K2 Raygun, Angus Amptek or One Amptek - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default K2 Raygun, Angus Amptek or One Amptek

After renting boards for a couple of years, I've decided to buy a board.

But I can't decide between a couple of boards:

- K2 Raygun
- Rossignol Angus Amptek
- Rossignol One Magtek

I like to board all mountain. Just play on all kind of slopes and off course if there is pow beside the slopes,.
Because I prefer to play around, speed is not so important. But if it's possible
to have good or more grip in bad / icy conditions that would be a plus.

Does anyone has experience with both K2 and Rossignol and especially the boards mentioned ? And if so which board would you advice me ?
Shortshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Of the three boards you have listed, the One Magtek will provide you with the best edge hold on hardpack / ice. The MT on it is one of the most aggressive versions out there.

I am an Ice ( East ) coast rider with a number of boards to choose from on any given day and the One Magtek is my go to board on most days. It has great edge hold, will ride pow well enough with your bindings set back and the raised tip and tail will let you spin and play if the mood hits you. It has a nice sintered base and if waxed will let you blow by most everyone else on the hill.

Rossi is often looked at as one of those "ski" companies that make boards, but their boards are rock solid and should you pick one up, you will be surprised by the size of the smile it puts on your face.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe be cautious of the stiffness of the One. Compared to a rental board it will be very stiff.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have no experience with any of these boards but since I've been looking at the very same boards myself I've read numerous reviews and online discussions. From those it seems the edge grip is where the Raygun falls a little short. And it has an extruded base which makes it a little slower. Have you also considered the Rossi Templar?
Anticrobotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Magne-traction is a great tech but heard it comes most handy at high speeds.
Personally I haven't tried it. It may be worth it to demo a board with this tech first before you commit. Some people don't like the feel when carving.

Angus and One are somewhat related other than magna-traction. Same camber/rocker/camber profile. Similar construction, similar flex.

I bought Angus a couple of days ago. Wanted to go with One but Angus was on sale for $194.99 and I couldn't pass up. Can't tell you anything about it though as I'm still waiting for snow.

Check out the Taipan which is supposed to be exactly like Angus just slightly less aggressive. Lower MSRP.

Raygun has good reviews but edge hold and carving seem to suffer compared to Rossis. Also the extruded base puts it in the lower category even if it's top of the class.

After looking more into it, Templar may be the perfect board for you. Not as fast as One or Angus and not as aggressive but does everything right.
I may even buy one to test Magne-traction (reduced to 5 points on Templar). Seen a brand new one from last year for $179.99.

Last edited by DemonPig; 11-14-2013 at 07:48 AM.
DemonPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the usefull comments.

I had my doubts about the 'one' because of the stiffness mentiond by Justin.

Anticrobotic, I've focussed on the 3 boards mentioned, can't remember why I decided to skip the Templar. Probably something with a review...

I've also read numerous review, which one do you prefer so far (anticrobotic) and why ?

And Demonpig, you mention the taipan and the templar. What are the main differences between these two and or would be the reason to go for the templar ?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

I remember why I didn't look at the Templar anymore. The Angus seemed to be more suited to play around all mountain. Specs said full twin and all mountain freestyle, in stead of all mountain and directional shape, but maybe there is not so much difference.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, first of all, I am no expert but all the Templar reviews I've seen give it superb marks. It is not a pro, free ride board as it is too flexy and it is not a perfect park board either but it seems to be best all around, intermediate stick out there. From what I gather it is like One Magtek just easier to ride, not so aggressive. Templar's magne-traction is more gentle with only 5 points instead of 7. So the transition from a traditional side-cut board should be easier. Where I live, (Southern Ontario), all we get is groomed snow and ice... So I also looked for better bite but without compromising the ease of carving and transitions.

Taipan doesn't have magne-traction, other than that very similar. Rossignol claims that Templar is stiffer, most reviewers say the opposite, Taipan is a bit stiffer and faster ... I have no clue which is true.

Rossignol Templar 2014-2013 Review & Buyers Guide
Rossignol Taipan 2014-2011 Review, Price Comparison & Buyers Guide

After doing tons of research on Templar and Angus, I have returned the Angus and ordered a Templar. A bit sad because graphics on the new Angus are just beautiful. Templar is more conservative but function over form!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortshore View Post
I remember why I didn't look at the Templar anymore. The Angus seemed to be more suited to play around all mountain. Specs said full twin and all mountain freestyle, in stead of all mountain and directional shape, but maybe there is not so much difference.

You are correct - Angus is a true twin (but with an offset) while Templar, Taipan and One are all directional twins.

I've been riding mostly on a true twin board last year and to be honest, I largely stayed in my "native" regular position, rarely goofy. For occasional switch a directional twin is not that bad anyhow as it is shaped the same way on both ends, just with a different flex. And you should be able to centre the bindings still, most of these boards have a slight offset only.

So, bottom line, if riding switch is very important to you and you see yourself splitting time 50/50 between regular and goofy then yes it makes sense to get Angus. On the other hand if you only switch ride occasionally then a directional twin will be better.

Furthermore, Rossignol's website recommends Taipan through beginners to advanced, Templar - intermediate to advanced; Angus and One both for advanced to expert. All boards are in the all-mountain classification.

Footnote:
Overall, I am impressed by the price points Rossignol offers. Comparable boards from Ride, K2, Burton, etc., are much much more expensive. Never really paid attention to Rossi before...

Last edited by DemonPig; 11-14-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

First of all, thanks for all the feedback. Nice to get some extra information about the templar. And after reading more reviews about this board, I'm (almost) convinced that this is the best board for me at the moment. I'm just not sure about the right size board.

158 cm should be good compared to my weight, 78-79 kg (172-174 lbs), but because i'm not so tall (height 170 cm, +/- 5.6/5.7), and because I prefer to play around instead of racing down the slopes, one size shorter, the 155 cm version, is probably a better length for me.

If there is anyone with experience with the templar magtek and could advice about the best length snowboard for me, please let me know...Thanks in advance.

Tags
angus amptek, k2 raygun, one magtek, rossignol