Another Newbie needing gear advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another Newbie needing gear advice

Hi,
Last season I rented all my gear and took a lesson and I am Definitely gonna stay with the sport. I am still very inexperienced, but can handle all the basics, so I am looking for a set up that is forgiving enough for the newbie but will be good enough to last me a few seasons as my skills improve. I'm looking for an all mountain freeride set up, money is not the most important thing to me as long as the gear will not be shot after only one season. I'm a 39yo male, 5' 7", 180 pounds, 7.5 regular shoe size, do most of my riding in Vermont and New Hampshire and felt most comfortable last season riding Goofy. Any advice would be really helpful, there are just soo many choices out there that it gets really confusing. I've check alot of the posts here and also checked alot of the manufacturers web sites and based on that I think I need a board that is between 150 to 160 cm, but not sure how to tell which ones have the right flex for me, also not sure if softer or stiffer boots are better for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Celt943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

get a stiffer board, they are more stable and are better in turns. Softer boards are for park and pipe
Old 09-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ SHREDDER 28
get a stiffer board, they are more stable and are better in turns. Softer boards are for park and pipe
Just don't post, ever.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Snowolf, thanks for all the detailed info. What do you think about a brand new Burton 155 Cruzer with burton Custom bindings? I might be able to pick them up for about $150.00. Would the 155 be to small a board for me 5'7" 180 7.5/8 boots? Thanks for all the help.

Mike
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bump up in length, and look at different boards from different companies. The Cruzer is an entry level board. Look at something like the Rome Solution with the Arsenal bindings. It's a set-up that'll allow you to learn, but won't hold you back once you reach a certain point.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Boarderaholic, Thanks alot. The cruzer with bindings was so cheap, that I figured I'd ask you guys if it was worth getting. That's what is great about this forum, you guys keep newbies like me from wasting money. Thanks again.

Mike