Which Snowboard would be best? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
SnowBun

Default Which Snowboard would be best?

After doing doing some reasearch and testing I have narrowed it down to 3 boards:

-Rome Lo-Fi
-Rome Vinyl
-Omatic Benatar

Lo-Fi : True twin; stance setback: centered
Vinyl: Setback twin, directional (different websites are giving me different info); stance setback: centered
Benatar: Directional; stance setback: 2cm

I'm looking for a more mountain board rather than park (although capable of carrying itself over). I also want something that I can ride switch with.

I ride in upstate NY/PA; pretty bad conditions

I'm not a great rider, so I need something that will serve me well at my level, yet also can be progressed into.

Please let me know what you guys think. I know there's not many people here with knowledge of women's boards, but any input at all is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The vinyl is raved about everywhere i read it, but i couldn't find one for my wife in the right size. So i ended up with the Atomic fallen angel. Which has also got tons of good reviews. Both of those are considered all mountain though. Not sure on the other two.
-snowjeeper
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
SnowBun

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the '08 and '09 models of the vinyl?

I'm not so much concerned with park since I can't even get my toe breaks down perfectly yet. I just need a board that will allow me to progress and become a better boarder.

Is it much more difficult to ride switch with a directional as opposed to a true twin?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I honestly haven't had problems riding switch even with full directional rental boards. I don't think there's any differences in the vinyl 07-09. If you can't find any last year vinyls (i couldn't) check out the fallen angel.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
SnowBun

I found an '08 vinyl for 240. Is that a good deal? The cheapest for this years model that I saw was 296.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yeah that's "ok". I've been fighting against buying an Atomic hatchet for 240. When you take a look at it, that's only 50 bucks off a new one from this year. It's not much of a discount. It's probably the best price you're going to find on a new one from last year. Like a month ago they were selling some for around 215, but inventory has dried up. As you can tell I've spent a while trying to find boards and making up my mind
Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
SnowBun

it's just so hard because it's my first board

I rode the Lo-Fi and Benatar, they were both pretty nice. They did not have a Vinyl when I went demo-ing, which is why I'm reluctant to get it.

The Lo-Fi felt jittery and bouncy when I started to pick up speed; is that normal? I felt every single bump beneath me. Any idea why?

As far as the Benatar goes: it wasn't bad at all. I felt pretty stable on it, but switch was a bit awkward. I don't know what the difference in tech between the two are (I don't know the lingo).

Benatar:

Shape: Directional
Effective Edge: [149cm] 1130mm
Waist Width: [149cm] 243mm
Sidecut Radius:[149cm] 8.2m
Stance Setback: 2cm
Core Material: INTELLIGENTCORE (vertically laminated poplar with air channels)
Base:SINTRUDED
Recommended Use: All-mountain
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Vinyl

Shape: Directional
Effective edge: [149cm] 1155mm
Waist width: [149cm] 242mm
Sidecut radius: [149cm] 7.72m
Stance width: [149cm] 19.5-22.5in (49.4-61.4cm)
Stance setback: Centered
Core material: Pop Core Matrix (wood)
Base material: SinterSpeed
Recommended Use: Advanced freestyle

Last edited by SnowBun; 12-16-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i'm guessing the vinyl is much better than those other boards, but being a guy I can't tell you from experience.

here read up:
The World of Snowboarding through Fembot Eyes: 2008-2009 Snowboard Review

scroll down quite a ways, and it's down there. She also has multiple years of reviews if you scroll all the way down.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
SnowBun

i read that earlier this morning!

I am leaning more toward the Vinyl now; just kind of disappointed that it does not match the rest of my gear (I know that sounds silly, but all of my stuff is black/white/red and the board is blue ).
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the only thing i didn't want was a white board. too easy to lose in the snow lols.