift/cant you want.

However, I would not recommend it to most people because the design doesn't have the ergonomics features found in the bindings made in the last 5 years or so, so they aren't quite as comfortable. Frankly I don't think anyone really needs that much customization in cant... (1*,2*,2.5* is probably plenty). Front/Back Lift (i.e. like an adjustable toe/heel ramp) is actually kind of nice... but again, not an essential feature for 99 percent of riders.

I think the Catek FR2 Pro Evo as like a Ferrari. Mostly for people who have ridden a lot of bindings, like to go really fast, have a lot of money, and are looking for something "exotic." However, much in the in the same way a Ferrari or a McLaren is high-performance, expensive and exotic, and probably not the car you want to go buy groceries with, or pick up your kids at daycare - this binding is definitely overkill for "soccer mom" snowboarders.

Those look like the most uncomfortable binders on the planet
jbernste03 is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
Well, the Union and C3 guys I talked with last season all said the Charger is absolutely the stiffest binding that Union makes and sells. I guess they could be wrong, but somehow I doubt it. It definitely was the stiffest Union binding I rode. I don't know that I would go so far as to call it the stiffest out there, but I absolutely would say that it is the stiffest in the Union line.
Well, the Union/C3 guys do not really seem to be consistent or in agreement on what their stiffest binding is (based on this and this).
In any case, the Chargers might be very well be the stiffest Union binding (note that I did not claim otherwise), but they sure as hell are not the stiffest bindings in the market.
hktrdr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome