Returning Unions... what next? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
I am also looking for some new bindings right now, to throw on a proto.

I do some pretty technical riding (steep tree runs) so they need to be responsive, but I am getting more into freestyle so some play is also required.

I have 2011 cartels and they are the easy to get (in Japan) solid choice, but I would like to mix it up a bit. The NOWs look sweet but are not really available in my size here.

I will look at raiden, flow and K2. The cartels are still in the mix if I don't see anything I like better.

Any other suggestions welcome as well as specific suggestions within those brands.
I just rode my proto with the genesis bindings on them... Match made in heaven. My bosses will never go back on the proto now. Although I don't have the privilege of riding your terrain, I like to do tree runs (shitty mi ones lol) and some freestyle.

It's nice and playful when you need it, but responsive when you drive into the highback thanks to the hammock. Very comfortable and light bindings.

I do find myself missing canted footbeds though.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I just rode my proto with the genesis bindings on them... Match made in heaven. My bosses will never go back on the proto now. Although I don't have the privilege of riding your terrain, I like to do tree runs (shitty mi ones lol) and some freestyle.

It's nice and playful when you need it, but responsive when you drive into the highback thanks to the hammock. Very comfortable and light bindings.

I do find myself missing canted footbeds though.
+1 on the gen

we miss your revews mang when can we have an update?
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I just rode my proto with the genesis bindings on them... Match made in heaven. My bosses will never go back on the proto now. Although I don't have the privilege of riding your terrain, I like to do tree runs (shitty mi ones lol) and some freestyle.

It's nice and playful when you need it, but responsive when you drive into the highback thanks to the hammock. Very comfortable and light bindings.

I do find myself missing canted footbeds though.
Interesting. Just demo'ed the Genesis on the Cobra for a couple of days and I am going back to the 390 Bosses - think they are both more responsive when I need and more playful when I want.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
dreampow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kyoto Japan
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I just rode my proto with the genesis bindings on them... Match made in heaven.
It's nice and playful when you need it, but responsive when you drive into the highback thanks to the hammock. Very comfortable and light bindings.

I do find myself missing canted footbeds though.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have been looking at some genesis just today.
I can pick some up at a reasonable price in my size.

I have two reservations though,

1) Most riders seems to say they are more on the freestyle side of all mountain. I definitely need enough response to handle some pretty steep technical terrain of the pistes.

2) Thanks to your post, I now see they have no autocant. Why not?

I have looked at several different companies (within whats available here in Japan) and I just keep coming back to the cartels. The little extra stiffness (compared to the genesis) and I know they will do everything I need of them.

I can get my hands on the restricted and the limited late release (lighter and with react strap upgrade).

I am now leaning heavily towards those limited cartels.

Any thoughts? Have you ridden them?

Happy new years eve everyone.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Have been looking at some genesis just today.
I can pick some up at a reasonable price in my size.

I have two reservations though,

1) Most riders seems to say they are more on the freestyle side of all mountain. I definitely need enough response to handle some pretty steep technical terrain of the pistes.

2) Thanks to your post, I now see they have no autocant. Why not?

I have looked at several different companies (within whats available here in Japan) and I just keep coming back to the cartels. The little extra stiffness (compared to the genesis) and I know they will do everything I need of them.

I can get my hands on the restricted and the limited late release (lighter and with react strap upgrade).

I am now leaning heavily towards those limited cartels.

Any thoughts? Have you ridden them?

Happy new years eve everyone.
Cartels are a solid choice too. I love those bindings. Just keep in mind they become a bit more forgiving putting them back into the freestyle orientated side of the all-mountain game.

However, as you said, they are stiffer than the genesis. Genesis definitely have more lateral flex. The hammock on the highback in my opinion make them more responsive on the heel edge though. As soon you lean heel side, you get the response.

I am also very confused as to why they didn't give it autocant. I thought maybe they just didn't list it as a feature, but it's definitely missing. I was thinking about contacting burton to see if they can hook me up with autocant footbeds.

Are you able to physically handle a pair? Maybe the shop will let you mount it on a board so you can get an idea about the flex?

I think the Targas would be too stiff for him Wolfie. He said he wants to do more freestyle. I found Targas to be very unforgiving even without any inserts in he ankle strap. But they definitely would make sick technical bindings.

Guess it also depends on what type of freestyle you want to do. You're probably not gonna like buttering or jibbing with those bindings.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Interesting. Just demo'ed the Genesis on the Cobra for a couple of days and I am going back to the 390 Bosses - think they are both more responsive when I need and more playful when I want.
Interesting. The 390's are quite a bit more flexy.

Genesis gave me more edge response especially heel side.

I'll have some more reviews coming up. I had a lot happen to me in my personal life. Busy busy busy.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I am actually currently riding the Cobra with a pair of Union Contact Pro`s and am finding them a great match. I do prefer a slightly softer binding though. I ride the Cobra on everything from groomers, to steeps, tight trees and large moguls on black terrain and find the Pro`s work extremely well.

Now, as for the Rome bindings which are still my favorite bindings overall , The 390/390 Boss actually is a good match. I personally feel that the Arsenals were overkill in the stiffness and made the board a bit too responsive and therefore touchy. For Leo who is more park oriented, definitely the 390/390 boss. For Dreampow in the deep Japan pow, I would lean toward the stiffer Targa with canting. The Arsenals have turned out to be a great match for the Summit and I am going to use them on the Raptor as well.
After much waffling, I ended up ordering Flux DMCC lights. I am a little nervous that they'll be a little too soft but from what I've been reading they are stiffer than the Contact Pro's/390's and you and Leo have liked both on the Cobra. So will see
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 609
Posts: 281
Default

A lot of people with that version of Union's Toe Cap have issues with certain boots. What kind of boots do you wear?

I have a pair of Union Data's and a pair of Union Atlas's and have never had a problem. Rome 390's are awesome binders as well.

Maybe look into getting one of those style of toe caps.
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
A lot of people with that version of Union's Toe Cap have issues with certain boots. What kind of boots do you wear?

I have a pair of Union Data's and a pair of Union Atlas's and have never had a problem. Rome 390's are awesome binders as well.

Maybe look into getting one of those style of toe caps.
I wear Salomon Syanpses which have a smooth round toe.... Union toe cap just doesn't work with it. Too bad cause outside the toe cap I like the Unions.
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 609
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
I wear Salomon Syanpses which have a smooth round toe.... Union toe cap just doesn't work with it. Too bad cause outside the toe cap I like the Unions.
Yea, some boots just won't work with those open toe cap designs. For those boots you would want to look into bindings that have some kind of stretchy toe cap, like the Rome and Ride binders.

Or you can Frankenbinder it:

Frankenbindings: Toe straps/caps! | Jibby Snowboarding
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums