Layered wax - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Layered wax

I know I read something about this a month or more ago, but I can't remember where or what the thread was called, so apologies in advance if this makes anyone chew their cabbage twice

When I waxed my board a month ago, I put on an all-temp wax. But at Whistler this past weekend it was more than apparent that I should have had a cold-temp wax -- I could barely move on really slight inclines my board stuck so much!

My question is this: can I put a cold-temp wax on over top of this all-temp wax, or should I clean my base first? As well, when I need to rewax after that and (likely) put an all-temp on, should I clean the cold off? OR is it ok to have layer upon layer of different kinds of waxes??
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All Temp wax should work regardless, it sounds like you just have too much wax on your board possibly and didnt scrape it all off?

Going to a cold wax may definately make you move faster in your conditions but All-Temp shouldnt make you stick to the snow...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
hotsauceaddict

you need to clean it first. layering it is like sloppy seconds... only the first in line gets a smooth, clean glide... same for wax
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It depends on how cold it is. If the temps are hovering in the low teens are lower, I have found that all temps will start to stick. I've even had problems with cold temp waxes as most of them are designed for temps above 0. Swix and a few others make very cold weather waxes which work great in those super cold temps.

Anyway, back to your questions. It never hurts to clean your base before a waxing. It's not like you have to rub it out (heh) big time. Just get the base clean on it and wipe it down. Then go ahead and wax the board. If you have any wax residue, say from where you didn't scrape it off the first time, by all means scrape it off. Otherwise, spray on the base cleaner and wipe it off. You'll get ride of dust, particles, and such by doing that before you wax. If not, you're fine to just wax it. I got a hunch your board will perform a lot better with the cold weather wax on.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
It never hurts to clean your base before a waxing. It's not like you have to rub it out (heh) big time. Just get the base clean on it and wipe it down. Then go ahead and wax the board. If you have any wax residue, say from where you didn't scrape it off the first time, by all means scrape it off. Otherwise, spray on the base cleaner and wipe it off. You'll get ride of dust, particles, and such by doing that before you wax. If not, you're fine to just wax it. I got a hunch your board will perform a lot better with the cold weather wax on.
That helps a lot...though I read in another thread that multiple layers of wax are good for conditioning your base, so it's not necessary to base-clean every time you apply new wax... or does that theory go out the window when you're layering different temps?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Cold wax first, then all-temp.

If it's cold, the all-temp will burn off anyways. If it's not so cold, the all-temp will do its job.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
AAA

Yes, having the wrong wax on is no fun. Ideally, you'd brush out as much of the current wax as you can and then apply one coat of cold temperature wax. While it's still quite warm, scrape the wax off. A "hot scrape" pulls more wax from the base than a cold scrape, meaning you'll remove most of the all-season wall. Then rebrush and rewax with cold temperature wax. Wait until that cools to scrape and brush for structure. Hot scrapes work well to clean a dirty base, too.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great advice! Danke!