Bindings Flow Vs "Toecaps" - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
ketchupgun

Default Bindings Flow Vs "Toecaps"

Hello...(first post...hi!)

I'm 32 yo.
190 lbs
5'9"
11.5 size boots
I ride with nothing specific in mind...lots of off-piste, carving, freeride, dabble in the park, moguls..like to take lots of jumps off anything...but nothing too dedicated. I usually spend about 4-5 weeks of solid riding per season (xmas in Quebec or Vermont and Feb/Mar in Verbier Switzerland). I've been riding for like 10 years...and my wife/lifetime snow-partner is a skiier (but of equally advanced skill as me).

My board is an Option Booter with Flow AMP9 bindings.

[/background]

So I started using Flow bindings two years ago to speed things up with my skiier wife...and the ease of in-out with them is AMAZING, and I really love them. I am curious though about these Burton bindings with this toe cap business. And I have missed EVERY SINGLE demo day so far.

Can anyone shed some light on the differences / advantages of these strap in bindings vs the Flow? Keep in mind, I'm not out to compete or become the next Terje. I just go out to have fun with my wife. Money is no problem. But I'm just curious about trying a different binding.

And which Burton binding should I look into if I want to try? I see the red customs? or the cartel? Not sure

thx in advance.

Last edited by ketchupgun; 12-15-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What a toecap/capstrap does, is it goes around and over the boot. This holds it down and pulls it back into the heelcup. It doesn't have the pressure points of a regular strap.

But if you're on Flows and you like them, there's really no reason to go back to regular straps.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

cartels are great bindings, people love there customs as well, but i would get the cartels over the customs..

if you like your flows a lot, you may not like other bindings though
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
thomas.s.miller

Default k2

hey also look into k2.they have s similar desing to flow excelpt with normal straps called the clintch.and they also have the new auto strap.both are awesome and i rode my friends autos.amazing bindings.thinking about getting some next year.but yea man check those out.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
ketchupgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
cartels are great bindings, people love there customs as well, but i would get the cartels over the customs..

if you like your flows a lot, you may not like other bindings though
Can you elaborate on the Cartels vs Customs? why. what kind of riding do you do.

Very true: I may not like other bindings. I always HATED straping in. and since my wife skiis...the faster I'm in the better. Hence my flow revolution a few years back.

Though, I'm headed to Verbier in Feb...and I just learned hey have a full time Burton Demo House. I'll be checking out this toe cap business for sure.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
cenzor

I currently ride an 08 Burton Bullet with Flow Flite Five's. I also have used my Rome Targas on it as well and the only difference other than the easy in and out, is i feel slightly more response with the toe strap on my Targas. (which if you were not aware can be convertible from over the toe to over the boot). But if you are just fine with the flow keep using them by all means. Especially if you want to keep up with your skier wife when you get off the lift, keep the flows.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
ketchupgun

hey, just wanted to thank everyone for their two cents. I'm gonna demo thos eburton's and I'll post my comparisons.

One ting that Flow pwns at is the fact that once you FINALLY do get your bindings to fit just right, they will always keep that exact same feel, everytime you're in and out. This is because they are made of an extra terrestial synthetic that has it's own memory properties. It was discovered in Juptier.