new to never summer dilema - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
I'm in the 190-200 lb range, size 10.5 boots, cobra 161. I could get away with a 158, but powder days would suffer. It's plenty responsive edge to edge, holds a carve line very well, will go as fast as you care to let it. Overhang is about as much as I think it needs to be.
Agree with that. I am at 145lbs and traded up from the 155 Cobra to the 158 because I ride a lot of pow and the 155 simply did not have enough float (the spading actually does not really help in pow, but the longer nose does a bit - in fact, it should be drawn out even more gradually IMO).

Quote:
At 275, and with size 11.5 feet, your gonna need to stay on a wide. I haven't ridden a custom, but I can tell you that the cobra has much faster edge to edge than other boards of the same size that I've ridden. I realize that's not much of a reference, but my point is that board shape, rocker design, etc make a big difference in feel.

My opinion is that for what you describe and with your size, you need a 166 cobra x, assuming you want to go never summer.
Like BigMountain, I disagree with your points about needing a wide boards - see my other post.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
If you do anything, go for the 164 Cobra. The added stiffness will be needed at your size... and the SL may feel a bit too flexy. The taper and hybrid camber will give you enough float to make you happy for sure. For what its worth, the C2 shape in Lib and Gnu boards is so close to NS, they got in to it over patents, so if it's the camber shape you are after, a C2BTX board from Lib/Gnu will make you happy as well.

As for all the hype, yes there is a good amount for good reason, but if you looked at other forums, you would see different boards get hyped, and their reasons are just as legitimate. Don't let some positivity for one brand make you think there is negativity surrounding others.

DON'T GET A WIDE BOARD. You have had how many decks that are wide and you think are sluggish edge to edge? That is NOT because of the board construction it is SOLELY due to width! I bet you would be infinitely happier on all those boards you tried had they been regular width. You really don't need a wide board unless you are over a size 12 boot. I can ride a 25.3 cm waist all day with my size 11s and not have any toe drag. People think you can't have more than half an inch of overhang but you can absolutely handle around 2 inches without toe drag unless you are doing belly dragging carves.

Whatever you do, do not get a wide board. There is no need. If you get a regular width NS, you will probably think it is the best board in the world, but in reality, it will simply be due to the lack of an extra cm of width.
you just nailed it on the wide boards, im trying to avoid them if at all possible. and yes ive had 3 wides and 10+ regular widths. i did have an issue with toe drag on ONE board but that was it over all these years. as for the lib tech/gnu options i was looking at the 165 gnu billy goat pretty hard but i have had so many friends and family have issues with lib/gnu boards breaking in some way over the years(stories of rail issues, laminate seperation,etc.) im a little gun shy with them. my issue was never with board width, its length. NS only offers the lengths im looking for(atleast for the models i was looking at) on the wide models with the exception of the cobra which they bumped up to 164. everything else ends at the 161/162 range. the 162 i have now was just a little too much work in the pow so i wanted a little bump. i think your right though, the 164 cobra is looking pretty good right now. i just know id feel a little safer going with a 165/166. but whats 1cm really?

Last edited by lowfill707; 11-21-2013 at 11:16 PM.
lowfill707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Do you ride duck? What are your typical stance angles?
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrinkle View Post
Do you ride duck? What are your typical stance angles?
yes but a little more angle on the front then the rear binding. i couldnt tell you the specific degrees i have them set right now.
lowfill707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Agree with that. I am at 145lbs and traded up from the 155 Cobra to the 158 because I ride a lot of pow and the 155 simply did not have enough float (the spading actually does not really help in pow, but the longer nose does a bit - in fact, it should be drawn out even more gradually IMO).

Like BigMountain, I disagree with your points about needing a wide boards - see my other post.
Fair enough, everyone has opinions. I'm betting you have a lot more experience on different boards than I do, based on other informative posts you out up.

Still feel a 164 non-wide won't be floaty at all with a 275 lb rider. Your 155 on a 158, I'm 195 on a 161. He needs bigger than 164 I think. Wide adds area, which will definitely help float. Not out of the question to ride a wide with 11.5 feet. Also a good point someone made about "small" feet relative to weight making this a little tougher to choose. Going from 255 to 269 waist only adds about 1/2"...

I had a premier F1 and while it carved on rails, it was fairly slow edge to edge. Took a lot of input to get it to change direction, which is exactly why it held lines well, but it's not what he's looking for.

Maybe a raptor 169? Haven't been on one but people who have say it's quick edge to edge, the length is better for his weight, as is the extra stiffness. Hmmm.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfill707 View Post
yes but a little more angle on the front then the rear binding. i couldnt tell you the specific degrees i have them set right now.
Ok so you could get away with something as narrow as a 255 waist width and up to 265 which is typically the wide models... I wouldn't go smaller than 161 for your weight but I think you need to look at finding Stiff to Very Stiff to support your build and still be fun... 161 for you would be more of a park board for a little guy and 165+ more of a powder board... but again I think the stiffness of the board is what your after...
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned!

Just get a Rad Air Tanker.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough, everyone has opinions. I'm betting you have a lot more experience on different boards than I do, based on other informative posts you out up.

Still feel a 164 non-wide won't be floaty at all with a 275 lb rider. Your 155 on a 158, I'm 195 on a 161. He needs bigger than 164 I think. Wide adds area, which will definitely help float. Not out of the question to ride a wide with 11.5 feet. Also a good point someone made about "small" feet relative to weight making this a little tougher to choose. Going from 255 to 269 waist only adds about 1/2"...

I had a premier F1 and while it carved on rails, it was fairly slow edge to edge. Took a lot of input to get it to change direction, which is exactly why it held lines well, but it's not what he's looking for.

Maybe a raptor 169? Haven't been on one but people who have say it's quick edge to edge, the length is better for his weight, as is the extra stiffness. Hmmm.
It depends on how much powder he realistically will ride. In my case, the 155 Cobra was not floaty enough for Japan, but would make a perfectly good groomer board in most places. Really not clear how much float he actually needs...
Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Good post, I agree with most of that.

For the OP, his problem is that he is a big dude with relatively small feet.

164 Cobra could work. He could also consider the 162 Heritage - sacrifices some effective edge, but is a bit burlier (good considering his weight) plus a touch wider both due to WW and sidecut (which will give him extra margin of safety on the boot overhang).

BTW, contacting NS support is hit & miss - they told me once that sizing is all personal preference (true), but that they suggest going with the 'between chin and nose' method (bullshit).
They knew it was you so they were fucking with you .
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
They knew it was you so they were fucking with you .
Haha, good one But no, they have been providing some pretty dumb advice to some of our shops as well. Dope boards, but don't believe everything the company tells you.

Tags
cobra, legacy, never summer, wide