Complete Noob Here - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Complete Noob Here

Howddy folks!

Figured I'd throw myself out there this winter and try something new, so my buddy and I are going to start boarding!
My biggest question on getting started (past boots) is what type of board should I get as a complete beginner? Going off charts and everything else I've looked into (minimally) I'd fit between a 155-160 long. I have a pair of sz 10 Burton Jet boots (not sure how relevant that may or may not be.) I figure that if I go at least 5 times this year as a minimum, I'll rack up $100 in rental alone for a board, so getting a used board isn't a complete waste of money in any way.

Can someone with better knowledge than me lend a hand (or a board!) ?
GuelphNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

You might be able to find a half decent used board for $100, but consider this. If you try snowboarding and hate it? (...might seem unlikely, but it happens.) Then several hundred dollars for boots & board? Now that's a waste of money.

I suggest that first you go and take a lesson, (or several) with some rented or borrowed gear! If you love it? That will be the time to spend some coin on the good stuff! (...and you will spend some coin!!!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

So stoked that you are getting into it!

Since you already have boots, you can do this very inexpensively and get amazing gear. The best way to insure that you are going to love boarding is to get gear that is not only well sized for your specifics but also that is well set up. Equally important is that the next time you go ride, you get on the same, equally awesome, correctly set up gear. That way you are not learning/adjusting to the gear each time you go but rather are focusing all of your efforts on riding...as it should be.

Please post up your weight an foot size and we will be happy to get you some solid suggestions.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

My boots are actually 10.5, and I'm 5'11 165lbs-ish.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Got it. It is actually your foot size (not your boot size) which matters.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphNoob View Post
Can someone with better knowledge than me lend a hand (or a board!) ?
Where you planning on trying it? Glen Eden has a noob package for $50 including rentals, lessons, and a beginner lift ticket. Blue has a similar package for $80 or so. This can be cheaper than lift tickets alone on regular days.

I strongly suggest these types of deals. They're meant to give you a good taste of the sport without costing you much, so take advantage of them!

Discover Skiing and Snowboarding - Glen Eden - Skiing and Snowboarding - Kelso Conservation Area

Ski & Snowboard Lessons | Winter Adventure | Snow School |Blue Mountain Resort, Ontario
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's actually very confusing. It's implied that the boot size or shoe size is the size of your foot. Don't make up stuff, plz. Boot size is foot size!

I hear many silly things when I got started and shopped for snowboard boots online and B&M stores. They say, your shoe size is not the same as snowboard boots. That's true but you have to read between the lines. If you like to wear your tennis shoe loose, then no, your tennis shoe is not equal to snowboard boots. If you have a properly fitted shoe for running or long distance walking, that's your foot size!

Just to make it simple, snowboard boots sizing are designed like tennis or running shoes. If one brand or model isn't right, it's the QC problem of that company, not the human's foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Got it. It is actually your foot size (not your boot size) which matters.

Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Trey,

Thanks for your comment.

The important measurement in terms of determining correct board size (width) is foot length. This is how boards are designed. Boot size varies greatly by manufacturer and by rider fit preference.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
That's actually very confusing. It's implied that the boot size or shoe size is the size of your foot. Don't make up stuff, plz. Boot size is foot size!
He's right. It's foot size that's more important for determining waist width. It's your foot that acts on the board (through the boot). So board width should be based on the length of your foot, no matter what boot you choose to stuff it in!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Alright, well my ACTUAL foot length is 26.125 cm.

I haven't really decided yet, I only live 20 minutes from Chicopee (I know it's a craptastic hill in the grand scheme) but more cost effective for my learning I would think.

Tags
first board, help snowboarding, new rider