Union Charger High Back question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Union Charger High Back question

Looking to get these for a freeride setup, but I heard the high backs don't rotate parallel to the board. I run a pretty wide angle (+21/-21). Would not orienting these particular bindings parallel matter that much?
Mel M is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Union Charger High Back question

Hate to bump my own post, but has anyone ridden these or own them. Also, does that high back really stay fixed? Wish I had some around me to check out.
Mel M is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
UNION INHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE, WA & COLICO, ITALY
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel M View Post
Hate to bump my own post, but has anyone ridden these or own them. Also, does that high back really stay fixed? Wish I had some around me to check out.
You are correct, the highbacks do not rotate on the Charger.

There is only one hole on each side, because if we were to drill 3 holes through carbon, it wouldn't be strong enough.

If you want a comparable binding with the rotation option, try the SL. The highback is very stiff.
UNION INHOUSE is offline  
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Union Charger High Back question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNION INHOUSE View Post
You are correct, the highbacks do not rotate on the Charger.

There is only one hole on each side, because if we were to drill 3 holes through carbon, it wouldn't be strong enough.

If you want a comparable binding with the rotation option, try the SL. The highback is very stiff.
Thanks! In regards to the SL. How does the highback compare to the Atlas. That is the binding I have now. I have the 2012 version Atlas. Is there also any other notable differences?
Mel M is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
UNION INHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE, WA & COLICO, ITALY
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel M View Post
Thanks! In regards to the SL. How does the highback compare to the Atlas. That is the binding I have now. I have the 2012 version Atlas. Is there also any other notable differences?
It's quite a bit more stiff. Otherwise, not a gigantic difference.
UNION INHOUSE is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Union Charger High Back question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNION INHOUSE View Post
It's quite a bit more stiff. Otherwise, not a gigantic difference.
Thanks again. Sorry, one last question, I know you mentioned the SL is comparable to the Charger, but given that there's very little torsional flex on the Charger, is it correct to assume that it would still be the more responsive binding for freeriding, even without the highback rotation.
Mel M is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
UNION INHOUSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SEATTLE, WA & COLICO, ITALY
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel M View Post
Thanks again. Sorry, one last question, I know you mentioned the SL is comparable to the Charger, but given that there's very little torsional flex on the Charger, is it correct to assume that it would still be the more responsive binding for freeriding, even without the highback rotation.
Yes, the Charger is more responsive. Depending on your stance set up, rotating your highbacks makes for less response.

Just for reference, I don't know of a single Union pro rider that rotates his/her highbacks.

We designed the Charger for Temple Cummins, to be the most responsive binding possible and win the LBS again. It worked, he did, and riders like him love the binding (all mountain rippers).
UNION INHOUSE is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNION INHOUSE View Post
Yes, the Charger is more responsive. Depending on your stance set up, rotating your highbacks makes for less response.

Just for reference, I don't know of a single Union pro rider that rotates his/her highbacks.

We designed the Charger for Temple Cummins, to be the most responsive binding possible and win the LBS again. It worked, he did, and riders like him love the binding (all mountain rippers).
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! This really helped my decision making process.
Mel M is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so what did you decide to go with mel
tbymto is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went with the SL because the Charger in M/L is largely MIA except for a few online retailers, but I'm only comfortable ordering from a few such as EVO. I really wanted a stiff binding as possible to complement my Raptor and Salomon Synapse setup.

There was also a considerable discount, ~10%-15% I believe, due to end of season sales, so I jumped on it. I do not know of a single local store in PA/NJ that carries the Charger.

My situation is unique because a friend of mine was looking for a binding, but can't quite afford a decent one right now for financial reasons. I told him I'll try out this binding and if I don't like it, I'll sell it to him for an even hundred bucks and keep an eye out for the Chargers next year. My first day on the mountain with my new setup is tomorrow, so I can leave my impressions here if you want.

I'm not sure if it was a limited production run or the Chargers sold out like crazy super quick, because they were even hard to find in the beginning of the season. I hope Union makes more available for the following year.
Mel M is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome