New guy here with my gear choices...hopefully im close - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
jamesbernatchez

Default New guy here with my gear choices...hopefully im close

Whats up all, Ive decided to give snowboarding a try this year. I am 6', about 175-180lbs, 24 years old, size 13 shoe. A few years ago I tried out my friends board(Soloman something in I think a 161) on a hill near me and found it fun.

I just picked up a cheap board, an '07 Burton Bullet 164 wide. I like the way it looks...probably a real good reason to buy a board I still need everything else(bindings, boots, clothes, helmet, goggles, etc!) I am looking into some Burton Cartel bindings but plan on going and trying some different boots on once I get bindings and get them on the board. There is a skate/snowboard shop right down the road from me which will help. Im not looking for top of the line stuff but also not really cheap either(besides the board, I guess).

My main question is this: Is my board too big to learn the basics on? It seems that if I end up wanting to get more into freestyle or park riding I would probably want a shorter board, maybe around 159 or so.

If I really take to it I will probably end up getting another, higher end board during the season.

Any thoughts about my board will be helpful. Thanks

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Holy crap. That board is actually quite big for your weight. And what you should have done was to buy your boots first. Seeing as that you have big SHOES, it might would definately be a benefit to go try stuff on, and try to find something that'll allow you to downsize.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
N~R~G

i think they should invent some sort of boot simulator, lol. because in my (very inexperienced) experience in buying boots i'll try them on, walk around, yada yada. it isn't until i actually try to ride in them that i find they don't do good...pressure points or whatever. so if there was like a snowboarding simulator ride inside the shop where we could strap on the boots & pretend to ride, maybe we'd get a better idea of how they actually fit.

or am i the only one that's had this issue?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nope. You're not the only one. It's really just a matter of trial and error...and very expensive trials and errors at that!
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
jamesbernatchez

Thanks guys! I plan on getting a nice set of boots and bindings that will last me a while. As long as I can learn on this board im happy. If I decide to get into freestyle or park I will look at a shorter, twin tip board.

My dad who is 46 started riding two years or so ago. All I know is that he has an Atomic board. Pretty cool I guess, not too many dads I know snowboard