new to never summer dilema - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_darsh View Post
hit up NS directly. i emailed them a while back about something not even snowboard related and they were super nice. i'm sure they are busy at this time of year and may take a bit, but i'm sure you'll get a response
i thought about that but one of my concerns is with them hyping up what they call " mid wide" width and saying its responsive more similar to a standard width and not like the other wides out there. i dont want to get the sales pitch, just honest feedback. i guess it couldnt hurt to shoot them an email though
lowfill707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfill707 View Post
i checked out that chart a few days ago, its not as useful as you would think considering the max weight on the bigger boards stop at about 220 which is BS.
Email info@neversummer.com or Facebook the guys at NS they will help you out... very friendly and will be happy to tell you which way to go if you have your heart set on a NS board...
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Keep in mind that the cobra is essentially an sl with blunted ends and a slightly tapered tail for better powder performance. This makes switch a little wierd, so you need to decide if you value switch (sl/heritage) or powder (cobra) more.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 on contacting NS. Vince is super cool and won't blow smoke up your ass. He's a straight shooter and with detail will tell you which direction you need to go.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Keep in mind that the cobra is essentially an sl with blunted ends and a slightly tapered tail for better powder performance. This makes switch a little wierd, so you need to decide if you value switch (sl/heritage) or powder (cobra) more.
good point. im not switch enough to have that be a huge concern and even if it is a little weird im sure its still manageable. i didnt realize the cobra had a different taper than the sl though.
lowfill707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
good point. im not switch enough to have that be a huge concern and even if it is a little weird im sure its still manageable. i didnt realize the cobra had a different taper than the sl though.
It does not. Cobra is 100% not tapered. But the tail is spaded and the nose drawn out.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
It does not. Cobra is 100% not tapered. But the tail is spaded and the nose drawn out.
Sorry, brainfart. I thought spade and typed taper.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
i could but that wasnt really the point, ive been really wanting to give NS a shot after hearing so much hype. sorry if i wasnt clear enough in the original post, maybe i should elaborate a little more on what info i was hoping to get. the 2 main things would be: is the 164 going to work for me weight wise, and are the wider offerings from NS as responsive as they advertise or are they just another wide clunky disappointment. thanks for the response though, i really hope that doesnt end up being my only option. and obviously internet info will only go so far without me actually getting to try them out, i just dont have that option
If you do anything, go for the 164 Cobra. The added stiffness will be needed at your size... and the SL may feel a bit too flexy. The tip/tail shape and hybrid camber will give you enough float to make you happy for sure. For what its worth, the C2 shape in Lib and Gnu boards is so close to NS, they got in to it over patents, so if it's the camber shape you are after, a C2BTX board from Lib/Gnu will make you happy as well.

As for all the hype, yes there is a good amount for good reason, but if you looked at other forums, you would see different boards get hyped, and their reasons are just as legitimate. Don't let some positivity for one brand make you think there is negativity surrounding others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
I'm in the 190-200 lb range, size 10.5 boots, cobra 161. I could get away with a 158, but powder days would suffer. It's plenty responsive edge to edge, holds a carve line very well, will go as fast as you care to let it. Overhang is about as much as I think it needs to be.

At 275, and with size 11.5 feet, your gonna need to stay on a wide.

My opinion is that for what you describe and with your size, you need a 166 cobra x, assuming you want to go never summer.
DON'T GET A WIDE BOARD. You have had how many decks that are wide and you think are sluggish edge to edge? That is NOT because of the board construction it is SOLELY due to width! I bet you would be infinitely happier on all those boards you tried had they been regular width. You really don't need a wide board unless you are over a size 12 boot. I can ride a 25.3 cm waist all day with my size 11s and not have any toe drag. People think you can't have more than half an inch of overhang but you can absolutely handle around 2 inches without toe drag unless you are doing belly dragging carves.

Whatever you do, do not get a wide board. There is no need. If you get a regular width NS, you will probably think it is the best board in the world, but in reality, it will simply be due to the lack of an extra cm of width.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 11-22-2013 at 12:20 AM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not sure what boots you are using but they have boots with shrink tech which reduces the outer shell foot print by a whole size. In case you are worried about drag with a regular width board.

Last edited by Mystery2many; 11-21-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
If you do anything, go for the 164 Cobra. The added stiffness will be needed at your size... and the SL may feel a bit too flexy. The taper and hybrid camber will give you enough float to make you happy for sure. For what its worth, the C2 shape in Lib and Gnu boards is so close to NS, they got in to it over patents, so if it's the camber shape you are after, a C2BTX board from Lib/Gnu will make you happy as well.

As for all the hype, yes there is a good amount for good reason, but if you looked at other forums, you would see different boards get hyped, and their reasons are just as legitimate. Don't let some positivity for one brand make you think there is negativity surrounding others.

DON'T GET A WIDE BOARD. You have had how many decks that are wide and you think are sluggish edge to edge? That is NOT because of the board construction it is SOLELY due to width! I bet you would be infinitely happier on all those boards you tried had they been regular width. You really don't need a wide board unless you are over a size 12 boot. I can ride a 25.3 cm waist all day with my size 11s and not have any toe drag. People think you can't have more than half an inch of overhang but you can absolutely handle around 2 inches without toe drag unless you are doing belly dragging carves.

Whatever you do, do not get a wide board. There is no need. If you get a regular width NS, you will probably think it is the best board in the world, but in reality, it will simply be due to the lack of an extra cm of width.
Good post, I agree with most of that.

For the OP, his problem is that he is a big dude with relatively small feet.

164 Cobra could work. He could also consider the 162 Heritage - sacrifices some effective edge, but is a bit burlier (good considering his weight) plus a touch wider both due to WW and sidecut (which will give him extra margin of safety on the boot overhang).

BTW, contacting NS support is hit & miss - they told me once that sizing is all personal preference (true), but that they suggest going with the 'between chin and nose' method (bullshit).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cobra, legacy, never summer, wide