Beginner in need of some help. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
etniesbmx1

Default Beginner in need of some help.

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to snowboarding, I've probably been like 5-6 times in a span of 3 years. Each time I've went I had a blast, but I just don't really get out to the hill enough. I'm thinking that if I were to buy my own board then that would motivate me to get out a little more haha.

Basically I have no clue what to even look for. Boots, bindings, board, etc. Haha I'm about 5'10-5'11 and I weigh 140lbs,and I have a size 12 shoe so I'm not sure if I'd need a wider board or what haha. Any help would seriously be appreciated guys, and gals!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
alf

I'll throw in a couple cents..

If you end up with size 12 boots (you might not -- lots of people wear regular shoes bigger than the proper fit for boots) then you're looking at wide boards. Or at least "mid-wide". At 140lb, you probably want the smallest of whatever sizes are offered for a wide board. That's usually 155cm give or take 1.

Figure out your boots first! If it turns out that you have to spend a lot for a pair that's comfortable, then you know to spend less on the board/bindings. You're going to notice comfy, good fitting (equals better control) boots more than you'll notice the other gear. Remember that the padding will compress after a while, so they should be pretty snug when you're buying them.

Somebody else will comment on beginner boards -- I don't really know what to recommend there..

edit: Oh yeah, if you buy from a shop, make sure they take your weight into consideration when they tell you what size board to get. If they just look at your height, they're gonna give you one that's too big
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
etniesbmx1

Aight man that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply.

I plan on buying online I'm thinking though. More selection and there really isnt a shop close to me.

Oh! And since I'm buying online, I'm probably screwed when it comes to finding good boots eh?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by etniesbmx1 View Post
Oh! And since I'm buying online, I'm probably screwed when it comes to finding good boots eh?
Honestly, pretty much yeah. If you can find your way to a shop for the boots, it'll be better. No reason not to buy the board and bindings online though.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
etniesbmx1

Aight man thanks for the tips. Seriously appreciated!

Anyone got any ideas for board,bindings?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
PopN

Well, since you're just starting out you probably won't be hitting the park much, or at all so you're probably not really going to need a shorter board, so I might go with something in the 155cm area... My friend who's just starting out has a Burton Clash that I've used a few times and that's always seemed to be a pretty nice, well rounded board that comes fairly cheap as well. I think it's a mid-wide, too. Not 100% sure, though.

I used a Burton Custom binding for a while, too and it's just something I've always liked.

Then boots are really a personal choice that I've never really had a lot of luck gauging over the internet, so like Alf said if you can get to a boardshop to find a nice comfy pair of boots, you'll be good.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
SublimE

were do you live man? i bet there is a place by you, you just dont know it.

most important items. (imo)
1. Boots ( if your feet hurt or your not getting the response you want, or your back hurts or your feet are cold you are NOT going to want to board at all

2. Board. without a board suitable for your ridding you wont have fun. however your a beginner who does not go a lot so you do not need a huge fancy techy board. get a cheap good quality board.

3. goggles.if you cant see, you cant snowboard.

but seriously were do you live i bet i can find a place that could help you with boots (most places can order and will order any boot for you free of charge if you really honestly like a boot and are considering buying them)
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
justBINDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by etniesbmx1 View Post
Hey guys. I'm fairly new to snowboarding, I've probably been like 5-6 times in a span of 3 years. Each time I've went I had a blast, but I just don't really get out to the hill enough. I'm thinking that if I were to buy my own board then that would motivate me to get out a little more haha.

Basically I have no clue what to even look for. Boots, bindings, board, etc. Haha I'm about 5'10-5'11 and I weigh 140lbs,and I have a size 12 shoe so I'm not sure if I'd need a wider board or what haha. Any help would seriously be appreciated guys, and gals!

Thanks in advance.
Since you are kinda new to snowboarding, i will try and refer you to some "mid-grade" items.
So you dont have to spend alot of money for something you do very little.

First off:
Since your boot-size is right on the border of a Regular board and Wide board.
I would recomend a wide board so you can "grow into it"

Boots:
For your boots. I would look into something a year or two back. Like the 2006 Burton Freestyle boots. Very comfortable boots and can last your a couple years.

Bindings:
I prefer the 2009 Burton Custom Bindigs. Yes, they sound fancy knowing that there 2009. BUTTTT!
They are actually really cheap for bindings. Only 100 dollars. And very good bindings!

Board:
Rome Anthem Snowboard | SaltyPeaks.com
Recomend that board ^^^^^^
Its on sale and will fit your boot size perfectly.
If your almost 6 foot. I would get the 156 size board. Maybe push into the 159 if you wanna grow into it..

I hope i gave you a few selections and ideas for your up-coming snowboarding "set-up"

Last edited by justBINDER; 12-14-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Spelling errors and forgot something
Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
etniesbmx1

Deadly. Thanks for all the info guys, definitely is helping!

I'm planning on getting out as much as I can guys, the only thing that was really stopping me last season was the insane rental costs. It adds up like crazy! haha. So with my own board setup and everything it'll make things quite a bit easier on the wallet. I know I'll have the basics down quite quickly, every other time I went I would be keeping up with my buddies that snowboard frequently, sort of haha. So basically, near the end of the season I want to be hitting the park, and I think a lot of my practice time (season-round) is going to come from setting little kickers and boxes up on the little hills around town. (I snowskated a bit a year or so ago, theres my influence haha)

I live in small town Alberta, we do infact have a shop, they're rediculously overpriced from what I've been told. Theres nothing stopping me from finding a pair of boots in person then just ordering online though! Goggles are a very good idea too! Never thought of that, possibley also a helmet. I imagine I'm going to have some pretty sweet bails haha.

Thank you justBINDER, I'll definitely look into said items! I don't really have a problem buying all new stuff though man. Money is an issue, but not a huge one. I'm thinking of this as more of an investment, it'll pay off with time. Haha.

Keep the comments coming. I'm getting stoked!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
SublimE

Alberta Canada?