Canting and Binding Performance Issues - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cyfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
You might wanna try running the straps in the upper position as well. Rome claims that's the more responsive one, so it can't hurt I suppose. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. It could be the forward lean too. I've got mine cranked, partially for fit purposes, and partially for performance purposes. My guess on the Unions is that they are just going to cant the footbed, and not mess with the baseplate dampening. That way you get the comfort of the cant, but still get the board feel Union is known for.
I guess giving it a try can't hurt too much. Never ran my straps that high before, since this is my normal park board. Maybe I'll toss them back on my TRS for one more shot. Idk, just feel like I've been tweaking on these bindings for way too long now.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,766
Default

TT had ur answer methinks.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,066
Default

Canting is more a comfort issue.

Forward lean is a performance issue.

Washing out carves & no heel hold. Would fall into the latter.

If you've been boardin' for 12+ years, you should know this

The second I step on a board, that's the first thing I notice.

You never hop on strange board & do a toe carve first.
You do a heel side carve, that's your power move.
Right then you should know if it's too far or not enough.

In 1 carve, that's all it should take.
If you have no heel hold, that's the problem, nothing else.

You can monkey around with the straps, the canting, even draw flowers on it.
If that's what makes you comfy

But if you want to be able to cut someone in half with a heel side carve?

Do what the fuck I'm tellin' you to do!!!



TT
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cyfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Canting is more a comfort issue.

Forward lean is a performance issue.

Washing out carves & no heel hold. Would fall into the latter.

If you've been boardin' for 12+ years, you should know this

The second I step on a board, that's the first thing I notice.

You never hop on strange board & do a toe carve first.
You do a heel side carve, that's your power move.
Right then you should know if it's too far or not enough.

In 1 carve, that's all it should take.
If you have no heel hold, that's the problem, nothing else.

You can monkey around with the straps, the canting, even draw flowers on it.
If that's what makes you comfy

But if you want to be able to cut someone in half with a heel side carve?

Do what the fuck I'm tellin' you to do!!!



TT
I hear what you're saying and trust me I've already been riding these with more forward lean than I've ever run on a binding before (4 clicks is monsterous) but what I'm feeling is like me feet are NOT center in the board. Like the sole length is way off but it's not. Almost like when the board is one heel side in steeps that its going to flop onto the toe side in a moments notice. Hooking the down hill edge and wham, instant scorpion in steep terrain. It's not a comfortable feeling in the least bit. This is where I get zero confidence on the bindings from.

Yesterday I ran the Rome's all day and had this problem. Felt like the heel edge was going to fold any minute. Same board (riding it for three years), same boots (broken in and a season old), same exact runs today, different bindings and everything is fine. This is the problem I'm having.

I've worked in a shop, assembled countless setups, do my own tuning, tweak my own settings. I've been riding for over 12 years, countless boards, boots, and bindings. When ever I have felt this feeling it's almost ALWAYS the boot is not center on the bindings. But this time it's not it. I set it up properly and read the paperwork that comes with the bindings multiple times. I've even had three friends check the setup to make sure I didn't fuck up. And in the end nothing appears wrong. Thus is my first setup with canted bindings and for the life of me I feel like its an error in setup I'm missing. I'm not blaming Rome, and I'm not saying the bindings suck. Just looking to see if anyone else has had an issue like this at all and find a way to fix it, or a suggestion that might lead to my error.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfer View Post
Saw them but I'm wondering in order to build up the canting they will thicken the base plate padding which will result in the same feel as the 390's. I might give these one more shot and crank up the forward lean to ridiculous and see if that helps. But I'd swear the sole length feels wrong but it's set to Rome's specs. I wish they had more adjustment options for that like Union does.
I don't really see how the Unions have more adjustment options than Rome bindings - if anything the 390 Bosses have more adjustments, with choice of baseplate length, almost infinite adjustability of the footbed length, and different ankle strap positions (which the Unions do not have).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfer View Post
I hear what you're saying and trust me I've already been riding these with more forward lean than I've ever run on a binding before (4 clicks is monsterous) but what I'm feeling is like me feet are NOT center in the board. Like the sole length is way off but it's not. Almost like when the board is one heel side in steeps that its going to flop onto the toe side in a moments notice. Hooking the down hill edge and wham, instant scorpion in steep terrain. It's not a comfortable feeling in the least bit. This is where I get zero confidence on the bindings from.

Yesterday I ran the Rome's all day and had this problem. Felt like the heel edge was going to fold any minute. Same board (riding it for three years), same boots (broken in and a season old), same exact runs today, different bindings and everything is fine. This is the problem I'm having.

I've worked in a shop, assembled countless setups, do my own tuning, tweak my own settings. I've been riding for over 12 years, countless boards, boots, and bindings. When ever I have felt this feeling it's almost ALWAYS the boot is not center on the bindings. But this time it's not it. I set it up properly and read the paperwork that comes with the bindings multiple times. I've even had three friends check the setup to make sure I didn't fuck up. And in the end nothing appears wrong. Thus is my first setup with canted bindings and for the life of me I feel like its an error in setup I'm missing. I'm not blaming Rome, and I'm not saying the bindings suck. Just looking to see if anyone else has had an issue like this at all and find a way to fix it, or a suggestion that might lead to my error.
Pictures might help.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,066
Default

So they are cranked & you feel like your gonna catch your toeside edge & eat shit scorpio style?

If that is what's going on? I'd say
Maybe there's a crack somewhere?
When no or very little pressure is applied to them, they would feel cranked forward, but when you actually apply the force it takes to do a hard carve, they loose all rigidity?

I can't even remember what binding were talking about here, but is it possible that it's supposed to be a noodle?

Urethane highbacks?
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 375
Default

@Cypher - I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I have the 2011-2012 390 Bosses, size L/XL. I'm wearing 9.5 boots.

I too have also set the straps to the most "responsive" settings. Forward lean is clicked about 3 notches...

My heel side carves have always felt a bit wonky with the 390 Bosses, but nothing that bothers me a ton. Its always easier to rail a toe side carve right?

Do you think it would be a problem with the highback rotation? I set mine (as I've read on the forums and the instruction booklet) to be parallel to my edge. With a +15/-15 angle set up, I think I set the highback rotation to a 4 or 8 degree angle (per the booklet).

Would adjusting the highbacks to be more in line with the actual angle of the binding help? Spitballing here.
sheepstealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cyfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
@Cypher - I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I have the 2011-2012 390 Bosses, size L/XL. I'm wearing 9.5 boots.

I too have also set the straps to the most "responsive" settings. Forward lean is clicked about 3 notches...

My heel side carves have always felt a bit wonky with the 390 Bosses, but nothing that bothers me a ton. Its always easier to rail a toe side carve right?

Do you think it would be a problem with the highback rotation? I set mine (as I've read on the forums and the instruction booklet) to be parallel to my edge. With a +15/-15 angle set up, I think I set the highback rotation to a 4 or 8 degree angle (per the booklet).

Would adjusting the highbacks to be more in line with the actual angle of the binding help? Spitballing here.
Actually I was thinking that today too. I placed my boots into the bindings today and noticed that with the rotation they are not lined up at all with the rear back stay of the boots. Then I read online that the high backs of the 390 Boss are canted slightly to the inside. So I reset the bindings with out any rotation at all, three clicks of forward lean, at a 12 front foot, -12 rear foot, straps currently at; toe straps set to the rearward position, ankle straps in the middle position. turned out the high backs lined up much better even using the 3.5 degree canted foot beds. I might try riding them this weekend on my Skate Banana at the same mountian again like this. The rotation was slight but enough that the screw to the straps had slightly scratched the high backs. Seems I might not need any high back rotation when using these particular bindings. I'm going to finish setting these up today or tomorrow sometime and pist pics. Then ride them and post again to let everyone know if it helps.

Any other suggestions for the setup would help too, hoping this fixes the problem.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cyfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Here is a few pics of the current setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (109.0 KB, 103 views)
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums