Advantages of rear entry bindings - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default Advantages of rear entry bindings

I've been kicking around the idea of getting flow nx2-se's and besides the convenience/speed of them being rear entry, which is not a bad thing, what are the real advantages they would have over side entry bindings? The closest resort to me is about 2 hours away, so when I go I'm usually on the hill from open to close for the entire weekend. During the end of each day, I would love to just step in, lock up, and go! I've narrowed it down to nx2-se's & malavitas, but my LBS does not carry flow, so no hands on comparisons. The malavitas reputation kind of speaks for its self. So, what are the pros and cons of the two?
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Default Advantages of rear entry bindings

For me, it's the speed and consistent fit every time you strap in. Allows me to keep up with my skier buddy who forgets that I have to strap in after the lift.

I also got into the habit of sitting down to do my straps. Now its impossible with Flows. No more wet behind.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New hampshire
Posts: 84
Default

with rear entry's I really do think you lose performance. Its not a perfect fit everytime. i feel like with traditional bindings you naturally ratchet them tighter or looser depending on what your doing, and you can always just do one or two more ratchets if need be.

my opinion?

if ease of entry is a big thing for you, the new flow lineup is pretty beast.

if you want a great performing binding, definitive to a style (eg park, freeride, etc) traditional systems cant be beeat.
liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
Default

^ Totally agree.
Ive had rear entry bindings and went back to traditional bindings because its just so much easier to get a really good and tight fit, or run loose if you want that.
Nerozor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner View Post
if ease of entry is a big thing for you, the new flow lineup is pretty beast.
It's not really a big thing. It's a cool convenience when you're out all day, but besides that......are there really any real advantages?
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bamfb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash77 View Post
It's not really a big thing. It's a cool convenience when you're out all day, but besides that......are there really any real advantages?
That right there is the advantage of rear entry. I always liked the contraband for similar reasons (and low profile). Unhappy about discontinuation.
bamfb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfb2 View Post
That right there is the advantage of rear entry. I always liked the contraband for similar reasons (and low profile). Unhappy about discontinuation.
I figured as much. So, it boils down to what most things do...personal preference.
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,594
Blog Entries: 217
Default

I own Flow NXT-ATs and Rome 390s. I use the Flows, and the Romes are gathering dust. That's dependant on my local mountain and my riding style as much as the bindings themselves.

Rear entry bindings suck to get into in deep powder, because you tend to just force the snow into the boot area then compress it while trying to close the binding. They also suck to get into on the side of a significant slope, because you have to face uphill to strap in. However, for normal off-the-lift situations they can't be beat. I can literally kick in while skating from the lift to the beginning of the run. Where this matters most is when you're coming off the first chair with 3 other people and the fresh snow is waiting for the first person onto the run (I've been there more than once).

I can also unstrap without stopping when I come to a point where I need to skate (like coming out of Brockton Bowl onto Manning), then strap back in again without stopping at the end of the flat. So I guess it's a question of how much that matters to you.

As to any loss of control, if there's a difference it's not enough to make your eyebrows go up. Not like the difference between a camber and rocker board, for instance.

As to getting the bindings adjusted properly, I had a lot of trouble with my first pair of Fives because I wanted them tighter than they're supposed to be. Once I got over that, things went much better.

It really comes down to personal preference. Some people try them and go back to traditional bucklers, some people stick with them. Same as with rocker/camber, boa/lace, paper/plastic...
__________________

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ksup3erb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 307
Default Advantages of rear entry bindings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
I own Flow NXT-ATs and Rome 390s. I use the Flows, and the Romes are gathering dust. That's dependant on my local mountain and my riding style as much as the bindings themselves.

Rear entry bindings suck to get into in deep powder, because you tend to just force the snow into the boot area then compress it while trying to close the binding. They also suck to get into on the side of a significant slope, because you have to face uphill to strap in. However, for normal off-the-lift situations they can't be beat. I can literally kick in while skating from the lift to the beginning of the run. Where this matters most is when you're coming off the first chair with 3 other people and the fresh snow is waiting for the first person onto the run (I've been there more than once).

I can also unstrap without stopping when I come to a point where I need to skate (like coming out of Brockton Bowl onto Manning), then strap back in again without stopping at the end of the flat. So I guess it's a question of how much that matters to you.

As to any loss of control, if there's a difference it's not enough to make your eyebrows go up. Not like the difference between a camber and rocker board, for instance.

As to getting the bindings adjusted properly, I had a lot of trouble with my first pair of Fives because I wanted them tighter than they're supposed to be. Once I got over that, things went much better.

It really comes down to personal preference. Some people try them and go back to traditional bucklers, some people stick with them. Same as with rocker/camber, boa/lace, paper/plastic...
Same. My Rome 390 Bosses haven't even been mounted since I got flows.

If you're the type that likes to fiddle with strap tightness then you won't get that with flows. Personally I like to set it and forget it. Flow gives me that convenience.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
crash77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
It really comes down to personal preference. Some people try them and go back to traditional bucklers, some people stick with them. Same as with rocker/camber, boa/lace, paper/plastic...
I figured this much. So, I guess my next step is to sell both sets of my current bindings, purchase malavita's and nx2-se's, pair them up with the evo 4.0 and either sell my least favorite pair or keep both.
Mo' money mo' money mo' money!

I really have a love/hate relationship with this sport.
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums