Never Summer- Vario Power Grip tech? MTX? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer- Vario Power Grip tech? MTX?

Can someone explain the Never Summer Vario Power Grip to me? is it the same concept or similar idea to the Libtech MTX? Someone explained MTX to me as it was similar to a serrated steak knife compared to a traditional straight sharp knife. I'm looking at the NS picture and it doesn't seem like it's wavy looking like the MTX on, say.. a Skate Banana. I mainly don't quite understand the shallow or deep radius of it. Maybe someone can create a quick ms paint picture to explain it.

What's the bevel on sat a NS SL-R then, and would people create a bevel to it like -1&1 or -2&2?
Same question to Skate Banana, seems like this one is at 0&0?
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer539 View Post
Can someone explain the Never Summer Vario Power Grip to me? is it the same concept or similar idea to the Libtech MTX? Someone explained MTX to me as it was similar to a serrated steak knife compared to a traditional straight sharp knife. I'm looking at the NS picture and it doesn't seem like it's wavy looking like the MTX on, say.. a Skate Banana. I mainly don't quite understand the shallow or deep radius of it. Maybe someone can create a quick ms paint picture to explain it.

What's the bevel on sat a NS SL-R then, and would people create a bevel to it like -1&1 or -2&2?
Same question to Skate Banana, seems like this one is at 0&0?

From reading the description, it is nothing like MTX. It's just that the Vario Power Grip sidecut isn't just a single radius sidecut all the way through. It has multiple radii.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

a "normal" snowboard's sidecut is completely rounded. never summer's boards are straight in the middle of the sidecut, then it starts to curve slightly, then the curve gets to a maximum deepness. hope that made sense
ABagofButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

im no expert, but the way it was told to me was that NS Vario Grip is like magne traction, but only at the binding inserts instead of down the entire length of the edge....
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

to give you an idea of how both of them ride I have Vario Grip and MTX boards both with rocker-camber profiles. I ride in mountain creek in NJ and its an ice rink all year long.

MTX is better for ice but i wouldent say its alot better. But the serrated edges on MTX dont carve as smoothly on hardpack as the Vario-Grip. If your a first year or beginner snowboarder who rides alot of ice i guess i would pick MTX but if you been riding for 2 or 3 years the difference is hardly noticeable, and wouldent choose a board based on this criteria.

Now if you ride ICE all the time and i mean no snow get an MTX board with camber. I used to have one that i would bring to the mountain after an ice storm and it would rip!
Soawsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABagofButter View Post
a "normal" snowboard's sidecut is completely rounded. never summer's boards are straight in the middle of the sidecut, then it starts to curve slightly, then the curve gets to a maximum deepness. hope that made sense
Holy Shit

This thread is 3 yrs old... I'm sure the OP either figured it out by now or gave up
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote