men's bindings for a girl - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
kMc

Default men's bindings for a girl

so i know i should get women's bindings because im a girl. but i have big ft, size 9-10(womens) boots, and im tall 5'9. i havent been riding very long. would it be a bad idea to get mens bindings instead of womens?
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kMc View Post
so i know i should get women's bindings because im a girl. but i have big ft, size 9-10(womens) boots, and im tall 5'9. i havent been riding very long. would it be a bad idea to get mens bindings instead of womens?
Nope, you're about the same size as me, I ride only mens bindings, no real difference usually except the women's might be softer flexing and sized smaller... which isn't needed when you have size 10 womens feet lol.

9-10 womens is about 8-9 in mens so get a binding size for 8-9 mens should be fine... just remember you probably don't want a hardcore stiff binding as a beginner.

I "get" women's boards but I personally think women's bindings is just marketing to girls who care about flowery patterns on their gear! Nothing wrong with em though but certainly not needed.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
kMc

yea, i have a womens board too, neversummer infinity-r, i was worried about the bindings being too wide for the board but im assuming they wont be.

Last edited by kMc; 12-18-2008 at 01:45 PM.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kMc View Post
yea i found a good deal on last years 390s, so i mean, i dont see what the huge difference is anyways. i have a womens board too, neversummer infinity-r, i was worried about the bindings being too wide for the board but im assuming they wont be.
Nope as long as you get the right size.... good board choice too Same board as me LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd just like to say that REAL women's bindings are built differently to fit a woman's anatomically different legs. Women have lower calf muscles and wearing a men's binding can cause pain. I wouldn't buy men's unless you have tried them and feel ok in them. And if you buy women's boots, they will not fit well with men's bindings.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I'd just like to say that REAL women's bindings are built differently to fit a woman's anatomically different legs. Women have lower calf muscles and wearing a men's binding can cause pain. I wouldn't buy men's unless you have tried them and feel ok in them. And if you buy women's boots, they will not fit well with men's bindings.
um, I've ridden about 30 pairs of bindings in my life I seriously have never felt what you describe. Bindings are adjustable enough that this is not an issue. I've ridden women's boots and men's boots, little difference there either except for sizing, how much women's gear have you ridden?

You talk about the calf, I find a lot of boots can be loosened at the top thus this isn't an issue.

Ski boots is another story however.

Last edited by BCsnowboardchik; 12-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

None, because I wear gender specific gear. Companies don't make women's gear for craps and giggles. Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean every other woman will be the same.

Women's bindings ARE different than men's. That doesn't make it illegal for a woman to wear men's bindings, just strange. I'm simply stating the facts, you can get sand in your crack about it if you want.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
None, because I wear gender specific gear. Companies don't make women's gear for craps and giggles. Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean every other woman will be the same.

Women's bindings ARE different than men's. That doesn't make it illegal for a woman to wear men's bindings, just strange. I'm simply stating the facts, you can get sand in your crack about it if you want.
Wow that's rude, how is it strange? I don't think it's strange at all. People are way too brainwashed into thinking things should be as marketing tells you. If you have a foot that is the size of a guys it'll fit into a men's binding. Want to see my setup?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here, if you don't want to listen to a man, take your advice from a woman:

YouTube - Differences between Men's and Women's snowboard bindings

I'm not being rude, I'm just saying that there IS a difference and if you don't try before you buy, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Here, if you don't want to listen to a man, take your advice from a woman:

YouTube - Differences between Men's and Women's snowboard bindings

I'm not being rude, I'm just saying that there IS a difference and if you don't try before you buy, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Ok well I found the sand in the crack thing to be a bit unecessary, can we not talk about this without name calling?

My boot is no narrower then a mans boot unfortunately. The back of my boot is straight, there is no calf involved, just the curve of the boot.

I already said the sizing is different.. I ride a size 9 mens. if you have a tiny foot like a lot of women then it makes sense. I am saying for me and perhaps other women who have "bigger" feet there is hardly a difference.

Currently I ride mens Saolomon, K2 and Burton bindings, and I don't think it's weird, they all fit just fine. I used to ride womens salomon dialogue but switched to 32 lashed.

I am 5'8"

I am certainly not against trying first! I just have a personal thing against flowery petals, like that should make me want to buy the binding