North face waterproof rating? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
MadRopes

Default North face waterproof rating?

So I bought this jacket the other day:

http://www.evogear.com/jackets/the-n...te-jacket.aspx

I tried asking the guy in the store about waterproof ratings as northface doesnt have ratings (5k, 10k etc). He gave me this 10 minute lecture that I didnt really understand... Anyways, in the end I bought the jacket anyways cause it was marked down from 450 to 235.

How does northface rate the waterproofing on their jackets? Is this jacket 10k or what? It says 2L, does that mean anything?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The link doesn't work, so I can't speak to the jacket in specific. But 10k, 15k, etc. is a common measurement. If you plan on going in the rain, I don't recommend anything less than 10k or it will get waterlogged and you may get wet. There is a great explanation of the waterproof/breathability ratings on this site.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
MadRopes

I understand about what 10k and 15k is.. what im asking is how northface jackets are measured, because they dont have a rating (10k 15k etc). The guy in the store just said its "waterproof"

here is a diff link:

The North Face Hustle Stripe TriClimate Jacket reviews and information - Trailspace.com

I dont know why taht other one desnt work.

Last edited by MadRopes; 12-15-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, they discuss the way they rate stuff on their homepage:

The North Face - Research, Design & Development

If you can decipher that. I can tell you that if it is made with Gore-Tex, even Ron Jeremy wouldn't be able to penetrate it.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
MadRopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
Well, they discuss the way they rate stuff on their homepage:

The North Face - Research, Design & Development

If you can decipher that. I can tell you that if it is made with Gore-Tex, even Ron Jeremy wouldn't be able to penetrate it.
lol @ ron jeremy comment.

Its not gortex, its hyvent... I guess all hyvent jackets are the same amount of waterproofing?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, based on the highly descriptive cartoon drawings () on their site, it is supposed to be waterproof and still breathable. I don't know why they can't just have a normal rating for the stuff. Wish I were helpful on this one, but I just don't know. Maybe someone here knows more.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
BoardingBurnt

I've sat through a North Face product knowledge session where they pretty much for 3 hours taught us about their products. The reason they dont put the mL rating on their jackets (or anything for that matter) is because they feel it confused the customer into believeing that something of like 30000 ml rating is what everyone needs when most of the time 5 - 10 thousand will do. Since we sell their products in our store they told us exactly this..."If it says hyvent its as waterproof as you'll ever need it to be" so if you have a problem with hyvent give em a call and say its not....but i doubt they put the same mL rating in all their jackets, that would be absurd.....but I do own a hyvent winter jacket and am pleased with it, so far its as waterproof as I'll ever need it to be
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
MadRopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardingBurnt View Post
I've sat through a North Face product knowledge session where they pretty much for 3 hours taught us about their products. The reason they dont put the mL rating on their jackets (or anything for that matter) is because they feel it confused the customer into believeing that something of like 30000 ml rating is what everyone needs when most of the time 5 - 10 thousand will do. Since we sell their products in our store they told us exactly this..."If it says hyvent its as waterproof as you'll ever need it to be" so if you have a problem with hyvent give em a call and say its not....but i doubt they put the same mL rating in all their jackets, that would be absurd.....but I do own a hyvent winter jacket and am pleased with it, so far its as waterproof as I'll ever need it to be
nice post. thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
BoardingBurnt

glad i could help
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

some nice info about north face. it makes sense, but it really tells how bad north face has sold out there die hard climbers and whatever other sports use there outerwear as equipment rather then a fashion statement....with that said, they still make great products with great customer service
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote