5k Jacket??? Picture included - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Joetaff

Default 5k Jacket??? Picture included

okay so I bought a DC Arpent Jacket and it looks tight, the only problem is that it only has a 5k waterproof rating with fully taped seams, I keep reading online how that is bad, but I am having trouble understanding how it could not keep me dry. I ran it under the faucet, and the water beaded off. I am having a hard time seeing how snow could penetrate a jacket if a stream of water couldn't. I mean I am not someone who rides in pouring rain all day, The places I go are Utah and some local place in Indiana. I feel like those 15k and 20k jackets are overkill. Isn't the most important place to have higher waterproofing in the pants??? mine are 10k rated and I feel like thats more than enough. I don't know though, Is there something I don't understand here?? I remember back when I first started boarding I wore a water "resistant" zero exposure jacket I got from Macy's and I dont ever remember being wet in that......

Anyone else rock a 5K jacket that can back me up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sick-Gnar

iu dont rock a 5k jacket.

i rock a less than 5k jacket.

i see getting the 10 and 15k ones just to have it.

but right now i wear a timberland jacket that has no waterproofing or breathability rating that i can see and it keeps me warm dry and toasty.

I do have 10/10 nomis pants though.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I used to live in Indy and I can say that I had a 5k jacket. Don't go in the rain. It is miserable. It may not get to your skin or anything, but the jacket picks up about 10 pounds.

EDIT: I was perfectly warm and dry in the powder.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sick-Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I used to live in Indy and I can say that I had a 5k jacket. Don't go in the rain. It is miserable. It may not get to your skin or anything, but the jacket picks up about 10 pounds.

EDIT: I was perfectly warm and dry in the powder.
im planning on getting a 10/10 jacket at least for the rainy and snowy colorado days coming up.

Arent there a few companies that make 20k jackets?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Probably. That seems like the equivalent of wearing a wetsuit. I never had any problems with getting wet so I never saw a need to buy a 190k jacket.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i rock a 5k critically taped and 20k pants. my point is waterproofing is one of the last things im looking for in a coat, as long as it has something..the reason you can run it under water and nothing happens is because with snow, it will stick on, melt, become standing water that will eventually penetrate the layer. but when is your coat going to really get that wet??????? other then on your sleeves or if its raiing
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

5k will keep you dry in most cold temps where they snow isn't slush. But you need to be careful when buying a jacket with only 5k waterproofing because the windproofing is usually low as well and can be a bit cold. I remember back in the day when 2k was the standard and 8k was going for $200
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yesterday was pretty cold and dry at Whis and it's not like I spent the day on my ass, but at the end of the day, my ass was still totally soaked. My pants? Just 5K. So, moral of the story is that the rating means something, and I'll likely end up investing in a new pair of pants between now and soggy spring conditions. Maybe something a little more steezy too...I opted for plain black pants when I started out, but I think I'm ready to rock something a little brighter.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag⋅net⋅ism View Post
Yesterday was pretty cold and dry at Whis and it's not like I spent the day on my ass, but at the end of the day, my ass was still totally soaked. My pants? Just 5K. So, moral of the story is that the rating means something, and I'll likely end up investing in a new pair of pants between now and soggy spring conditions. Maybe something a little more steezy too...I opted for plain black pants when I started out, but I think I'm ready to rock something a little brighter.
pants are a totally different story though.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Joetaff

Yea I have 10/10 pants, I figured I would get a higher waterproof rating in the pants because you are obviously sitting down alot. but I just don't think a high waterproof jacket is as imperative

Last edited by Joetaff; 12-16-2008 at 01:13 PM.