Need Salomon Powder Snake Info :-D - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Salomon Powder Snake Info :-D

Hey guys

How you like the powder snake as an "intro" powder board.. ?

I have an lets call it old FLow infinite 163 camber and a 157 Ns proto and if we happen to run in to some fresh snow it would be great to have a board thats a little more suited since i love that fluffy white gold.

I live in Denmark Europe which makes all of our trips planned in advance and because of the that im not so keen on dropping big bucks on a powder only board.

Im around 185 lbs and have been looking at the 163 - 165..

any difference between the 13 and 14 model. ?

/ Cheers guys
The-Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pow snake and the charlie slasher are great entry pow boards until you're ready to drop serious coin. You may also be able to find a nos jones hovercraft on the cheap
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds great what are you thinking about the size.. I'm probably just over 190 Lbs geared up..

163 or 166 ?

/Cheers
Old 11-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

personal preference, the 63 will be more agile the 66 will have increased float
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah thats what im thinking too ..

Prob gonna be the 12/13 model in 163 then, since i can get it 162 buck cheaper than the 13/14 models.

Thanks man

/Cheers
Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I haven't ridden the pow snake yet, but have been doing alot of research on it and checked it out in person a few times, both new and used demos. It seems like it breaks in quite a bit softer and I'm worried it might be too soft for what I'm looking for right now. The Sick Stick is pricier, but the added bamboo seems to make it a bit stiffer and more in line with what I'm looking for personally, plus is supposed to give it more pop.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I dont want a noodle for sure but iv'e actually read the opposite. I couldn't find all the places where i read it ecxept here:

2012 Salomon Powder Snake Used and Reviewed ę

Personal Thoughts: Iíve always dug the Sick Stick which the shape is based off of, but that deck just never held up like a traditionally built deck. This board delivers in that aspect but is actually a bit stiffer in my opinion than the Sick Stick. Over all itís a fun ride for playing around in the pow and with the $400 price range it makes a pow deck a bit more accessible to the masses.

/Cheers Snoopy
Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Snoopy View Post
I dont want a noodle for sure but iv'e actually read the opposite. I couldn't find all the places where i read it ecxept here:

2012 Salomon Powder Snake Used and Reviewed ę

Personal Thoughts: Iíve always dug the Sick Stick which the shape is based off of, but that deck just never held up like a traditionally built deck. This board delivers in that aspect but is actually a bit stiffer in my opinion than the Sick Stick. Over all itís a fun ride for playing around in the pow and with the $400 price range it makes a pow deck a bit more accessible to the masses.

/Cheers Snoopy
Yes, I have seen comments like this as well. Frankly, I think they are misunderstandings/misperceptions. I own a Sick Stick and have tried the Powder Snake and IMO the stiffness is about the same but the flex is very different - the Sick Stick is way more snappy.
Downside of the Sick Stick is that it is not very durable. After ~60-70 days of riding it softens up quite a bit - and by that time the bamboo top sheet typically has a bunch of marks as well, even when predominantly used in powder.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

It do sounds like the snake got a more "surfy" feel to it.

I don't want a noodle when its broken in, but what are you thought's on it. Is the flex too bad ?

/Cheers
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Snoopy View Post
It do sounds like the snake got a more "surfy" feel to it.

I don't want a noodle when its broken in, but what are you thought's on it. Is the flex too bad ?

/Cheers
Nah, that is not the way that I would put it. Snake is just less snappy/lower energy than the Sick Stick. To put it differently the Stick can do anything the Snake does in terms of relaxed pow surfing, but it has that extra boost in case you want liven it up.

And it is not that the Stick turns into a noodle, it is just that is kind of loses that extra boost after a while. But then again, how many people put that many days on their dedicated pow sticks...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote