Looking for freeride board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dalau

Default Looking for freeride board.

About me:
Weight: 125 lbs
Height: 5'7"

I ride mostly blues. I can't stand the shallowness of green slopes, unless it's long and has some good bumps. I'm not at a level to ride blacks yet. It's that, and I've also only been on blacks when it was icy, so I can't say for sure if I'm ready, but for now, I'll say I'm not. I ride goofy the whole way, and only ride switch if I hit an awkward situation that calls for it for a turn or two.

My current board is a Rossignol Mini 123. Not exactly the best board for freeriding. heh. I got stuck on some flat sections with my skier friends, so it wasn't too fun there. It's a little difficult to ride a good, clean carve on the board, since it likes to drift b/c it has a smaller surface area to hold me in during a turn.

I'm not sure what to look for in terms of flexibility/stiffness, as this is only my second season, and I've only been on the Mini, and two rental boards. My budget is anything around $400 and below. (I really mean $400 retail, so that I can find some steals online for around $250.)

I haven't been to a store to check out any boards, but I did a little bit of research online, and am considering the following:

K2 Podium (2008-2009)
Forum Roost (2008)

I also looked at the Rossignol Alias (2006-2008). Would that work for what I'm looking for?

What other boards should I consider? How do the older models compare? What length should I get? .... and finally, which would be best for me? I'm light, as seen at the top, so I'm not sure how small to go.

Thanks!
-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dalau

el bumpo del dia.

I did a little bit of research and will probably settle on the Forum Roost. For size, would a 155 work, or should I go for a 153 or a 156 or a 159?

Also, is it worth an additional $50 ($210 versus $260) to get the 2009 model over the 2008 model? I like the 09's graphics better.

Thanks!
-Dan
Old 12-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

i ride a K2 Podium and love it. i don't know too much about the Roost, but for your height and weight, i'd go with a 155 or something similar. i'd avoid 159 unless you like a really big board. keep in mind though, a cm difference isn't going to kill you or anything. for comparison, i'm 5'11'' and 150 lbs, riding a 158 board. i do mostly freeride and i think my board size fits me perfectly. it's really based on personal preference though; some people may like a larger board than others.

there usually isn't a significant difference between models throughout the years, at least not that i know of. i'd say drop the extra $50 if you feel it's worth the better design, seeing as you'll be riding on it for a while.
Phr34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

im about the same weight and height as you, just an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier.

i ride a 154, the palmer flash. i freeride also but i like to have the option of hitting the park every so often. the size fits me nicely.
Rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dalau

hmm... I did some more digging on both boards, and am pretty even now between the Podium and the Roost. Has anybody here, besides Phr34k, also ridden either of these boards? What type of riding do you mainly do?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 123 for real? thats not even like snowboarding? lol

a 155 is too big for you for sure unless you are just riding pow..look for a 149-151 if you want a good size for you for an all mountain board

Last edited by jmacphee9; 12-20-2008 at 02:07 PM.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
a 155 is too big for you for sure unless you are just riding pow..look for a 149-151 if you want a good size for you for an all mountain board
i kinda figured he was going to use the board mainly for pow...guess i didn't think he may like freestyle too .

yeah i'd think low 150s would be nice. i got a 5'7'' buddy who's 140 lbs and rides a 157. he says it's a good size for flying down the mountain, but not ideal for the park.
Phr34k is offline   Reply With Quote