Union Atlas vs SL cap strap - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Default Union Atlas vs SL cap strap

Why is it my 11-12 Union SL fit perfect in cap strap position but my same year Union Atlas don't? I guess I should change the straps completely.
tonyisnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisnowhere View Post
Why is it my 11-12 Union SL fit perfect in cap strap position but my same year Union Atlas don't? I guess I should change the straps completely.
First, make sure your straps are in the right slots. They should be in the second slot, the ones furthest away from the toe.

The SL straps are leather and conform to the boot easier. The Atlas straps are made with something else. Its a little more rigid and doesn't let the strap conform as easy to the boot. I found it gets more broken in and takes the shape of your boot the more you use them. But yeah, the SL straps are the shit.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
First, make sure your straps are in the right slots. They should be in the second slot, the ones furthest away from the toe.

The SL straps are leather and conform to the boot easier. The Atlas straps are made with something else. Its a little more rigid and doesn't let the strap conform as easy to the boot. I found it gets more broken in and takes the shape of your boot the more you use them. But yeah, the SL straps are the shit.
dude thank you so much I was going crazy. Yeah I do have them in the right slots but thanks for checking. I had Union send me another set for the Atlas thinking that would solve it. I even took both the SL and Atlas straps off to compare size. Maybe the answer is to get a set of SL straps to get them fitting faster.
Thanks again!
tonyisnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Remove both toe straps and screw the SL toe straps onto your Altlas binsings. Try it then, that way you'll know for sure what the problem is.

It sounds like it might just be the material like Extremo said, but you can check by doing this.

If the new Atlas toe straps you sent for don't solve the problem, just put the SL straps on whichever bindings you plan on using for a day.
If the thread lock wears off the off the screws from doing this often you can always get some more really cheap from a hardware store. I personally use thread tape because it's easer to remove when old and easier to reapply.
__________________
This is a tasty burger.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
Remove both toe straps and screw the SL toe straps onto your Altlas binsings. Try it then, that way you'll know for sure what the problem is.

It sounds like it might just be the material like Extremo said, but you can check by doing this.

If the new Atlas toe straps you sent for don't solve the problem, just put the SL straps on whichever bindings you plan on using for a day.
If the thread lock wears off the off the screws from doing this often you can always get some more really cheap from a hardware store. I personally use thread tape because it's easer to remove when old and easier to reapply.
Thanks for the advice but I don't want to switch them out because I want to be able to take both boards to the mountain already set up. One is a rocker for playful ride the other is a hard charging/ carving camber. I am going to stretch them out overnight. I think once the fabric looses it will be better. Otherwise I will get some SL straps for the Atlas.
tonyisnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisnowhere View Post
I am going to stretch them out overnight. I think once the fabric looses it will be better. Otherwise I will get some SL straps for the Atlas.
Good luck with that! :

The thing is with Union straps is that the DuPont resin goes all the way through the interior of the straps and directly connects the ratchet to the length adjuster. This design was to prevent stretching of straps over time, like you get with other brands that only have the strap padding between the 2 connection points.

So you can't stretch them. I would just get another set of SL straps or go with the switching option. If you tell C3 about the issue they should send you a pair without a problem!
__________________
This is a tasty burger.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
Good luck with that! :

The thing is with Union straps is that the DuPont resin goes all the way through the interior of the straps and directly connects the ratchet to the length adjuster. This design was to prevent stretching of straps over time, like you get with other brands that only have the strap padding between the 2 connection points.

So you can't stretch them. I would just get another set of SL straps or go with the switching option. If you tell C3 about the issue they should send you a pair without a problem!
You clearly have no idea what we are talking about. Both straps use the same design. The SL is just wraped in leather, which is softer and allows the front lip of the strap to conform in a capped position over the boot right out of the box. The Atlas uses a stiffer wrapped material that keeps the lip of the strap from taking the shape of the boot. As this strap is tightened, ridden, and released it softens up and will thus begin to act the same way as the identically shaped SL strap. Get it?
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
You clearly have no idea what we are talking about. Both straps use the same design. The SL is just wraped in leather, which is softer and allows the front lip of the strap to conform in a capped position over the boot right out of the box. The Atlas uses a stiffer wrapped material that keeps the lip of the strap from taking the shape of the boot. As this strap is tightened, ridden, and released it softens up and will thus begin to act the same way as the identically shaped SL strap. Get it?
My bad. When he said he was going to stretch them it sounded like he meant the whole strap.
If it was just the outer material like you said, than it might work.
__________________
This is a tasty burger.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 218
Default

Hey all. Just an update. I noticed a good change in the material after leaving them ratcheted on to the max all night with a pair of boots. I just released them and re-strapped them to the boots and I should see some good improvement. Thanks all for your help. My SLs just fit perfect the first time so I guess I got worried after seeing the material sticking out. Tomorrow I finally get to ride these Atlas!
tonyisnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyisnowhere View Post
Hey all. Just an update. I noticed a good change in the material after leaving them ratcheted on to the max all night with a pair of boots. I just released them and re-strapped them to the boots and I should see some good improvement. Thanks all for your help. My SLs just fit perfect the first time so I guess I got worried after seeing the material sticking out. Tomorrow I finally get to ride these Atlas!
Glad to see they worked out for you. Have fun with em!
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums