This years freestyle/park set up - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile This years freestyle/park set up

I've been riding for 4 years. My current board is a 2010 154cm Capita Indoor Survival, I love this board and its going to be hard to let it go, but its time for a change.

Im 5' 9", 160lbs. I live on the East end (Canada), usually riding groomers or hard packed conditions. I find myself riding 75% mountain and 25% park, a lot of my riding is freestyle based, hitting kickers, doing spins (180's, 360's), buttering, and the occasional bombing down the hill. I find my capita holds up to my riding style, but might be a touch too long and soft. Ideally I'd like to get on something that has great pop, and rides a touch below the medium flex meter. I want to advance my riding skill but still have that freestyle/do what ever type board.

This year I'm looking for a new board that basically slays the mountain but still offers a playful feel (like my capita)

Help me decide between these (Ideally I'd like a 153cm but most are 154)

Bataleon Whatever (154) Goliath(153) or Boss(154) (how do you guys like the tbt?)

I'm worried that the Boss might be to flexi while the goliath may be to stiff to butter and press on?

I will be pairing one of these boards with the 2014 Flux DS binding

Last edited by forumyb; 11-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.
forumyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Im slightly sceptical about the TBT on the bataleon and the rocker on the stepchild, im used to a flat board (capita) and I really liked it.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I haven't ridden tbt just because I'm unsure how it'd handle the ice around here. What part of eastern Canada are you in? I rode rocker on my Westmark last year ans it held a decent edge but that had the grip-tech which probably helped a lot. You may want to stick to flat/RCR/or traditional camber if you're worried about edge hold.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you're looking for a good park/jibbing board, and still wanna cruise the mountain perfectly, I'd highly recommend the Forum Youngblood Doubledog.. Made for park and all mountain.
I just ordered mine yesterday! My Capita will be my secondary board, which i also love!

The Youngblood DD has a doubledog profile, which is cambered under each foot, and rocker in the middle, and rocker on the nose and tail.

Hope this helped!
Good luck on your search my friend
JPOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
I haven't ridden tbt just because I'm unsure how it'd handle the ice around here. What part of eastern Canada are you in? I rode rocker on my Westmark last year ans it held a decent edge but that had the grip-tech which probably helped a lot. You may want to stick to flat/RCR/or traditional camber if you're worried about edge hold.
Thanks for the advice mate, I was also looking at this years Westmark, this board seems to be getting good reviews across the board. Good to get some advice from an East ender. I ride south Ontario (blue mountain) predominantly but will be visiting tremblant and vermont this year.

I used to ride a traditional camber board and it just doesn't feel playful enough, I'm willing to sacrifice some edge to edge performance for butteriness.

Last edited by forumyb; 11-09-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOW View Post
If you're looking for a good park/jibbing board, and still wanna cruise the mountain perfectly, I'd highly recommend the Forum Youngblood Doubledog.. Made for park and all mountain.
I just ordered mine yesterday! My Capita will be my secondary board, which i also love!

The Youngblood DD has a doubledog profile, which is cambered under each foot, and rocker in the middle, and rocker on the nose and tail.

Hope this helped!
Good luck on your search my friend
My first snowboard was a Forum Youngblood back in 2008 before the rocker/RC boards became a craze. I did like the board, I just wasn't crazy about the stiffness it had for a park board. Im sure the board has come a long way since, I will check it out. Thanks homie
Old 11-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumyb View Post
Thanks for the advice mate, I was also looking at this years Westmark, good to get some advice from an East ender. I ride south Ontario (blue mountain) predominantly but will be visiting tremblant and vermont this year.

I used to ride a traditional camber board and it just doesn't feel playful enough, I'm willing to sacrifice some edge to edge performance for butteriness.
I think you'd enjoy the Westmark. I grabbed a Salomon Villain and it feels like it will be super fun. Camber but the contact points lift when weighed so snappy but still not as catchy as regular camber. Hopefully Nivek can chime in, he seems to know his park decks.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
I think you'd enjoy the Westmark. I grabbed a Salomon Villain and it feels like it will be super fun. Camber but the contact points lift when weighed so snappy but still not as catchy as regular camber. Hopefully Nivek can chime in, he seems to know his park decks.
I think the Westmark seems like a fun ride and the fact that it comes in the 153 is appealing, I'm not saying that its a low end board in terms of its price point, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more on something with some more tech (sintered base, etc). Hope you enjoy the Salomon!

I can get a good deal on Stepchild and Bataleon boards at my local shop, thats why im leaning more towards these two.

Last edited by forumyb; 11-09-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumyb View Post
I think the Westmark seems like a fun ride and the fact that it comes in the 153 is appealing, I'm not saying that its a low end board in terms of its price point, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more on something with some more tech (sintered base, etc). Hope you enjoy the Salomon!

I can get a good deal on Stepchild and Bataleon boards at my local shop, thats why im leaning more towards these two.
That makes sense, I had the 2012 Westmark with the sintered base. It sucks they changed it, that thing is super fast. I like the look of the Stepchild. As a park board it should work fine. I am interested in trying tbt, from the sounds of it you'll either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in between with it.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I noticed that it's a love or hate feeling towards TBT. I rode one last year for mayb 2 runs, not enough time to really feel it but I cant say I hated it.

Again, my riding style is roughly 80% all mountain freestyling 20% park, mostly medium sized jumps and intermediate boxes (not to into the rails). I need a very versatile board

I think it's between the BOSS or the GOLIATH at this point lol.

Last edited by forumyb; 11-10-2013 at 12:34 AM.