Choosing b/w Cartels/Union SL's/ Ride Maestro - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The SL's don't have canting. That's the only drawback.

As far as riding goes, I suffered a bone contusion the almost sidelined me for the season last year. My doc said no jumping so I ended up just charging the rest of the mountain which is what led me to buy these. I didn't end up riding them in the park until this year and fell love with them even more. A few clicks of forward lean and they can charge anywhere. Run the highbacks straight up and they're the perfect park binding.

I really wish they had canting though.
Correct me if I'm wrong extremo but isn't the new Union Factory binding for 2014 basically the SL with canting added?
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong extremo but isn't the new Union Factory binding for 2014 basically the SL with canting added?
And without the asymmetric highback. But the team highback seemed to be more popular this year anyways so it may be a good upgrade.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The SL's don't have canting. That's the only drawback.

I really wish they had canting though.
My previous bindings are like 7 years old and have zero bells and whistles, but canting seems to be something that I may not regret now but down the road will be kicking myself for overlooking. Am I correct to hold canting in the " make or break" category in looking for a purchase? I have herd a lot of people rave about them, and had a chance to ride them for a day when I tried the Maestro's and felt like I could run a marathon after an 8 hour day of boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The Phantoms are just bomb bindings. The metal baseplate isn't too stiff. The assym ankle straps feel like Burton and Unions. The toe strap is solid and responsive. The highback is stiff but shaped to allow lateral flex.
These also don't have canting as i can tell but for 200 bucks I would me more inclined to overlook this as they are definitely affordable. These may even be a great upgrade for my secondary Salomon deck. But I gotta look for my DH2 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100
Correct me if I'm wrong extremo but isn't the new Union Factory binding for 2014 basically the SL with canting added?
These obviously aren't going to available for another 6 or so months correct since they are gonna drop right before the new year?
DrEwTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 485
Default

You're correct about Raiden bindings not having canted footbeds. I think it differs between people, but personally I didn't notice any pros or cons with the canted beds when I used the wedgie on my deltas. Unless you have pain from stress in your knees, I think you'll be fine without canting. My Raiden bindings are much more comfortable than my Ride's were (it might differ by model though). I feel like the ankle and toe straps are much more comfortable and the highback has a more "natural shape" (couldn't even fold the highback all the way down on the Ride bindings because they were too wide at the end). All this is just my opinion though. Other people might have different experiences.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEwTiMe View Post
My previous bindings are like 7 years old and have zero bells and whistles, but canting seems to be something that I may not regret now but down the road will be kicking myself for overlooking. Am I correct to hold canting in the " make or break" category in looking for a purchase? I have herd a lot of people rave about them, and had a chance to ride them for a day when I tried the Maestro's and felt like I could run a marathon after an 8 hour day of boarding.



These also don't have canting as i can tell but for 200 bucks I would me more inclined to overlook this as they are definitely affordable. These may even be a great upgrade for my secondary Salomon deck. But I gotta look for my DH2 for now



These obviously aren't going to available for another 6 or so months correct since they are gonna drop right before the new year?
I really don't care about canting. Maybe the 3.5 degree beds are noticable but I run a 24.75-25 inch stance and no amount of canting I've tried has been noticable to me. But I've only tried canted bindings, I've never owned one. Maybe if I had ridden one full time and went to a 0 cant I'd notice. Who knows but it's not make or break for me.

Honestly the Phantoms are a really good binding. Flex, Ankle strap and highbacks are make or break for me and I'd say they're good in all 3. One thing I don't like about them is their dampening system is air bag and they blow out as the plastic breaks down.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I really don't care about canting.
Honestly the Phantoms are a really good binding. Flex, Ankle strap and highbacks are make or break for me and I'd say they're good in all 3. One thing I don't like about them is their dampening system is air bag and they blow out as the plastic breaks down.
Haha didn't you just say before that you really wished the Unions had canting? I would think for a rider like yourself with previous injuries that the canting would help relieve the lower body stress for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
My Raiden bindings are much more comfortable than my Ride's were (it might differ by model though). I feel like the ankle and toe straps are much more comfortable and the highback has a more "natural shape" (couldn't even fold the highback all the way down on the Ride bindings because they were too wide at the end).
Do you happen to remember what model and year bindings your Ride bindings were?

So the gist of most of your posts are telling me to scrap all 3 of my choices and go with the phantoms isn't it? I would be all in for them except the fact that they are air bags scares me. Being that the last time before now I was able to financially afford bindings was like 7 years ago I need something thats gonna last!! I can't imagine riding those bindings anymore if one binding had blown out bags and the other didn't

Last edited by DrEwTiMe; 02-13-2013 at 12:40 AM.
DrEwTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:

So the gist of most of your posts are telling me to scrap all 3 of my choices and go with the phantoms isn't it? haha
haha no not at all. im just saying some of the stuff that i noticed with my stuff that you can take into consideration. my ride bindings were 2011 delta mvmnt bindings (the last year they were made. i think the rodeos replaced them or something). the ankle strap wasn't all the comfortable. the toe strap was pretty good but the webbing would begin to break little by little and the strap holding the toe strap in place began to strip (i did buy them used). the highback felt fine while riding but was awkward to fold down. and although i didn't notice much difference with the canting, the wedgie footbed has pretty thick padding which is nice.

i've used two pairs of union bindings, both brand new (2011 DLX and 2012 Contact Pro) and i really loved them. the footbed padding was similar to raiden's padding except for no "airbag." the ankle straps were really nice. the toe straps were similar to raiden's. id say raiden's conform to boot shape a bit better but the unions are thicker and seem a bit more durable. i like both highbacks.

i can't really compare the bindings you selected since i haven't used them, but these are just some of my thoughts on bindings ive owned by the same brand. it's different with everybody but personally id rank the bindings 1) phantoms, 2) SLs, 3) cartels, and 4) maestros. im sure they're all very good bindings though.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEwTiMe View Post
Haha didn't you just say before that you really wished the Unions had canting? I would think for a rider like yourself with previous injuries that the canting would help relieve the lower body stress for you.

Oh I def wish they did. It something all bindings should prob have. But it's def not a deal breaker.

It's like boots that ergonomically lean inward. Not all boots do, and it's not something you really notice, but you might if you came from a boot that did to a boot that didn't. It's just something you'd think all boots would incorporate into the design.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
i can't really compare the bindings you selected since i haven't used them, but these are just some of my thoughts on bindings ive owned by the same brand. it's different with everybody but personally id rank the bindings 1) phantoms, 2) SLs, 3) cartels, and 4) maestros. im sure they're all very good bindings though.
Although the movements were a little toward the lower end the Maestros have the same "webbing" on the to strap and I could definitely see that as being a weak area for wear and tare, I did notice a little bit to the chewing on the toe strap but like I said before my boot in the Medium Maestro couldn't be a worse fit if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Oh I def wish they did. It something all bindings should prob have. But it's def not a deal breaker.

It's like boots that ergonomically lean inward. Not all boots do, and it's not something you really notice, but you might if you came from a boot that did to a boot that didn't. It's just something you'd think all boots would incorporate into the design.
I see your point. At this point it looks like the most sensible purchase would be to check out the SL's. I would go phantoms but I don't' feel like dealing with the airbag issue and cartels are out becauseI like my boots to remain intact. Not to mention they match perfectly with the color scheme of my board which is always a plus lol.

Extermo- what size boot are you? Im currently in a 9.5 boot and see the size goes to 10 for the M/L and the L/XL starts from 9.5 -14...Any advice as to what would be best to go with. Im gonna try to find a physical location to bring my boot in but if i can't find one I'd rather not take a shot in the dar.
DrEwTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 495
Default

I'll throw another option out there for you to consider: the K2 company. Probably will be my next binding. Med-stiff, canted, and has K2's harshmellow cushioning/dampening tech. All tool-less. Gets good reviews. No problems with straps or ratchets. Would be a good fit for your DH2.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums