Yet another newbie "set me up" thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yet another newbie "set me up" thread

Here's the (sort of long) back story.

I am switching to snowboarding from skiing for knee-related reasons (not ligament tears, cartilage and alignment problems). I've had several surgeries, including two major ones, over the last 2+ years. I have now gotten the go-ahead from my doc to do anything that doesn't hurt, and I think I can get away with snowboarding pain-free (I'm going out with a rental board next weekend, weather permitting).

I've already taken the advice of getting boots first. I bought some 08 K2 T1s (with boa) on closeout, and I think I did well for the money.

I will ride regular, and my left knee is the bad one (front leg), for what that's worth.

So, recommendations for a board and bindings.

I'm 28. I wear size 10 boots. I'm 5'9". I weigh 205 or so now, but I would not consider that my fighting weight as the last two years have brought much inactivity and therefore weight gain. I'm in the gym 6 days a week now and will feel much more myself at ~175. I'm aware that I should buy a board that works for me now but I'd like to get something that will work for a few seasons anyways.

I live in interior Alaska. My riding preferences will be solidly all mountain with a heavy bias towards backcountry/freeriding when my skills progress. The folks I will be going with will mostly be skiing, my knees won't like jumping off of shit all day (although I won't be able to resist once in a while), and let's face facts, I live in Alaska. There may be a time when I eventually venture into the park but I don't ever plan on spending lots of time there.

Bear in mind that I am still regaining my strength and balance, but that when 100% I consider myself a good athlete and a fast learner.

I'd love to hear what you all suggest and why. Thanks.
jracette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
steiner

check this thread (here)
Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

So, uh... Burton Custom? Rome Anthem? Arbor Element? In 158?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want to ride backcountry at 205 pounds, you're going to want a lot bigger than a 158. I'm 180 and I ride a 158 on groomers. My deep powder board is 165. You might want to go mid 160's as well.

And about the boards, I have a Rome Anthem and it's wonderful. But my Rome Design does a lot better in deep deep snow.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
If you want to ride backcountry at 205 pounds, you're going to want a lot bigger than a 158. I'm 180 and I ride a 158 on groomers. My deep powder board is 165. You might want to go mid 160's as well.

And about the boards, I have a Rome Anthem and it's wonderful. But my Rome Design does a lot better in deep deep snow.
OK, I thought maybe I would have to go bigger.

Is there any other tradeoff between the Design and the Anthem besides performance in deep powder?

The Burton ICS system is attractive to me because I like the idea of that level of microadjustability, for knee-related reasons. Is this a valid consideration or am I crazy?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Anthem is more of a terrain board. It's great on groomers, but it wasn't that great in deep snow. Granted, mine is an 04 so I'm sure things have changed since then, but my Anthem is about twice as heavy even though is isn't as big.

But the Design is made for the mountain. When I switched, the difference was night and day. The Anthem dug into the powder and stuck, but the Design floats on top. And if it does go under, I can just lean back a bit and it pops to the surface.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote