2013 union binding >HELP< - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I have a pair of union flite bindings. I love them, have never had a problem with the release. Guess I am lucky.
I agree, but it's not because of luck.
I have the DLX and Force bindings. My bro has the Flites. The DLX and Flite both have the same toe ratchet, which is a lot easier to release than that of the other Union bindings.

Also, the lock on The DLX/Flite ratchets opens up wider which makes them easier to slide on the ladders. I have a DLX toe ratchet on my back binding and a Force ratchet on my front binding, since I get out of the back binding after every run. Both sets of my straps are from the Force bindings, and I use the DLX ankle ratchets too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I am however completely pissed that the pretty pink paint is chipping off in one or two spots already. I have only spent time on the bunny hill. Not like I am tearing down the mountain or anything.

Annoyingly, the paint on my heel loop and toe ratchets has also started to chip off. That happens with everyone's though.
You could return them if possible and go with another brand if it bothers you.
The biggest parts- the base and highback- are not painted, so you don't have to worry about those.

I do think they could have made the paint more durable though. I wonder how much more they'd cost if the parts were powder-coated instead of painted? That would last a long time.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,211
Default

I was not commenting on why the ratchet was hard to open. You made that assumption based on nothing. I was purely commenting on the ratchets ability to stay put on the ladders while riding.

When properly adjusted and used correctly you don't strip ladders with Burton or Flux ratchets. If you're maxing out the ladder and trying to choke your ankle then yes, you will strip ladders. But if you're doing that, you didn't set up your bindings right or you're in the wrong size.

Oh and good job pointing out 2 brands that you "claim" have inferior ratchets. And can you really say that they perfected their toe ratchet in year one? Cause I'm pretty sure the mechanism is the same.

You failed to explain why they aren't using a release like on the ankle either. That one seems to stay put just fine and not strip. While I've never had an issue with Burton/Flux ratchets I still prefer a 3 pin (there's isn't) like K2, Ride, and Salomon now use. It has as much power and accuracy as your beloved Unions and then also releases 10 times eaiser.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,791
Default

I haven't used all of the brands, but the best ratchets I've used were Raidens.

Burton was pretty good too. Rome's been ok so far.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JBthe3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DMV
Posts: 198
Default

In comparing my 2013 Union SL's to my 2012 Burton Cartel's ... The Unions and that toe ratchet are arguably pieces of $&@; ... But the color scheme goes perfect with my NS Cobra BIA
JBthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The straps are sick. If you can't figure out how to release them, that's not the bindings fault.

Hint: Press down, lift up. Simultaneously.
that is what i am telling people all the time,just press down a little and it is all good,are they the smoothest NOOO,but is this really a problem NOOOOO

press down and pull and all is good,have a '12 forces it was an issue for a day,and when i say an issue i mean it needed me a second more to unbuckle,just came home from the mountain and no problems what so ever!!!
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I was not commenting on why the ratchet was hard to open. You made that assumption based on nothing. I was purely commenting on the ratchets ability to stay put on the ladders while riding.

When properly adjusted and used correctly you don't strip ladders with Burton or Flux ratchets. If you're maxing out the ladder and trying to choke your ankle then yes, you will strip ladders. But if you're doing that, you didn't set up your bindings right or you're in the wrong size.

Oh and good job pointing out 2 brands that you "claim" have inferior ratchets. And can you really say that they perfected their toe ratchet in year one? Cause I'm pretty sure the mechanism is the same.

You failed to explain why they aren't using a release like on the ankle either. That one seems to stay put just fine and not strip. While I've never had an issue with Burton/Flux ratchets I still prefer a 3 pin (there's isn't) like K2, Ride, and Salomon now use. It has as much power and accuracy as your beloved Unions and then also releases 10 times eaiser.
Union isn't using the release lever on the toe ratchet as they do on the ankle because it would look retarded and it isn't necessary. Again, you just need to pull and press...no need for a lever.

Ride uses the same mechanism. They've also perfected this ratchet design. They just use a lever, which I think looks ridiculous and, again, is completely unnecessary.

10 times easier? Seriously, pull and press simultaneously. For some it may take some practice. But if you work really really hard, you will get it some day.

Last edited by Extremo; 01-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,314
Default

Union toe ratchets, same as Drake from 15 years ago. Time for a design change and progression.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 74
Default

in all honesty i think that idea is for someone that doesnt own a pair of unions and is thinking of buying them can get an idea of how they will perform...

you can argue about the toe cap(fits my ambush boots so no problem there) but to bitch about the buckle come on..great bindings...everyone def helped me way back when i was contemplating what to buy

and that what its all about helping others that didnt have a chance to own them,or else we can go on and on like should a get a burton or some other board stuff...personal preferences but the buckle is just fine
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukovi21 View Post
in all honesty i think that idea is for someone that doesnt own a pair of unions and is thinking of buying them can get an idea of how they will perform...

you can argue about the toe cap(fits my ambush boots so no problem there) but to bitch about the buckle come on..great bindings...everyone def helped me way back when i was contemplating what to buy

and that what its all about helping others that didnt have a chance to own them,or else we can go on and on like should a get a burton or some other board stuff...personal preferences but the buckle is just fine
It may be fine to some, but that has been unions number one complaint by people for seasons now. I think its just being ignorant as a company to not take that feedback.
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Union toe ratchets, same as Drake from 15 years ago. Time for a design change and progression.
Proving once again you're a dumbass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukovi21 View Post
in all honesty i think that idea is for someone that doesnt own a pair of unions and is thinking of buying them can get an idea of how they will perform...

you can argue about the toe cap(fits my ambush boots so no problem there) but to bitch about the buckle come on..great bindings...everyone def helped me way back when i was contemplating what to buy

and that what its all about helping others that didnt have a chance to own them,or else we can go on and on like should a get a burton or some other board stuff...personal preferences but the buckle is just fine
Don't fret, these two have been hardcore Union haters for years now. I always find it's funny they go ape shit over product that uses the same exact designs, yet takes any chance they get to shit on Union. You know what they say about turds of a feather...

BA use to shit all over brands back in his elsnowboardo days...he use to get flamed to shit back then, it was pretty f'n hilarious do watch him get douched on a daily basis. Which is why you shouldn't listen to gear whores when it comes to product. Listen to people who actually buy their shit. When you've got skin in the game you take the time to pay attention do good product, which is why I'm still riding Union. Some of the garbage these guys orgasm over is embarrassing to snowboarding.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums