NS Proto VS. ????? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default NS Proto VS. ?????

So for my 1000th post, I figured I would start a thread that would actually benefit the community a bit.

I, and everyone else on here, have been seeing tons of members purchasing NS Protos left and right. I am guilty of it. But the other day, I was wondering what boards compare to the Proto, and then it dawned on me, why not have a thread dedicated to twin tip boards with similar riding characteristics?

This will provide two opportunities for the forum: first, we could just refer to this thread every time someone has a Proto comparison question, second, it will give everyone that claims there are better options available to supply makes and models that are competitive. I think everyone could benefit from putting some of the warped negative energy on here to positive use.

I encourage anyone who posts here to supply the name of another board that compares and WHY it compares, or at the VERY least comment on another board that was brought up, however a short review could be very beneficial in helping people make decisions in the future.

Characteristics of comparison decks should include: Twin tip shape, all mountain flex, and some sort of hybrid camber. If anyone has ridden any of the boards listed, add in what you thought about it.

I don't think things like base construction or topsheets should eliminate options, but they can certainly be used to compare in a review if someone prefers.

Soooo... I'll go first.

My submission is Smokin' Snowboards Superpipe. Twin shape, sintered 6000 base, mid-flex, hemp stringers, magnatraction. Made for jumps, but is a true, do everything board. I have not ridden it, but I bet it compares quite well. What is really cool about these boards is that they can be ordered with three different camber profiles. Full camber, camber with a hint of rocker in the center, and full hybrid camber with rocker between the bindings. The hybrid shapes do cost more, increasing the cost of the board to around $550.

Comparo boards:

Arbor: Blacklist/Westmark
Burton: Process Flying-V (lighter but softer), Custom Flying-V
Capita: DOA, Outsiders
Flow: Rush or maybe Era
Gnu: Riders Choice
K2: Happy Hour
Lib Tech: TRS, Hot Knife
Nitro: Uberspoon
Ride: Buckwild, Machete, Buck Up
Rome: Agent Rocker
Salomon: Assassin, Time Machine (directional twin)
Smokin': Superpark, Buck Ferton
YES: The Greats (2013)/The Asym (2014), Basic

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 11-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No reviews but I'll add three boards I'm seriously considering along with the Proto.

Salomon Time Machine. Not a true twin, but directional twin.
K2 Happy Hour
Nitro Uberspoon.

These are the boards I identified from BA's reviews then did further diligence on wherever I can find info.

I keep flip flopping between the HH and the Time Machine. I want a lot of pop, and to be able to charge yet play around a little (I'm ordering a dedicated bear mountain board the Rossignol Rocknrolla for jibbies and small jumps).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I rode the Burton Process Flying V. Its quite similar on paper but felt much lighter and a little softer. Felt like it'd not do as well for all mountain really, but a beginner could have an easier time on it. I didn't come away wishing I'd bought one instead of the Proto at all, but I really want to try the camber version now.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nice. I'll add any boards to the first post.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am considering the T.Rice Pro and the Proto.
I need a wide board so in particular the Proto HDX and the T.Rice is a mid wide, not sure I can get away with it but would be keen for any comparisons on anyone that has ridden both?
Note, I understand the T.Rice changes shape in the larger sizes to be more of a pow ripper, so talking the mid-shorter boards that are actually true twins for this comparison.
Without riding them, just looking at the specs I believe the T.Rice maybe better for ripping groomers and smoothing out crud, while the Proto (when broken in) maybe a little better for including rails and boxes in your run, but still both overall, both pretty poppy, chargin all mountain twins!
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Trice is a beast, so keep that in mind. I think the Rider's Choice would be somewhat similar to the Proto from Mervin.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yep I really don't think the T. Rice works as a comparison. It is much more of a big mountain board. The TRS would be a much better comparison.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 11-13-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

YES The Greats
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I agree, sorry my comparisons really are just for wide boards. The problem being the TRS is not available in a wide option. Would love to have the TRS in a wide as it sounds awesome! I guess I got on to the T.Rice because its about as close as I can see to the HDX, in a wide (mid at least) board to suit my riding style.
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRide View Post
Yeah I agree, sorry my comparisons really are just for wide boards. The problem being the TRS is not available in a wide option. Would love to have the TRS in a wide as it sounds awesome! I guess I got on to the T.Rice because its about as close as I can see to the HDX, in a wide (mid at least) board to suit my riding style.
Not the TRS, I mean the Rider's Choice. Yes it's a GNU but same company different name. These do come in wide, and are not burly like a T Rice would be. I rode one way too long for me (157.5 or whatever it is) and it felt SL'ish but I could be wrong. But the TRice is very burly. Check out the rider's choice.

GNU Riders Choice C2PBTX Snowboard 2014 | evo