Cartels VS Malavitas - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
CheoSamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Henryville PA
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cartels VS Malavitas

So, either tomorrow or the day after I will be ordering/picking up a new pair of bindings.

The 2 I'm trying to decide between are the Cartel, and the Malavita.

The board they are going on is a Lobster Freestyle, and I will be riding park almost exclusively.
Which one would you guys choose for this setup?

(Size 11 Nike Zoom force ones if that makes a difference to anyone)

Emerica should make snowboard boots


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CheoSamad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,816
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
They are pretty close man. The 'Vitas are a bit more $$ for a bit lighter and a touch of tech/features. Both would be great IMO. I have '12 Vitas on my Proto right now they are . I would like to get Cartels as well.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
CheoSamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Henryville PA
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
They are pretty close man. The 'Vitas are a bit more $$ for a bit lighter and a touch of tech/features. Both would be great IMO. I have '12 Vitas on my Proto right now they are . I would like to get Cartels as well.
They will be my Christmas gift so the $$ part does not bother me much. The cost is pretty close on them. I have been told the Vitas are stiffer.

Emerica should make snowboard boots


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CheoSamad is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,816
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheoSamad View Post
They will be my Christmas gift so the $$ part does not bother me much. The cost is pretty close on them. I have been told the Vitas are stiffer.
Yea but its pretty marginal. I have a feeling the baseplate on the Cartel is a little more solid but I haven't had the chance to compare them yet.

Jus' sayin that

1. they are pretty close and would be hard to appreciate the differences. ( meaning you would be stoked on either or disapointed with both)

2. money no issue? can't go wrong with the 'Vitas. If you want looser go Cartel, Nivek says starting in '12 the Cartels are coming back to park domination while the 'Vitas seem to have more all mountain support. There are plenty of kids who ride noodles for jibbin with pretty supportive bindings and boots so just keep in mind how subjective it all is.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
CheoSamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Henryville PA
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Yea but its pretty marginal. I have a feeling the baseplate on the Cartel is a little more solid but I haven't had the chance to compare them yet.

Jus' sayin that

1. they are pretty close and would be hard to appreciate the differences. ( meaning you would be stoked on either or disapointed with both)

2. money no issue? can't go wrong with the 'Vitas. If you want looser go Cartel, Nivek says starting in '12 the Cartels are coming back to park domination while the 'Vitas seem to have more all mountain support. There are plenty of kids who ride noodles for jibbin with pretty supportive bindings and boots so just keep in mind how subjective it all is.
I think I am gonna be going for the Vita. Hopefully I like them. I have loved my last 2 pairs of Burton bindings so lets hope I'm on a hot streak.

Emerica should make snowboard boots


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CheoSamad is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
CheoSamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Henryville PA
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ended up getting the Cartel today. While they are both pretty similar I feel like the Vita is a more all mountain binding, and the Cartel is a bit more park friendly.
Super stoked on the restricted colors.




Emerica should make snowboard boots


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CheoSamad is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
dice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC (Canada)
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good call.

I was in the same boat all week! With only $18 difference between (40% sale) them I couldn't decide. I wanted something very similar to my P1.1's (which I love for everything from park, to jumps, to trees, to carving and speed) in that they are forgiving & have enough room for playing around, accurate on jumps and still be aggressive when need be.

Anyway... in the end it seemed like the Cartels would be the better choice to pair with my Travis Rice just cause of the extra flex & play.

I think it was so close that I don't think I'd gone wrong either way. But rather than get the VITA's, I'll be holding out for the Genesis as my all around when I spot 'em on a good sale!


Thnx for OP.

Cheers...
dice is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 2
I was at the Burton Mountain Festival demo weekend at Mt. Hood Meadows this past weekend, and tested out the Restricted Cartels. When I was debating whether to demo those or the Vitas, The guy that set me up with them explained the Vitas are softer--so I went with the Cartels. I heard the same thing from a shop kid at a reputable local snowboard shop.

Then you've got people on this forum saying it's the other way around...so which is it?

16 Gnu Swallow Tail Carver . 16 NS West . 15 NS Snowtrooper BIA
16 Burton Genesis X . 15 Now Drive
16 Flow Talon . 14 Flow Hylite
Triple8Sol is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
Good call.

I was in the same boat all week! With only $18 difference between (40% sale) them I couldn't decide. I wanted something very similar to my P1.1's (which I love for everything from park, to jumps, to trees, to carving and speed) in that they are forgiving & have enough room for playing around, accurate on jumps and still be aggressive when need be.

Anyway... in the end it seemed like the Cartels would be the better choice to pair with my Travis Rice just cause of the extra flex & play.

I think it was so close that I don't think I'd gone wrong either way. But rather than get the VITA's, I'll be holding out for the Genesis as my all around when I spot 'em on a good sale!


Thnx for OP.

Cheers...
40% sale? Yo yo where?
NoOtherOptions is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I was at the Burton Mountain Festival demo weekend at Mt. Hood Meadows this past weekend, and tested out the Restricted Cartels. When I was debating whether to demo those or the Vitas, The guy that set me up with them explained the Vitas are softer--so I went with the Cartels. I heard the same thing from a shop kid at a reputable local snowboard shop.

Then you've got people on this forum saying it's the other way around...so which is it?
The Cartels have traditionally been stiffer, but the 2013 model has gotten softer. I haven't been able to compare them to the 2013 Malavitas, but I do know that the 2013 Cartels definitely feel softer to me than my 2012 Cartels.
tdn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome