Screw DIY, need help with factory split!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Screw DIY, need help with factory split!!

Ok, so I have completely given up on the idea of splitting my Charlie at the end of the season and I have just decided to start looking for a factory. I am going to deal hunt starting after x-mas when I get my bonus, but I am willing to pay for a quality board that I will have for a few seasons pending major damage to the board for some reason. I know there is a full forum dedicated to split boarding, but I have no presence over there and I feel that it's rude to sign up and start asking noob questions. I believe that here it's already expected of me ^_^ So with that being said I know some people here split and can probably help me out. I need help narrowing down the splits I should be looking at. My everyday board is a 154 DoA, my pow deck is a 158 Charlie. I really like both of these boards in how the feel and ride. I had a 158 Berzerker early last season and found it to stiff.... I think... in the end I didn't like it and sold it. I won't start riding the board until the end of the resort season at White Water and even then will only be using it within White Water boundaries this season. Next season I will be doing my Avi course and will start to venture out more. I want to be able to use the board in various conditions from tits deep powder up Kootenay Pass to early spring sloppy shit. So my thinking is something from 158 - 162 maybe? Maybe something with camber underfoot and then rockers out? I don't ride much switch as it is, so a twin is in way way a necessity and would think directional makes more sense for me. I know I don't want a super stiff super tank as I know I won't enjoy riding it. Also, I can get Sparks at like 10% above cost from my local shop for I am about 99% sure I am going to go with Magentos, unless some one has a compelling reason it's a bad decision. Any ways my current list is as follows:

Jones - Solution 158/161
NS - SL Split 158/161
Prior - BC Split 158/161
Prior - Khyber 160
Olive - Exodus Split 158 (locally made in Canada)

Any ways I totally open to any other suggestions that I am missing, and I do appreciate the help!
atr3yu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll weigh more with a backcountry pack, especially if you are going on long tours. My pack is definitely on the heavier side. I would expect it to weigh 15-25 lbs pounds when loaded. So a bigger board then what you normally ride as a pow stick. 6cm longer has been the general rule of thumb.

As far as profiles go. I prefer rocker or flat between the bindings. When you push with you feet you are driving that down into the snow. If it is camber you're not. Well not nearly as effectively. Camber outside the the feet works well because of much the same reason above. Though I like a nose that has some sort of early rise profile to it. Just to male getting up on top of the snow easier and make breaking trail easier. The latter being something that you will probably do a lot of and it is hard work.

Since you are not going all I for this season, I would gamble and wait for late spring sales. Unlike 10 years ago, new splits are going for half off frequently at that time of year. There is some market saturation now. Even with my little rant, pretty much all splits work just fine. For your first one I wouldn't get too overly picky. It is kind of like when you got your first board. There will probably be some deature you'd like to have once you have been out there awhile.

There is a thread I think Pout put up, that had K2 Panoramics for under $400. If you are going to pull the trigger now that is a great price for a good split.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thank you killclimbz for the input it is much appreciated. If following the 6cm rule and my normal board is a 154 then 160ish should be right on the money. I know late spring will get me the best price but I am super keen to start at the end or march. I'll see where the deals take me.

I do hope more people chime with some opinions though
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

You need to decide if you want a pow stick or crud basher. Winter pow missions are different to spring riding obviously so knowing when you will use it is a big help in choosing board
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
You need to decide if you want a pow stick or crud basher. Winter pow missions are different to spring riding obviously so knowing when you will use it is a big help in choosing board
If I had to choose based on what the board would get used more for I would go with pow stick. Clearly the mission is always to surf the white wave.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

for deals check the secondary market...seeing some great, practically new ones here for great prices...i think a lot of people have seen j.jones, gotten splits, then found out it was....work
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
for deals check the secondary market...seeing some great, practically new ones here for great prices...i think a lot of people have seen j.jones, gotten splits, then found out it was....work
I am assuming your talking like craigslist, geartrade, here, splitboard forums, etc?? I have seen a few decent deals locally as well, I just need to wait for my X-mas bonus. I also want to find a board I am stoke on as well as that shalf the fun right??
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

yep, craigslist, 2nd Hand sport stores, swap sheet, word of mouth, bullitin boards..anywhere. start calling it in , Law of Attraction baby
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassMT View Post
I was having breakfast last year at the lodge mid mountain at whistler when some dude went splitting by on his way to god know's where, he must have started hours before dawn to get up there by 730. crazy.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was fondling a K2 ultradream split at MEC the other weekend.

Rocker nose and tail, zeror camber along the board, with a tapered tail.

Also there is (? Last I checked) a jones mountain twin 159 split package on calgary kijiji at the moment. $1000 bucks
hoots_manuva is offline   Reply With Quote